John Lasseter Visits Imagination Pavilion

Pixiedustmaker

Why would the place be called Journey into Imagination if it wasn't about imagining things. Things like Dreamfinder, Figment and Dreamport and how, and this is the just of the whole thing, imagination allowed everything to be within reach, like the Dreamport with just using your brain to see it.

From a neurological standpoint, I would argue that people are often most creative when external stimuli are not impinging upon their senses, (monopolizing brain power). When you are having an imaginative dream, you are pretty much unaware of the outside world.

How, prey tell, does riding an immersive attraction with tons of details allow you to imagine stuff during your excursion? There is a difference between talking about "imagination", in an artistic and slightly abstract matter, and real life creativity.

I have creative moments on Disney rides, mostly during the drab transition scenes, or when staring at greenery on the Jungle Cruise and I tune out the skipper.

FigmentJedi

How dare you! The Imagination Institute is highly regarded institution of learning!

Just kidding.:)

But seriously, the humor angle allows the new ride to get away with a lot of stuff.
Getting away with stuff like what? There really isn't much humor for adults in either Institute Ride, the Institute was only ever funny in HISTA with the stuff like the preshow cards, safety instructions, and Channing fretting over the tiny lawsuits

And honestly, Eric Idle's been pretty mediocre since Monty Python broke up. Just look at NIMH 2. It's like the movie equivalent of what happened to the Imagination pavillion.

FigmentJedi

From a neurological standpoint, I would argue that people are often most creative when external stimuli are not impinging upon their senses, (monopolizing brain power). When you are having an imaginative dream, you are pretty much unaware of the outside world.
Wouldn't that mean the Imagination Institute's methods of trying to tap into your creativity are absolutely useless?

How, prey tell, does riding an immersive attraction with tons of details allow you to imagine stuff during your excursion? There is a difference between talking about "imagination", in an artistic and slightly abstract matter, and real life creativity.
The elaborate sets were visualizing the canvases we can express our creativity on and a range of possibilities for said canvases. The Art Room has the tools of the trade and all that white representing a wide canvas open to possibilities ranging from 2D media to papercraft. Literature has Dreamfinder on the massive typewriter spewing out words and ideas that exist in creative storytelling and books full of various subjects ranging from all sorts of horror to the fairy tale book open to "Once Upon a Time". Theatre is set backstage as Figment's preparing for a show and then goes into the theatre as Dreamfinder is conducting the laser orchestra. Science and the massive observatory is a representation of the various ways we observe and study the world around us and how awe-inspiring some of these observations can be. The finale with the movies is literally staged on film as the giant reels weave around Figment and Dreamfinder filming the action at the very end.

Pixiedustmaker

Getting away with stuff like what? There really isn't much humor for adults in either Institute Ride, the Institute was only ever funny in HISTA with the stuff like the preshow cards, safety instructions, and Channing fretting over the tiny lawsuits

And honestly, Eric Idle's been pretty mediocre since Monty Python broke up. Just look at NIMH 2. It's like the movie equivalent of what happened to the Imagination pavillion.

Character assassination of Eric Idle is one of the 25 signs that any forum thread is about to degenerate into a flame war.

Anyway, Eric Idle is such a creative comedian that inside his mind there are so many Figments that it looks like the freakin' flying monkey scene from the Wizard of Oz.

FigmentJedi

The Institute's methods are FDA tested and mother approved. Of course they work!
Yeah they work all right. On inspiring empty lines while Operations castmembers stand lonely just waiting for guests to stumble in looking for a brief timekiller while waiting for their Soarin Fastpass time to come up.

Character assassination of Eric Idle is one of the 25 signs that any forum thread is about to degenerate into a flame war.

Anyway, Eric Idle is such a creative comedian that inside his mind there are so many Figments that it looks like the freakin' flying monkey scene from the Wizard of Oz.

He also gleefully admits how he'll do anything for a paycheck and the rest of the Pythons saw Spamalot as yet another Idle cashgrab that lost some of the film's bite on the way to Broadway.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well... I'm a 35 year old woman and while I don't yet have a Duffy bear, I have tons of Figment plush toys ranging from 1983 to 2007. And, if it says anything, when I saw that they had a 30th anniversary shirt for Duffy with Figment on it my first thought was "I absolutely have to buy a Duffy bear now!" :D

I do too. My kids have all sorts of Figment toys too packed up in the attic from die cast and wind ups. My DD has a plush backpack. I believed Figment was extremely popular, from what I've been reading that wasn't the case. My DH still wears his Figment TShirt, for some odd reason people know who Figment is when he wears it.
Not sure if he put Duffy mug on his chest most likely wouldn't would get it, more people would look at him like he was nutty.

Can we go yet?

That movie gutted my childhood...

Goofyernmost

I believe it has another name as well..."Willful suspension of disbelief". The stuff that Hollywood is made of. :)

What it boils down to is that one either understands the concept or they don't.

Enchantâmes

Pixiedustmaker can you shut up now? Please? You have written a book already. Let it go, people don't agree with you and they are never going to now get over it.

MarkTwain

Well... I'm a 35 year old woman and while I don't yet have a Duffy bear, I have tons of Figment plush toys ranging from 1983 to 2007. And, if it says anything, when I saw that they had a 30th anniversary shirt for Duffy with Figment on it my first thought was "I absolutely have to buy a Duffy bear now!" :D

At his lecture on Epcot's 30th anniversary, Tony Baxter (the original ride's creator) outright stated that one of the main reasons they restored Figment to the ride was due to the loss of Figment's merchandise revenue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom