John Lennon ended the Beatles at the Polynesian

GothMickey

I just googled the OS as an example; dig deeper and you`ll see they broke up April 15th 1970 - no way was this at WDW. 1974, yes. But not 1970.

Nor `71 - the Poly wasn`t ready until September 1971, and wasn`t finished until December of that year.

Marni, if the paper work was not signed until 1974, as the documents say, then it is possible it was at the Polynesian. Just because they broke up in 1970, doesn't mean that it was official. it becomes official after the legal agreements are signed, which was in 1974... :)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marni, if the paper work was not signed until 1974, as the documents say, then it is possible it was at the Polynesian. Just because they broke up in 1970, doesn't mean that it was official. it becomes official after the legal agreements are signed, which was in 1974... :)
Oh I agree - I guess `74 was when it was legalised, not when John said "I`ve had enough" or similar :wave:

At least Nixons "I`m not a crook" speech can`t be anywhere else but the Contemporary since it was so well documented :D

slappy magoo

Interestingly, the Beatles for the most part got along quite well after the breakup. The helped out each other on their solo albums, and apparently met up when they happened to be in the same cities. Some of them did not get along with John's wife, Yoko Ono, but that's another story.

Off topic, but what the hey, while we're talking about Beatles trivia, and how well they got along post-breakup, and stuff we know, I'm a big fan of the original Saturday Night Live. In the first season, when it was still NBC's Saturday Night (there was a "Saturday Night Live with Howard Cossell" on ABC that same year) producer Lorne Michaels half-jokingly invited the Beatles to reunite on the show and to sweeten the deal, offered them the princely sum...of three...THOUSAND dollars! :eek: "The check's made out to 'The Beatles,' you can split it up anyway you want...if you want to give Ringo less, that's up to you." A few weeks later, he upped the ante to a whopping $3,200.

While it was all done in good fun, Lorne Michales recognized that, in that spirit of the fun, any (all?) of the Beatles might show up to take him up on the offer and have an impromptu reunion. To that end, he'd often have his assistant/cousin Neil Levy in the lobby of 30 Rock so, were they to actually show up, there'd be no problem getting into the building and up to the 8th. floor. They'd stop anything and everythig were that to happen.

A pip dream? not necesarily. In one of his last interviews before his death (maybe THE last), John Lennon spoke about how he was in the Dakota, with a visiting Paul, and they were watching SNL during this time and talked about actually taking a trip to the studio and surprising the show with a couple of numbers. The only reason they didn't was exhaustion. It was late, they were tired, they chuckled about how cool it would be...but they didn't.

In related news, the following season when George Harrison was a musical guest, he & Lorne joked about the $3,200 offer, with Lorne telling George, "I thought it was understood that it was 3,200 for all four of you, it wouldn't be the same rate for just one," and Harrison accusing Lorne of being chintzy, but when Lorne said he'd get an extra couple of bucks for saying "Live From New York, it's Saturday Night," George turned to the camera and spoke the iconic lines.

DECADES later, with Alec Baldwin as the host & Paul McCartney as the musical guest, with NO other mention of this old old joke, there was an opening segment where Alec was walking around backstage, and he walked past Lorne as Paul as Lorne told Paul something along the lines of "I gave George all 3,200 with the understanding he'd divvy it up with the rest of you...I'm not responsible with what he did with it after that" I'm guessing I'm one of 7 people who watched the show that night and got it.

OK, back to Disney stuff.

WhatJaneSays

What an odd and obscure bit of information! I must surely remember this for my next CultureQuest meet ... I'm sure to stump Beatles and Disney fans with this one.

primetime52

Calling May Pang Lennon's assistant/friend is a bit of an understatement, don't you think??? :lookaroun

Hahaha I was gonna say the same thing. She was on Howard Stern last month, and according to the interview they were definitely WAYYY more than just friends. Sorry Yoko.

CommandoDisney

Original Poster
Hahaha I was gonna say the same thing. She was on Howard Stern last month, and according to the interview they were definitely WAYYY more than just friends. Sorry Yoko.

actually in the article i linked to, it says that she was actually hand picked by Yoko to be Johns next gf while Yoko and him were seperated... weird, right? anyway, yes they were clearly more than friends, but i was trying to be subtle about it, haha

Gee, you'd think Disney would name a room after John Lennon, or at least put up a plaque.[/quote]

Granted, a momentous occasion occured there, but not a happy one. If the Beatles had gotten back together at the hotel or met there, or something of the sort, that could be understood, but this is a bad thing, not a good one. That's probably why they haven't done anything.

smk

If they start doing that then they would also have to put up something for Britney Spears, wouldn't they?

:animwink:
I hope you are kidding! There is NO comparission between the Beatles ( the greatest band of all time) and Britney Spears, other than the drugs and messed up life.

I don't think a plaque (marking the spot) would ever fly with true Beatles fans because we look upon their break up as a very sad time. While I enjoyed their individual records and albums I looked forward to the time when they would re-unite, that is up until a very sad night in NYC.

smk

YOKO set it all up so she could keep an eye on John and further manipulate him. The had a very sick relationship and May Pang was the better of the two for him, YOKO is a bad name to a Beatles fan.

O'Malley

This is a very interesting piece of information! I've been a huge Beatles fan my whole life, and have read at least 30 books on their career (and their solo careers). I knew about the signing of the papers in December 1974, I knew about how John didn't show up in New York, I knew that Ringo had already signed the papers in advance, I knew George got irate (on the phone) that John wasn't there, and I knew John was in Florida. But the last tidbit of info that John was at the Polynesian is just unbelievable!

John did love the sea (he grew up in Liverpool), and he frequently went to the Bahamas with Yoko and Sean in the later 70's. His alter ego was that he always wanted to be the captain of a ship.

Strange as it may sound, many rock 'n' roll artists go to Disney with their families. I've read that Robert Plant (of Led Zeppelin fame) went there several times in the 1970's, as well as Mick Jagger, and many other rock legends. Wouldn't it be wild to be standing in line at Space Mountain, and just in front of you (reading a park map) was Paul McCartney and one of his kids? :lookaroun

tomm4004

Big Fab Four fan and never knew this about the Poly. Thanks for the link. It's amazing that even now Paul has to ask Yoko to get permission to put his name before John's. She says no, of course. So the legal aspect never ends.

216bruce

Anyone gave a clue as to where at the Poly this occurred.? I'm at WDW Wilderness Lodge and would be glad to make a pilgrimage.

MarkTwain

As a fellow Beatles fan, I'd like to help, but I don't know (I'm not sure that anyone does). That said, I am amazed that there's an aspect of WDW history that Martin apparently didn't know about. :p

I just googled the OS as an example; dig deeper and you`ll see they broke up April 15th 1970 - no way was this at WDW. 1974, yes. But not 1970.

Nor `71 - the Poly wasn`t ready until September 1971, and wasn`t finished until December of that year.

*just kidding, Martin...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As a fellow Beatles fan, I'd like to help, but I don't know (I'm not sure that anyone does). That said, I am amazed that there's an aspect of WDW history that Martin apparently didn't know about. :p

*just kidding, Martin...
Since it didn't happen at WDW why would he know about it?

How can anyone know about something that never happened?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom