Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

dreday3

Yeah, folks in the 80s were obsessed with intellectual, staid, slow entertainment like Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone action films, MTV, X-Men comics, and Nintendos and Segas. Unlike today, 80s culture famously emphasized long attention spans and deep, intelligent discussion.

I cannot overstate how much I loathe the “kids today” argument that is CONSTANTLY rolled out to justify the butchering of EPCOT. It combines a total misrepresentation of cultural history with condescension about modern young people all in service of a misguided defense of one of the most deeply stupid things Disney has ever done.

Maybe EPCOT needs a series of pavilions highlighting the cultural history of each decade. Might help.

IMG_20220626_172059_919_resized.jpg

No Name

We always talk about having smaller-scale attractions to offset the big E-Tickets. Yet Disney creates a smaller-level attraction and...?
It was previously full of smaller-level attractions like the excellent Sum of All Thrills. Rockwork and landscaping is a pretty weak excuse for an attraction when it’s historically been part of the design of a theme park.

ppete1975

You're not thinking about the fact that it's an omnimover with a very high capacity, though -- the kind of ride Disney doesn't really build anymore (although Guardians and Rat have great capacity, thankfully). Little Mermaid is an omnimover and yet I think its max capacity is nearly 1k less per hour than Horizons. With attendance levels from that time period, it would be nearly impossible for the ride to ever have a long wait.

It could have 1000+ people riding per hour and still have gaps of 5+ minutes with no one boarding because it could churn through so many guests. Even on the days when they wandered the sets, it could have easily served 10-15,000 people over the course of the day (not saying it actually did, but mathematically it would have been very possible).

Also, as I said, you're looking at it when the ride was old and outdated (which is certainly part of the reason they haven't attempted anything else like it -- they don't want to have to deal with semi-regular updates). It was generally a busy attraction -- the fact that it wasn't as busy on a few random days when it was outdated doesn't really tell you anything about the overall popularity when it was newer.

I'm not even suggesting it was still popular in 1995 (I think it was probably less popular than it was 5 years earlier). I'm just pointing out that the fact a couple of people were able to observe the ride and find gaps in which to jump onto the sets doesn't really tell much about the popularity or number of riders when considering all factors. And it absolutely was very popular at one point in time.
And that there is the BIGGEST problem with early epcot. They built them and left them to rot. WOM, living seas, imagination.. could all still be standing if they had kept up with technology and updates. I know WOM and imagination were corporate decisions but had they been updated could have lasted. Seas could have been amazing. Heck Energy even if it was a super long ride if they had kept up could still be amazing.

Im still shocked that living with the land and SSE are roughly the same as originally built and still loved.
Yes SSE has had some updates and voice changes but its roughly the same ride (with stuff removed)
And living with the land the original wildlife has been replaced (dad joke about the fact the fish have been replaced due to age and being eaten) and although i hope it stays forever, could still have some updates to the show scenes.

Dan Deesnee

Every time I see that art from a few months ago I'm just baffled. All of the actual water appears to be really high up off the ground and contained within the top of the rock formations.

I know it's just art but the whole walkthrough attraction just looks really unusual.

aladdin2007

It was previously full of smaller-level attractions like the excellent Sum of All Thrills. Rockwork and landscaping is a pretty weak excuse for an attraction when it’s historically been part of the design of a theme park.
This, they treat rockwork and landscaping like its some sort of major attraction and use it as an excuse to just look pretty, (the dressing but no salad) trying to pull it off as some big thing hoping guests accept it without needing more. Not to mention the bloated amounts of money they throw into it. Its all about what's pretty now, trees, lights, etc...while the attraction/rides themselves get no love. And yes those things should be nice, but they should not be sold as being attractions and so much money spent just for that. Have to keep instagram happy I guess.

Last edited:

J4546

I don't see disney hyping anything up. Just the few YouTube channels and boards dedicated to Disney parks. It's the smallest part of a billion dollar refresh that included gotg coaster, rat expansion, harmonious, new communicore, space 220, complete entrance renovation and see lighting.....they've done a ton of work so far and people are getting upset about what was always gonna be the smallest part of this. Disney never hyped it up like rat or got, its just a walk through like tsi or tree house. It'll be a pretty walk through experience near the land and seas pavilions that is about the life cycle of water....I do t see a problem with it, nor do I see it as a major attraction. It'd just a cool.little addition that kids and adults an walkthrough and hopefully get a shaded and cool break from the sun.

Casper Gutman

I don't see disney hyping anything up. Just the few YouTube channels and boards dedicated to Disney parks. It's the smallest part of a billion dollar refresh that included gotg coaster, rat expansion, harmonious, new communicore, space 220, complete entrance renovation and see lighting.....they've done a ton of work so far and people are getting upset about what was always gonna be the smallest part of this. Disney never hyped it up like rat or got, its just a walk through like tsi or tree house. It'll be a pretty walk through experience near the land and seas pavilions that is about the life cycle of water....I do t see a problem with it, nor do I see it as a major attraction. It'd just a cool.little addition that kids and adults an walkthrough and hopefully get a shaded and cool break from the sun.
The “smallest part” that has shut down a third of the park for how many years?

J4546

Yes the smallest part. Weird how you say it's shut down a 3rd of the park for so many years as if there wasn't supposed to be a massive 3 tier building built as well, then covid, then that was canceled, and then remade and is now being built, and was clearly a major reason for the delay and slowdown of everything around it... And also that jow doesn't include the entire center of the park which is I agree taking way too long but jow is the smallest part of this overhaul, always has been.

Animaniac93-98

Journey of Water is a direct result of the Festival Center??? I don’t understand or agree. This was announced as a separate thing.

The Festival Center was the primary reason for doing the spine project.

Removing Innoventions West to build the Festival Center is what freed up space to add Journey of Water.

Had the original plans not been approved, it's possible Journey of Water may have never happened.

Haymarket2008

The Festival Center was the primary reason for doing the spine project.

Removing Innoventions West to build the Festival Center is what freed up space to add Journey of Water.

Had the original plans not been approved, it's possible Journey of Water may have never happened.

Fair. Yet, the two projects are existing differently from each other. We don't really know whether or not one would have happened without the other.

I'm mainly speaking on the fact that while JoW is a component of the overhaul, it isn't a part of the proper World Celebration central hub. They are barreling forward with construction in that one quadrant, meanwhile the hub has seen only slight land grading.

lazyboy97o

Journey of Water is a direct result of the Festival Center??? I don’t understand or agree. This was announced as a separate thing.
Fair. Yet, the two projects are existing differently from each other. We don't really know whether or not one would have happened without the other.
Journey of Water was filler for part of the huge amount of space cleared for the Festival Center. We do know that it would not have happened without the Festival Center because the other considerations were to reuse CommuniCore West. Demolishing CommuniCore West was not a given, it was entirely predicated on the Festival Center.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom