Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

CntrlFlPete

some recent pics of the area from the monorail.

20230331_m1.jpg

20230331_m2.jpg

20230331_m3.jpg

SilentWindODoom

Animal Kingdom is about animals. Unless you're going to focus on the underrepresented animals of the Oceania or ocean life, keep Moana out of Animal Kingdom. Maybe, if perhaps, there were a place on property that was all about ocean life, Moana could go in that region.

EDIT: Huh. That was weird. Opened this thread and it showed the posts I was replying to just happening and being the end of the thread, but then suddenly three extra pages sprouted up in the middle.

Last edited:

plutofan15

We have decided not to take our usual several trips a year to WDW until some of the construction is finished. We will do other things this year...though I have to confess with the direction the parks have been taking we have been going less and less each

I hope so too, as a fan of old school Epcot, I admit the park has needed a face-lift for a long time. I just personally don't see this as a draw for park goers. I see it as something they'll walk past or walk through quickly, say "oh that looks nice," before heading straight to whatever "real" attraction (Gaurdians, Test Track, Frozen) they're wanting to do there.

I'm for adding ambiance to the parks and I know Disney is not, and should not, be all about rides per se. I just think this particular attraction is very meh.
I'll wait until it is complete before forming an opinion.

Epcot82Guy

The main issue I have with it is the park placement. I physically doesn't feel connected to the Seas. Bein on the other side of the monorail creates more of a barrier than you might think. Let alone the design styles are very different than those used for the Land and Seas. (And this is from standing in the park itself, not just pictures.) I fear this looks much better on paper and in aerial pictures - but loses its relation to its surroundings when you stand there in person.

Similarly, I am really concerned about the hub. With CommuniCore hall restoring another 1/4 of the circle, the missing 1/4 is going to look very odd. It's like an unfinished home lot in the middle of the subdivision.

Bocabear

Why couldn't Journey Of Water been all outside the monorail line between The Land and The Seas... then it would have actually felt like the lead-in to The Seas... and would have felt like a natural "bridge" between them... But coming from the hub with a break between it and The Seas feels disconnected... Like booking a beachfront room and then finding out it is across the street...

Epcot82Guy

Why couldn't Journey Of Water been all outside the monorail line between The Land and The Seas... then it would have actually felt like the lead-in to The Seas... and would have felt like a natural "bridge" between them... But coming from the hub with a break between it and The Seas feels disconnected... Like booking a beachfront room and then finding out it is across the street...

In a similar way - I actually think it would have been cool straddling the monorail berm. Basically where the ponds are now. Plus, it would have freed up the fourth 1/4. of the hub for something else (albeit smaller).

tparris

Quoted from Iger, from the shareholder meeting remarks video uploaded today: “Journey of Water marks the completion of our spectacular transformation of EPCOT, as we conclude the 50th anniversary celebration of Walt Disney World.”
Interesting that Bob mentioned the end of the 50th in conjunction with the culmination of the EPCOT overhaul, considering the end of the overhaul is supposed to be highlighted during the final stretch of Disney 100 from September-December. Originally I had a feeling World Celebration (or JoW at the VERY least) would be ready to open in September in time for the kickoff of the Disney 100 celebrations in EPCOT specifically, however with him mentioning “final touches” being added, and considering finalizing the landscaping is seemingly one of the only things left to do, is it possible we could see JoW open slightly ahead of the planned “Fall” 2023?

dmw

In the Parks
No
Quoted from Iger, from the shareholder meeting remarks video uploaded today: “Journey of Water marks the completion of our spectacular transformation of EPCOT, as we conclude the 50th anniversary celebration of Walt Disney World.”
Interesting that Bob mentioned the end of the 50th in conjunction with the culmination of the EPCOT overhaul, considering the end of the overhaul is supposed to be highlighted during the final stretch of Disney 100 from September-December. Originally I had a feeling World Celebration (or JoW at the VERY least) would be ready to open in September in time for the kickoff of the Disney 100 celebrations in EPCOT specifically, however with him mentioning “final touches” being added, and considering finalizing the landscaping is seemingly one of the only things left to do, is it possible we could see JoW open slightly ahead of the planned “Fall” 2023?
COMPLETION?!? This transformation is nothing near what we saw in the plans shown in 2019. I wonder if that means that anything not already in construction got canceled.

Bocabear

I think that is implied....They will finish the Communicore Hall building and Journey Of Water, and the central plaza, but I think that is it.
Play and Mary Poppins seem to be on the back burner or cancelled...
*sad trombone

James Alucobond

They certainly look like they could be done sooner, but I had assumed that they were once again slow-playing the actual completion and opening date in order to push certain costs into the next fiscal year.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They certainly look like they could be done sooner, but I had assumed that they were once again slow-playing the actual completion and opening date in order to push certain costs into the next fiscal year.
If they're opening in the Fall, then the entirety of the cost of building it will be in this fiscal year. Disney's fiscal year begins the beginning of Oct.

Disstevefan1

COMPLETION?!? This transformation is nothing near what we saw in the plans shown in 2019. I wonder if that means that anything not already in construction got canceled.
Every D23 they lie follow their script, and we are just supposed to be gaslit into thinking when something doesn't happen, it's a budget adjustment.

Cancelled projects aside, completed to me means no heavy equipment, no active construction, no LADDERS :) , and NO WALLS!

I really don't think all the construction walls will be gone by the time the 100th celebration happens at EPCOT. After all, we celebrated WDWs entire 50th anniversary with walls.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

And SSE…
The modified exit from SSE and just the refurbishment in general are honestly the parts of this overhaul I’m most disappointed about losing. Not sad about the other stuff as I either prefer what we got (Communicore Hall and the now symmetrical gardens over the table) or was not as fully impressed by the plans on paper as I wanted to be (PLAY!, Mary Poppins).

J4546

The modified exit from SSE and just the refurbishment in general are honestly the parts of this overhaul I’m most disappointed about losing. Not sad about the other stuff as I either prefer what we got (Communicore Hall and the now symmetrical gardens over the table) or was not as fully impressed by the plans on paper as I wanted to be (PLAY!, Mary Poppins).
I agree mostly. Im really happy with we got so far, and what didnt happen was the stuff i liked the least. But about the SSE exit, Im kinda glad they kept it as big as it is because I really like all the space and exibits and hope they massively improve/redo it when they redo SSE

Disstevefan1

I was never in favor of the Moana walk through in EPCOT (this is just my opinion) but since I am a fan of the Rock, I am looking forward to the live action version of Moana (this is just my opinion).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom