Josh D'Amaro comments on rising prices and "additional" or removed services: "An inevitable result of progress"

MrPromey

We still dropped even with the smaller portions?
Going beyond the headlines it was largely attributed to COVID, making it more of a statistical anomaly than a predictive factor and also something that really has nothing to do with the post they were replying to. :rolleyes:

ladybat2

In regard to the debt part we are a "slaves to debt " society and mindset. And sad to say that the USA average life expectancy I heard in the news recently has dropped 2 years , it's now 76 years.
Well when you consider what all is being done to our food supply its no wonder.

matt9112

ThAts really not the point. Again how is charging for a service that everyone else in the market space charges for “Nickel and diming?”

When they go 20+ years not charging and still make billions with margins that support the entire company….it feels pretty slimy. I still never paid those parking charges from like 4 years ago.

It’s expectation and optics. When I will be at the portofino bay in December I won’t care about the parking fee.
Granted as an AP I have always felt the resort parking fee should be waived since I could park in the garages for free.

Resort fees are trash…..used to have a lower price on hotels.com etc….if I go to my room and just sleep why should I pay 39.99 just make your rooms that much more. It’s so off putting I look elsewhere. All the disney springs resorts charge for parking and resort fees… trash. The industry the norm? It’s hot trash. Stop defending it.

Last edited by a moderator:

matt9112

Every resort in the area charges. Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt. It is a necessity IMO. They need to be able to compete.

Your wrong…. Go across from disney springs area to the palm parkway. A lot of free parking over there. There’s Also plenty of free parking all over I drive.

Yeah paying for parking doesn’t make something fancy…. It doesn’t add luxury.

matt9112

Wait who is trying to spin it? They are a business, the entire purpose of the entity if to make money. Everything is done with an eye to making money. Its why ticket prices and merchandise aren't sold for at cost. The point in this thread is that its NOT a nickel and dime fee, its an industry standard for any resort or major hotel. It would be ridiculous for them NOT to monetize parking as a revenue stream. And again, they have charged for parking for years. You didn't park for free at Epcott, AK, HS, or TTC. People staying off property have been paying for parking for years at WDW. Paying for parking at WDW is nothing new, its just now more people have to share in paying for parking.

Lol all the people that think good business is just making money. No making a lot of money is a result it is the end of the equation. Any visionary any great leader doesn’t sit in a chair “to make money” they are there to answer one question “why do we do what we do” not how or what we do….but why. It’s not just money. So many times in history this is proven.

matt9112

Ah i always look forward to Posts from people taking about things they claim to not have experienced in a long time, and have no plans on going back to. It’s a lot like talking to my 4yr old nephew about Disney, except he at least has been there in the past year and is going again in December, so he actually has first hand knowledge. But keep posting on a message board about a place your not going to, and things you haven’t and won’t experience. You can call back to the Olden days of E-ticket rides and paper tickets, pre internet sales as if they have any bearing on the real world or present day.

Mr tough guy. Your nephew probably cannot grasp the concept of value yet. More so in the complex convoluted arena of Disney world. People don’t need to go to do something to have an opinion. They don’t need to go every week or year to have an OPINION.

There’s people who haven’t been to disney in years that would be far more qualified than…your nephew on the theme park industry.

I think the value proposition is trash and I haven’t gone in 4 years? Am I just too stupid?

Lilofan

Your wrong…. Go across from disney springs area to the palm parkway. A lot of free parking over there. There’s Also plenty of free parking all over I drive.

I-Drive has paid parking and in the upscale hotels by the convention center. The seedy part of I-Drive by Tangelo Park locals housing projects where the lower budget hotels are located does not. Hotel front desk goals are to put " heads on beds ". If they cannot fill all the rooms with heads then the hotel can make the revenue by continually charging for parking.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Lol all the people that think good business is just making money. No making a lot of money is a result it is the end of the equation. Any visionary any great leader doesn’t sit in a chair “to make money” they are there to answer one question “why do we do what we do” not how or what we do….but why. It’s not just money. So many times in history this is proven.
Please share on a visionary not concerned on making money in charge of his or her company and to benefit for their shareholders.

Last edited:

Br0ckford

I agree this should be what a good leader considers as part of it.
I think it's OK to want to make money for your investors and provide an economical product for your consumers. The problem is that Disney along with a lot of other companies have forgotten that.

Lilofan

Yes. Because you aren't teleporting into the parks. I don't know what emergency services has to do with charging for parking, though. "Nah, I'll opt out of paying my tiny cut for 911 service, I'll never need it..."
Fyi - call 911 at WDW and Reedy Creek shows up . When you are examined by the paramedics , transported to the hospital or not, the person does not get charged. Someone has got to fund the free ambulance services.

Last edited:

Kman

I'm not suggesting they shouldn't monetize parking or add a resort fee. They are a business and need to maximize profits...in theory. Unfortunately we live in a society where businesses like Disney are slaves to the shareholders. I agree with many others here...why does Disney have to follow the crowd?

The current management has shown they really don't care about the legacy of the company so I suppose that's the answer. Perhaps this is just what happens when a company becomes too large and successful. They lose the original focus of the company.

I am not opposed to change and I understand companies need to evolve. It just feels like Disney is like every other public traded company and will let their greed drive decisions rather than a deeper vision where perhaps some profit is sacrificed on the alter of quality and commitment to trying to maintain at least some of Walts original vision.

It makes me sad as I have a lot of happy memories associated with WDW. I'm sure I will go back at some point but it has become far less of a priority for us.

matt9112

At one point he lost his job and they brought him back only to make the company a juggernaut.

People fall down people fail….over and over again because the road to success is full of failure. If you sit here and tell me you have never failed. You have never hit a wall. Your either a liar or not as successful as you think.

John park hopper

Question --Since the late 90's Disney has been acquiring other companies to the tune of billions of dollars --where does this money come from and do these acquisitions recoup the cost in generated profits. Is this a driving force for Disney to milk the parks for every penny they can get?

Indy_UK

Question --Since the late 90's Disney has been acquiring other companies to the tune of billions of dollars --where does this money come from and do these acquisitions recoup the cost in generated profits. Is this a driving force for Disney to milk the parks for every penny they can get?

I’d imagine Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars have well recouped their costs

20th Century maybe not until the next century

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They already have that, it’s called your admission ticket 🤣
Good point!

If you are referring to focused/limited service hotels in the area, you would be correct. But that wasn't was I was referring to in my post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom