Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

MrPromey

given the substantial water pumping/filtration station built to accompany it, I would assume JoW will have a lot of moving water throughout the walkthrough. Looks like it will be open pretty soon so we shall see!
Remember, this is modern Disney we're talking about.

They don't open things just because those things are ready.

Remember Remy?

How long did that sit with the lights off (six months?) until it was time for the marketing campaign they decided to attach it to was ready?

If attendance really is down, I'm sure this is the last time they want to open this.

Waiting until late fall to wedge it between holidays would not surprise me in the least.

Also, keep in mind that the further they're able to push the opening, the further out they can continue to promote it and since we know what the attraction construction slate looks like for the foreseeable future, I can see them wanting to drag their heels as much as they can now that Tron is open.

Bocabear

Pandora was completed and sat for a very long time before opening... Maybe it was to let the landscape fill in... Maybe they are waiting for the plastic plants to blend with the real plants before they open JOW....

Disstevefan1

Remember Remy?

How long did that sit with the lights off (six months?) until it was time for the marketing campaign they decided to attach it to was ready?

If attendance really is down, I'm sure this is the last time they want to open this.

Waiting until late fall to wedge it between holidays would not surprise me in the least.
Agreed, this will not open when its ready, it will be opened when they can make the most money as a result of opening it.

It will be opened when tickets are at peak prices.

DisneyFanatic12

I am am curious what the area will look like at night. Hopefully the water features will light up.
I don’t know about a full synchronized lighting package, but it certainly would fit the new Epcot. Backlit warm-white lights for sure though. Pretty either way, just would be cooler to see a lighting package.

DisneyFanatic12

Agreed, this will not open when its ready, it will be opened when they can make the most money as a result of opening it.

It will be opened when tickets are at peak prices.
Well, they also need a marketing campaign for it, to build up hype for when it does open. I don’t think it will open during a historically pricy time, as price reflects demand. They would want this to generate demand.

Weather_Lady

Remember Remy?

Exactly. The fact that Disney would rather let something that is already so underwhelming sit and rot behind ugly walls that cut EPCOT in two, after guests have already endured years of construction, just for the opportunity to open it at a slightly more visible time, is absolutely galling. Stuff like this can eventually turn fans into haters. (Signed, someone who's already visited WDW after Ratatouille and New Fantasyland were completed, but couldn't experience them because Disney was waiting for a better PR opportunity, and will now miss this Moana thing.)

Last edited:

DisneyFanatic12

They make their nets with the fibers.

You need to gate guests away from the show scene. It tracks for me?

I'm not sure what else could be done?
And they might wrap it with rope by the end of it… this style of netting isn’t very visible, so they probably don’t want a fake rope net/gate.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Exactly. The fact that Disney would rather let something that is already so underwhelming sit and rot behind ugly walls that cut EPCOT in two, after guests have already endured years of construction, just for the opportunity to open it at a slightly more visible time, is absolutely galling. Stuff like this can eventually turn fans into haters. (Signed, someone who's already visited WDW after Ratatouille and New Fantasyland were completed, but couldn't experience them, and will now miss this Moana thing.)
So the assumption is that it is ready to open? Who says it is ready?

MrPromey

It's amusing that this thing has been under construction for years, is almost totally complete, has been extensively photographed... and we still have only a vague, general idea of what it IS.
I'm sure that's because it's going to be mind-blowing and Disney just doesn't want to ruin the surprise.

That sounds like the way modern Disney would handle it, right?

J4546

I think they could have done this without destroying the fountain of nations and stuff, but I actually like much of this reimagining. Sure, Moana belongs at Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom, but it really isn’t about Moana. They probably needed Moana to get the funding for it, so the Moana logo is at the entrance and the canopies are a Moana-inspired print, but it’s more about the water cycle than Moana…

Also, I know people will hate me for this, but the old center part of Future World was a 1990s-inspired concrete jungle.

Overall, I’m neutral about Moana. BUT, I do like all the trees they’re planting in the center area.
same, this new central core is much much better than what was there in the previous iteration imo.

Disstevefan1

Well, they also need a marketing campaign for it, to build up hype for when it does open. I don’t think it will open during a historically pricy time, as price reflects demand. They would want this to generate demand.
Well, the tiered ticket prices are predetermined. The ticket price calendar tells us the price for a ticket for a given day based on the normal peak times, right?

I don't think they have dynamic ticket prices that they change moment to moment like gas prices (YET) ????

I think they WILL open it at a peak price season.

solidyne

Holy ableism Batman! ADA Standards for Accessible Design only require a minimum clearance of 36” for walking surfaces (403.5.1). That less than the 44” clear width an Assembly occupancy building would be required to provide per building and fire codes.
Wait, I'm ableist? I was the one saying that that smaller (36") space should be just fine. You're basically making my point.

MrPromey

same, this new central core is much much better than what was there in the previous iteration imo.
The new central core is a giant dirt pile.

This attraction won't even have an entrance facing the core.

We'll see what there is to the core once they finish building it but from the concept art, it looks like it's going to be the fourth, as of yet unannounced "neighborhood" for the front of the park, "World Landscaping & Retail".

The only reason I can guess or reasonably justify for this area being left a mess for so long now is they needed access to finish this walk-through.

Hopefully they finish the area on the other side at a faster rate than they did the area in front of Spaceship Earth now that major construction on this project seems to be complete.

... then we can properly judge, applaud, and/or mock what they've done after the half-decade of construction that's torn up this half of the park is finished. :D

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom