Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

tparris

It's going to look so pretty in a few years once all the trees grow, but whyyy couldn't they have built this in Animal Kingdom?? If it was just a generic waterfall garden area it would have been so much better for Epcot.
So you think the exact thing that we’re getting would be perfect for EPCOT if it didn’t have an IP attached to it? That literally makes no sense, especially considering thematic consistency in EPCOT has been dead for essentially decades. What would the lack of IP do to make this experience better in any way? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with shoving IP anywhere without actually thinking of how to tie it in, but I think this one will work.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
He's basically the Disney fan equivalent of a flat-earther. Better to just laugh and ignore.
More like a fan that thinks theming matters.

Guardians would have worked in Tomorrowland or as a Rock n Roller Coaster replacement. Epcot should have stayed Epcot.

Also, everyone knows that earth only consists of Florida and ocean. That's it. Everything else is a Truman simulation. Eat my shorts.

Kamikaze

More like a fan that thinks theming matters.

Guardians would have worked in Tomorrowland or as a Rock n Roller Coaster replacement. Epcot should have stayed Epcot.
And thats why I said what I said - because you don't even understand it.

Your idea of 'theming' is completely limited to 'this is how it was in the 80s and thats the only way it should be'. Just like the outdated thinking of flat-earthers.

The park you're after is dead. Dead. Dead.

GotG fits into 'World Discovery'. Moana fits into 'World Nature'.

The removal of Innoventions (Communicore was removed/renamed in 1994 - nearly twenty (edit: thirty!) years ago - meaning it only existed for 12 of Epcot's 40+ years) can be debated as to whether or not those buildings could have just been re-purposed, but theres no debate that they couldn't fill them for quite a long time before the demo. Most of that space was absolutely wasted.

Nostalgia is a heck of a drug.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Maybe not... mostly because how many people actually have coins with them these days?

I can't remember the last time I paid for something with cash and had change.
You know...
I went from thinking what a disaster coin-wise this area will end up, to thinking "not really" because few other water areas have coins.
Now that you mention this - yes. Very few people are carrying change nowadays, let alone in WDW.
Before I retired from working in Downtown Brooklyn three years ago, I started to feel like I sort of owed the homeless I passed an explanation that because of debits card - I never had change.

doctornick

It's going to look so pretty in a few years once all the trees grow, but whyyy couldn't they have built this in Animal Kingdom?? If it was just a generic waterfall garden area it would have been so much better for Epcot.
why would an attraction focused on the water cycle be more appropriate for DAK? It makes the most sense in World Nature.

Would have been better without the Moana theming - we’ll see how heavy handed it ends up being - but the basic attraction concept is most logical for Epcot.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You act like I still cannot criticize the park in its current state. LOL! Fans will be fans.
True. But they don't fit into EPCOT. ;-)

The idea of EPCOT was fine. It is completely okay, understandable, and accepted to complain about the direction the park has taken on a WDW theme park fan site. There are plenty of us who didn't want Moana, Frozen, and Guardians infiltrating the park. And it is okay to criticize that.

In fact... I'm going to just state that YOU don't understand any of this... And you're probably just as "creative" as the current company management is. Worthless. lol. Glad you weren't part of the designing team when Epcot was built. There would be nothing worth having nostalgia over if that was the case.

There is a reason why OG Epcot has such a strong dedicated fanbase. It was different, it was unique, and it was AWESOME. SHAME on Disney for shoving Guardians into this park and everything else that doesn't fit. SHAME on Disney for continuing to trope Figment as the park's mascot to bank on nostalgia and sell merchandise in the style of retro Epcot when that isn't even what Epcot is anymore.

The park you admire right now sucks. Sucks. Sucks.

wdw71fan

Your idea of 'theming' is completely limited to 'this is how it was in the 80s and thats the only way it should be'. Just like the outdated thinking of flat-earthers.

The removal of Innoventions (Communicore was removed/renamed in 1994 - nearly twenty years ago - meaning it only existed for 12 of Epcot's 40+ years) can be debated as to whether or not those buildings could have just been re-purposed, but theres no debate that they couldn't fill them for quite a long time before the demo. Most of that space was absolutely wasted.

Pretty sure the point is that these items have a place in Studios or MK... AK and Epcot should have been left to be 'different'.. Epcot was doing just fine without jacking with it's original purpose and intent. If you don't think Guardians belongs in Studios, you are wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

No one is saying any of the these attactions are poor attractions. but It wasn't broke.. But they fixed it anyway, and ruined a good thing.

Kamikaze

You act like I still cannot criticize the park in its current state. LOL! Fans will be fans.
You didn't do that. You just said 'this doesn't fit'. Yes, in the state of the park as it is now, they do.
Good thing they are in Epcot then.
The idea of EPCOT was fine. It is completely okay, understandable, and accepted to complain about the direction the park has taken on a WDW theme park fan site. There are plenty of us who didn't want Moana, Frozen, and Guardians infiltrating the park. And it is okay to criticize that.
Again, thats not what you did in this post - you just said 'this doesn't fit because EPCOT'. Good criticism requires good reasoning, and the only reasoning you have is 'nostalgia'.
In fact... I'm going to just state that YOU don't understand any of this... And you're probably just as "creative" as the current company management is. Worthless. lol. Glad you weren't part of the designing team when Epcot was built. There would be nothing worth having nostalgia over if that was the case.
Nostalgia ruins everything. People always think things are better 'the way they used to be'. In nearly all cases, they are wrong.

There is a reason why OG Epcot has such a strong dedicated fanbase. It was different, it was unique, and it was AWESOME. SHAME on Disney for shoving Guardians into this park and everything else that doesn't fit. SHAME on Disney for continuing to trope Figment as the park's mascot to bank on nostalgia and sell merchandise in the style of retro Epcot when that isn't even what Epcot is anymore.
There are lots of things that have nostalgia based fanbases. A lot of them are bad. 80s wrestling. Movies (such as Star Wars fans not liking anything but the OT - or Marvel, theres no way you that that Iron Man 2 or other early MCU is better as a movie than the recent Phase 4 releases, but thats the sentiment you see). The south/confederacy/Dixie/etc. Baseball right now with people complaining about the pitch clock. The list can go on and on. If you consume a lot of these things now, without your nostalgia, you see that they aren't that great. Thats why when you show someone certain things they haven't seen from years ago, they might not be impressed.

The most appropriate term is 'Gatekeeping' because you're gatekeeping 80s EPCOT as some sort of house on the hill that can never be reached.

The park you admire right now sucks. Sucks. Sucks.
I never said I admired anything, please don't put words in my mouth.

I'm surprised you didn't call me out on how long Communicore has been gone (30 years instead of 20), but it looks worse that it hasn't been called that in 30 years.
Pretty sure the point is that these items have a place in Studios or MK... AK and Epcot should have been left to be 'different'.. Epcot was doing just fine without jacking with it's original purpose and intent. If you don't think Guardians belongs in Studios, you are wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

No one is saying any of the these attactions are poor attractions. but It wasn't broke.. But they fixed it anyway, and ruined a good thing.
Epcot had (and actually still has) tons of issues. Saying it didn't is an outright lie.

Could these attractions fit elsewhere? Sure. Did they have to? No.

The biggest argument is actually Frozen. Because the story doesn't happen in Norway.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

EPCOT has evolved over the years into an Eclectic place where the littles don't care they just want to run around and have fun plus the adults can enjoy (the unofficial) drink around the world challenge, guess what!, the adults won't care either.

Alanzo

The removal of Innoventions (Communicore was removed/renamed in 1994 - nearly twenty (edit: thirty!) years ago - meaning it only existed for 12 of Epcot's 40+ years) can be debated as to whether or not those buildings could have just been re-purposed, but theres no debate that they couldn't fill them for quite a long time before the demo. Most of that space was absolutely wasted.

One thing my nostalgia often forgets to add to the picture is how I used to have to be served information and entertainment on the suppliers' terms. Now I can go get both on demand. I still can't make my own thrills though.

Kamikaze

One thing my nostalgia often forgets to add to the picture is how I used to have to be served information and entertainment on the suppliers' terms. Now I can go get both on demand. I still can't make my own thrills though.
You mean oil isn't the greatest thing of all time?

SilentWindODoom

"This doesn't fit the theme of Epcot at all. Put it somewhere it fits like Animal Kingdom."

Frustrated Head GIF

As for the ones who dislike the overall redo... it seems like most people, even the biggest detractors, are saying that they like most of the things done during this time and then finish with "overall it sucks." I understand finding it underwhelming and wanting more, but the math doesn't seem to work out when it's "Eight positives and 2 negatives = -1,000".

No room - they are busy adding Zootopia there. You see- Zootopia has animals and it’s called Animal Kingdom. It’s a great fit!

This looks like it's meant to be sarcastic, but... I can't find the wrong reasoning here. It ain't Lion King teaching the Circle of Life, but the city of Zootopia was thought out to cover the needs and habitats of different species and could be used to teach that. Kind of like how Moana can be used to teach the water cycle.

Is it the IP? Is that the thing? Because edutainment walkthrough seems pretty nostalgic and fitting in the old ways.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
You know...
I went from thinking what a disaster coin-wise this area will end up, to thinking "not really" because few other water areas have coins.
Now that you mention this - yes. Very few people are carrying change nowadays, let alone in WDW.
Before I retired from working in Downtown Brooklyn three years ago, I started to feel like I sort of owed the homeless I passed an explanation that because of debits card - I never had change.
I am a CM at it's a small world in the MK. While it's true that likely much less people carry change nowadays, I can assure you that the amount of people still throwing coins in the water (or just at the walls for some reason) is significant and change will absolutely line pools of JoW. Whether or not that's a bad thing is up to the individual though I suppose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom