Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Casper Gutman

When this “makeover” began, what were the primary issues facing EPCOT? In rough order of descending importance, I’d argue they were:

1) Lack of a coherent, guiding vision and theme for the park. This was far and away the most pressing concern.
2) The shameful state of several rides, most notably Imagination but also including Seas and the descent of SE.
3) The lack of desirable headliners and attractive capacity- the biggest rides, Soarin, TT, and especially Space, were notably lackluster.
4) The concrete expanses of the entry plaza and the Communicore area.

What has this “makeover” achieved? It has not only failed to address 1, the core reason for the park’s dysfunction, it has exacerbated the problem with a narratively incoherent GotG and the absurdly misplaced Moana. Point 2 has also been completely ignored. 3 has been somewhat addressed - GotG is a physically exciting ride and an overall positive addition, but it’s also deeply lacking in areas in which Disney rides are supposed to excel: theming, narrative, aesthetics, etc. Despite some improvement, point 3 remains an issue. Point 4 was addressed.

Had you told these boards fifteen years ago that this would be the final extent of the EPCOT makeover, posters would have been dubious or openly derisive. That’s without adding in the information that the process would take nearly a decade and, for much of that time, the full-priced park would be a difficult-to-navigate maze of construction walls. The scale of this “makeover’s” failure is truly impressive.

FettFan

More like a fan that thinks theming matters.

Guardians would have worked in Tomorrowland or as a Rock n Roller Coaster replacement. Epcot should have stayed Epcot.

Also, everyone knows that earth only consists of Florida and ocean. That's it. Everything else is a Truman simulation. Eat my shorts.
“Universe of Energy Solar Coaster - Ride the Sunshine”

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You say it's about telling new, original stories with new characters, yet Awesome Planet does none of that, nor did many of the original attractions in the park.
Not EVERY attraction has to do that... But Figment, Dreamfinder,SMRT-1, Bird & Robot, Buzzy, General Knowledge, the Trolls in Maelstrom, and even the flight attendant on Soarin' are/were so UNIQUE to this park, that they did make a huge difference in the overall experience.

My main argument is not just "Epcot needs only original characters." Read all of my responses.
and in Journey of Water, Moana and her entourage don't even talk. They're literal statues for environmental theming.
You act like this helps your case.

James Alucobond

My main argument is not just "Epcot needs only original characters." Read all of my responses.
Your main points of contention with regard to Moana seem to be that:
  1. It should not have even been considered before they fixed other things in the park, which I think we've established essentially everyone agrees with. There are far more broken things in EPCOT.
  2. It doesn't really belong where it is, isn't an efficient or sensible use of the hub, and doesn't complement or lead into related experiences, which, again, is generally a point only defended by the most ardent of the defense force or by people who simply don't care at all about the logical flow of the space.
  3. It doesn't introduce original, groundbreaking characters or stories. This is where I disagree with the negativity. As long as the attraction isn't about Moana and the plot of her movie but rather about Moana as a guide through the water cycle and a character who can help connect guests to what is being taught, I don't see how that contradicts the mission of EPCOT, new or old. That you preferred the original characters is fine, but there is nothing inherently negative about using existing characters, aside from the obvious temptation to make it all about them and not about what you're teaching. That doesn't seem to be the case here, though this is again with limited visibility into the final product.

If you have other points, you can state them plainly. Most of your direct responses to me were simply that you disagreed or strongly disagreed.
You act like this helps your case.
It is a walkthrough attraction with interactive exhibits. I am not sure what you expect. It's not all that different from Innoventions, just centered on a single topic related to the natural world.

MrPromey

No room - they are busy adding Zootopia there. You see- Zootopia has animals and it’s called Animal Kingdom. It’s a great fit!

Too bad Univeral has the rights to Animal House - another perfect fit for that park. 😔

Actually, given the current state of world showcase, Epcot might actually be the right choice for that one.

Wonder how many people there this time of year might be "inspired to go... into" this attraction after doing their WS crawls. 😏

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Your main points of contention with regard to Moana seem to be that:
  1. It should not have even been considered before they fixed other things in the park, which I think we've established essentially everyone agrees with. There are far more broken things in EPCOT.
  2. It doesn't really belong where it is, isn't an efficient or sensible use of the hub, and doesn't complement or lead into related experiences, which, again, is generally a point only defended by the most ardent of the defense force or by people who simply don't care at all about the logical flow of the space.
  3. It doesn't introduce original, groundbreaking characters or stories. This is where I disagree with the negativity. As long as the attraction isn't about Moana and the plot of her movie but rather about Moana as a guide through the water cycle and a character who can help connect guests to what is being taught, I don't see how that contradicts the mission of EPCOT, new or old. That you preferred the original characters is fine, but there is nothing inherently negative about using existing characters, aside from the obvious temptation to make it all about them and not about what you're teaching. That doesn't seem to be the case here, though this is again with limited visibility into the final product.

If you have other points, you can state them plainly. Most of your direct responses to me were simply that you disagreed or strongly disagreed.

It is a walkthrough attraction with interactive exhibits. I am not sure what you expect. It's not all that different from Innoventions, just centered on a single topic related to the natural world.

Weather_Lady

So… what’s the over/under on this opening earlier than Fall ‘23? If the plumbing is on and they’ve installed signage, seems like there’s not much left to open it.
That's true, but I keep thinking about how Disney finished Remy early, and then let it sit and rot until the time it had announced for opening. I wouldn't put it past them to do the same here. (In truth, I'd _love_ to see it open when we go in August, but I'm trying to manage my expectations. Disney has burnt me a few times now with delayed openings, so now I take an "expect the worst, but secretly hope for the best" approach.)

Last edited:

Incomudro

That's true, but I keep thinking about how Disney finished Remy early, and then let it sit and rot until the time it had announced for opening. I wouldn't put it past them to do the same here. (In truth, I'd _love_ to see it open when we go in August, but I'm trying to manage my expectations. Disney has burnt me a few times now with delayed openings, so now I take an "expect the worst, but secretly hope for the best" approach.)
Given this is a walkthrough, and doesn't require the staffing and training that a ride does - I don't imagine they'll do that.
Plus, even though WDW has dragged on so many of these construction efforts for years I still imagine they have at least some desire to bring some of the walls down in Epcot.

KikoKea

So, is there anything else planned for Epcot after Moana's water area and the celebration building? Are they still going to redo the area directly behind SE, or was that tied to a SE renovation?

James Alucobond

So, is there anything else planned for Epcot after Moana's water area and the celebration building? Are they still going to redo the area directly behind SE, or was that tied to a SE renovation?
Even if they redo Spaceship Earth, I think it's unlikely they'll modify the Project Tomorrow exit as previously planned. They've already reconfigured Dreamers Point to account for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom