Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Disney Analyst

You would be amazed at how much of a factor ROI is at Disney. They will survey and measure every aspect of its impact on the bottom line.

They will very much be expecting it to drive attendance. Nothing is built with ROI, especially something this expensive.

So in this case, ROI is simply ... good reviews?

TheMaxRebo

This feels like it was always a minor addition, meant to flesh out the park a bit more, but now seeming more important due to everything else getting cut...

Exactly - it was supposed to be part of the larger Hub overhaul and the larger Epcot update. If this was opening basically the same time as Guardians and Remy and Mary Poppins, etc it would feel like a nice complement .... But with so much getting cut and the rest spread out, and then Iger saying "Epcot update will b complete with Journey of Water" if feels like it *has* to be a bigger deal than it was originally meant to be

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Exactly - it was supposed to be part of the larger Hub overhaul and the larger Epcot update. If this was opening basically the same time as Guardians and Remy and Mary Poppins, etc it would feel like a nice complement .... But with so much getting cut and the rest spread out, and then Iger saying "Epcot update will b complete with Journey of Water" if feels like it *has* to be a bigger deal than it was originally meant to be
This has happened so many times in recent years when projects are opened in pieces instead of a whole. Even the impact of Galaxy's was hit by the staggered opening.

But yes, Moana, although expensive, was a component of a larger project that did not get fully realized.

But none of that changes the fact that Moana will now be judged as a stand-alone attraction.

Disney Analyst

But none of that changes the fact that Moana will now be judged as a stand-alone attraction.

I think this was the point I am trying to make.

Surely someone at Disney realizes the circumstances, and they must be factoring that in when looking a ROI on this? They too must realize this is at most a nice little addition, perhaps built in a bad location / park, and is not going to move the needle regardless.

Guests need their expectations in check, and Disney does also.

lazyboy97o

I think this was the point I am trying to make.

Surely someone at Disney realizes the circumstances, and they must be factoring that in when looking a ROI on this? They too must realize this is at most a nice little addition, perhaps built in a bad location / park, and is not going to move the needle regardless.

Guests need their expectations in check, and Disney does also.
The big component that was cut and is now missing is the Festival Center that was too small. Most people would have been able to stand under it but access inside and to the gardens would have had to be seriously limited, likely to those willing to pay extra. This was always going to be the problem with Evolving Epcot.

James Alucobond

The big component that was cut and is now missing is the Festival Center that was too small. Most people would have been able to stand under it but access inside and to the gardens would have had to be seriously limited, likely to those willing to pay extra. This was always going to be the problem with Evolving Epcot.
I'm honestly really glad it was cut. Obviously, it was more architecturally interesting, but I didn't like the way it disrupted the gardens and completed removed all sense of the original spatial organization.

Probably not practical, but I do wonder if they could re-use a bit of the concept to hide the left side of the TRON show building from both Storybook Circus and the TRON exit. Like, replace the bathroom building with something akin to the Festival Center, with a chunk cut out of the back to wrap it around the box. A couple of the stilts could extend out into the retention pond. Interior could house a restaurant and restrooms, and perhaps a gift shop if they ever kill Light & Power completely. They could keep the rooftop deck with plantings and decorative walls along the back to fully obscure the sky-blue monstrosity, and it could become a new venue for firework viewing.

yensidtlaw1969

What a mess.

I'm all for adding more nice, simple walkthrough attractions . . . but from the first announcement it felt apparent that this was missing the mark. I can't say for sure since I haven't seen it myself yet, but these reviews aren't surprising.

Imagination has had a compelling interactive Water playplace 30 steps away for 40 years. I don't know what need they really thought this would fill, outside of their own internal IP mandate.

mattpeto

No they will be looking for it to have a direct impact on attendance numbers, guest satisfaction scores, and merchandise sales.
You gotta think this could be the last sort of this attraction we could ever see or will in a long time.

It’s way easier when ROI can be easily quantified by selling Individual Lightning Lanes.

waltography

I'm just happy this will open up the center of Future World World Celebration a bit more, it was a bit hell to walk around Epcot on my last trip with all the walls up in the core.

Notes from Neverland

I think it has had a good amount of promotion from Disney, which has certainly built expectations. Its prime location, and the amount of time taken, will certainly add to that. I would expect that a lot of guests who don't follow this, but are aware its happening are very likely to be expecting some kind of ride as part of this. The walkthrough part being the queue.
Think you nailed it here. Disney's marketing built expectations and there's a lot of people out there who think this is more than just a walk-through attraction. Their marketing has almost nothing else to market given the total lack of projects...but still...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom