Josh D'Amaro comments on rising prices and "additional" or removed services: "An inevitable result of progress"

MissingDisney

I don't pay to park in any mall or shopping center parking lots where I live or anywhere around the area where I live. Hope I don't ever have to.
And yet, for some of us, it’s common.
It just goes to show the extreme differences in people’s experiences and expectations. Those differences are reflected in people’s reactions to Disney as of late.
I probably shouldn’t admit this but if I want to go to Disney bad enough, I am willing to actually pay more than what they’re charging now. But the issue I have is that I am being charged more for less. Much more and much less. I don’t care about hidden costs or what budget line the parking lot maintenance comes from and all that. I just know I’m paying a ton more and not even getting the same as what I used to. That’s irritating.

MrPromey

Parking and several other things that have changed are the difference between "a la carte pricing" model and "bundled pricing." Disney used to be more of a bundle. Until they moved to a la carte. But then they sometimes say they want a cruise ship model, which is bundled. And now this Disney Prime+ (what I am calling it) seems like it is another bundle.

Both are fair business models, and it's completely fair for people who prefer and respond to bundled to get upset about a la carte. But Disney needs to make up its mind about which it wants to be.

Except to use a metaphor, under the bundled model, your steak and potato and broccoli was $25 and now with à la carte they're saying, the steak will be $30 (and two ounces less) but if you want the broccoli, that'll be another $5 and the potato will be $6 - $8 of you want a loaded potato.

If they'd charged less for the steak or at minimum even, kept it where the "bundle" price was, they might have gotten away with the change with people not getting too upset and articles in mainstream media sources writing pieces with titles like "Has Disney finally gone too far?" and then they could have steadily increased prices by a dollar here and there on each new unbundled thing all at the same time for years to come but that's not how Bob C's Disney rolls.

It's like how in articles, they talk about how Bob 1.0's plan was to keep Disney+ priced low and to start increasing it by like a dollar a year to bring it up to where it would eventually sit and how new Bob just decided to jack it all the way up at once which, yes, increases short-term gain but doing it the old Bob's way means not really creating a singular tipping moment where a big group of people at once are deciding "Do I get rid of Netflix or Disney?" on the whole, because the price sort of crept up instead of smacking them in the face.

It was a strategy of subtly.

This guy sees no problem going straight for the jugular which is why so many feel like the "magic is gone", the "company has lost its soul", etc. Maybe it was always like that or maybe it's really been that way for like the last 10-15 years (in my opinion it's the latter) but either way old leadership (by which I mean everyone up until this point) was good at thinking through the company's reputation - at least keeping up the pretenses of legacy.

This one doesn't seem to care enough to even try to hide it and I think it's the brazenness and shameless way people within the company now seem empowered to openly talk about things and take certain kinds of action that is off-putting to a lot of us.

Last edited:

MrPromey

It just goes to show the extreme differences in people’s experiences and expectations. Those differences are reflected in people’s reactions to Disney as of late.
I probably shouldn’t admit this but if I want to go to Disney bad enough, I am willing to actually pay more than what they’re charging now. But the issue I have is that I am being charged more for less. Much more and much less. I don’t care about hidden costs or what budget line the parking lot maintenance comes from and all that. I just know I’m paying a ton more and not even getting the same as what I used to. That’s irritating.

I think that's the sentiment many of us are articulating in our own way. We remember with details - not just nostalgia - it being a lot better for a good deal less which is why paying more to see the husk of what we used to enjoy rubs people around here the wrong way.

I used to enjoy going to Disney. When my son was born and old enough, I enjoyed going with him almost a decade ago although I'd already noticed changes I didn't like. The last few times we went, there really wasn't much I enjoyed about the experience at all. I continued to go for him but it was getting harder and harder and less fun with each visit and of course, prices were creeping up at the exact same time.

They've been burning both ends of the candle at once like it's a race to see which side catches the other side first.

ladybat2

Yes I totally agree with you. That is my issue as well. As I said before, back in the day when Disney was the best vacation on the planet I had to save and skimp for a year to take my kids for a week there and never regretted a single penny I spent there and felt I got all my money's worth. I have not felt that way for the last 3 trips. I'm taking one last one for one of my now adult daughters who is in bad need of it and wants to go so badly. She had an extremely bad past couple of years so I'm giving this to her but I told her this is the last for me. Unless some really epic changes happen to bring it back to what it used to be they will not get another cent of my money. As much as I loved the place I have to accept that its just no longer the Disney that gave me my money's worth. I'll take a shorter vacation to Universal instead and do a spa day at the Ritz in Orlando or go to some other exotic place on the earth.

Lilofan

Or the straw that broke the camels back.

Unfortunately the list of negative changes is long and getting longer by the day. The final straw for a lot of people could be something as minor as parking.
For a lot of people especially in this thread is obvious. When I read the regular quarterly earnings conference call transcripts with Bob and CFO Christine with Wall Street, guest spending says otherwise so will more charges be on the horizon? It is not if but when. Whatever some say about the free parking garage at Disney Springs, that will in the future in my opinion no longer be free.

John park hopper

Not enough capacity.
No nighttime parade.
Not enough daytime and nighttime entertainment for the number the people.
The nighttime entertainment they do have is crap.
Tomorrowland is a disaster even with tron coming.
AK is missing an entire land.
Star Wars land is missing a ride and a restaurant and the full entertainment roll out they were supposed to get.
The imagination pavilion is a disaster.
Wonders of life pavilion is still closed.
Missing new countries in world showcase.
Missing attractions in world showcase.
Not enough F&B options in most of the parks.
Missing streetmosphere.
Disney quest space is a disaster.
Service has been downgraded due to weird cuts.
And as you mentioned, G+ is horrible.

Parking…peanuts.
Maybe peanuts but it all adds up when you look at the big picture

andysol

Yes I totally agree with you. That is my issue as well. As I said before, back in the day when Disney was the best vacation on the planet I had to save and skimp for a year to take my kids for a week there and never regretted a single penny I spent there and felt I got all my money's worth. I have not felt that way for the last 3 trips. I'm taking one last one for one of my now adult daughters who is in bad need of it and wants to go so badly. She had an extremely bad past couple of years so I'm giving this to her but I told her this is the last for me. Unless some really epic changes happen to bring it back to what it used to be they will not get another cent of my money. As much as I loved the place I have to accept that its just no longer the Disney that gave me my money's worth. I'll take a shorter vacation to Universal instead and do a spa day at the Ritz in Orlando or go to some other exotic place on the earth.
If she needs Disney in her life, go to Tokyo.

The cost difference even with the flight is negligible if anything at all.

Animaniac93-98

Parking and several other things that have changed are the difference between "a la carte pricing" model and "bundled pricing." Disney used to be more of a bundle. Until they moved to a la carte. But then they sometimes say they want a cruise ship model, which is bundled. And now this Disney Prime+ (what I am calling it) seems like it is another bundle.

Both are fair business models, and it's completely fair for people who prefer and respond to bundled to get upset about a la carte. But Disney needs to make up its mind about which it wants to be.

Disney wants to sell the convenience of a bundled package, but reap the benefits of upcharges and ad ons.

I find this to be common among many resorts and cruises that sell themselves as being "all-inclusive" but then charge for activity x, service y and restaurant/bar z.

Animaniac93-98

If she needs Disney in her life, go to Tokyo.

The cost difference even with the flight is negligible if anything at all.

This bears repeating. The only thing more expensive about going to Japan vs Florida is the flight. Once you get there, everything costs about the same or less, even Disney admission, food and nearby lodging if you stay in one of the "Official" Hotels near Bayside monorail station.

But a lot of people live within a day or two's drive of WDW and the convenience and comfort of staying in the USA is difficult for some to let go of. Even if the hassle of travelling abroad and the fear of cultural/language barriers are overstated (I don't speak Japanese and didn't have any issues when I was there. They know most tourists don't).

Smiley/OCD

Not sure if you meant to reply to me or not. I was responding to someone suggesting that Disney charging for parking is somehow a competitive response to others who are also charging for parking.

Like usually, when competing for business, you don't do so by seeing other companies do something that is consumer-hostile and then respond by also doing that same thing that would turn customers off as a way of "competing".

You do it because you feel like you can get away with it.
You’re absolutely correct and they do it because they can…I was just adding that even though we don’t agree with it, we pay it because of the convenience…sorry I just attributed it to the wrong person 😀

Smiley/OCD

Exactly. Josh is a revenue management guy. Came up through the sales division and then Consumer Products. His mantra (and why Chapek has continued to promote him) is to squeeze every last dime out of the guest in every way possible. It is about per cap growth - period.

The only difference between him and his mentor Chapek is that one is likable and one isn't.

Josh must sit back and laugh at the rubes who blame Chapek for what he's doing simply because he took a selfie with them. He gets it! He totally gets it!!!
Like the old saying goes…”It’s not what you say, it’s HOW you say it”
Josh gives the vibe of being more likable but he’s corporate just like Chappie…and the first time he p***es him off or appears to be a threat, he too will be on the outside looking in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom