Jim Hill talks of potential Harry Potter project

Tim G

Could only imagine how unreliable that attraction would be with that kind of sponsor.
That's the reason there's no Jim Hill Park...

:eek: -=- JH Rumor Park -=- :eek:

Would look great on the inside... but the park on the inside would be completely empty... :lol:

That's what you get for creating too much rumors... :rolleyes:

slappy magoo

My prediction, assuming there is, indeed, a letter of intent?

WDW will spend a whole lot of time and a WHOLE lot of money doing research on what sort of Harry Potter-based attraction there should be. The final decision will be a virtual-reality based Quidditch (sp?) film, where it comes across like YOU are on Harry Potter's team when Voldemort threatens to raise holy hell and YOU and Harry have to save the day (y'know...yippee kay-ay motha-trucka).

The snag? All the marketing research will point to the fact that everyone wants to see the original cast in the virtual reality attraction. And by the time all those contracts can be hammered out, all the "kids" will look like 3rd year grad students. There will be talk of using all CGI-animation to look as much like the original cast as possible. There will be talk of using Lucas-style wizardry to use footage from the original cast, isolated from the original backgrounds (or obtaining the original green-screen footage from the movies from Warner Brothers), and using animation to manipulate their mouths to have them saying or doing different things. At that point, the cast's lawyers will argue that the likeness of their clients are being used without permission, Disney will start "tweaking" the story more to their liking which won't be to Rowling's liking, and the whole deal will blow over after spending enough money on developing it to feed a small town for a year.

darthjohnny

I question some of the info in the Jim Hill report, so this whole ride thing may be just a rumor.

J.K. Rowling was reluctant at first with the movies, but only because she was afraid that her stories might have been ruined. She has since backed off, knowing that they are successes.

But I don't believe she had any real authority in choosing the cast, although they might have valued her opinion.

It was really Chris Columbus who didn't want big names. Besides, there are Academy Award winning actors, like Maggie Smith who plays McGonagal, in the movie.

Kalikala

I would love to see some kind of HP or LOTR attraction, especially at MGM. When they were first building MGM in the 80s, they looked at what was popular in film at the time, and that was obviously Star Wars and Indiana Jones- not Disney films, but hugely popular. In that case, it makes total sense to look at what is popular now, and HP and LOTR are certainly near the top of the list. So why not do now what they did then?

The great thing about these two book/movie series is that they appeal to adults as much, if not more, as they do to kids.

Lee

Adventurer
My prediction, assuming there is, indeed, a letter of intent?

There is, indeed, a letter of intent. That is a simple fact.

What will come of it? Who knows.

Oh, and any attraction that Disney builds will not feature any of the original cast, nor images from, the films. More like the book illustrations.

Herk

I wouldn't be suprised if there is a letter of intent, this is to say both disney wants an attraction of mythical monsters to put in ak and needs something behind it. And we all know Rowling loves money.

So guess what its hagrids mythical farm

Denscott

Would I be a HP nerd if I found several errors in this post?

Sorry, it's been a while since I saw the first 2 movies...I like the darker 3rd and 4th much better.

OH, and to all those that think that HP will simply disappear after the final book/ movie think again. You personally as an adult may not like them but children absolutely adore the series. When we were kids we loved Star Wars right? Guess what, our adoration and $$$ helped Lucasfilm get the financing to create 3 more movies 25 years later.

Todays kids will still like Harry 20 years from now and introduce THEIR kids to the character. Whether you are a fan or not, Harry Potter is not only a huge franchise it is also capable of being a huge moneymaker for decades to come...like Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, LOTR, and comics like X-men.

darthjohnny

Sorry, it's been a while since I saw the first 2 movies...I like the darker 3rd and 4th much better.

OH, and to all those that think that HP will simply disappear after the final book/ movie think again. You personally as an adult may not like them but children absolutely adore the series. When we were kids we loved Star Wars right? Guess what, our adoration and $$$ helped Lucasfilm get the financing to create 3 more movies 25 years later.

Todays kids will still like Harry 20 years from now and introduce THEIR kids to the character. Whether you are a fan or not, Harry Potter is not only a huge franchise it is also capable of being a huge moneymaker for decades to come...like Star Wars, Star Trek, Indiana Jones, LOTR, and comics like X-men.

You are right on that. Don't be surprised if they don't do a Harry Potter 8, or even a spinoff with one of the more popular characters.

Lee

Adventurer
Nope. It's not put to rest.
There may have been no letter signed lately...but something is up. I hear it from far too many people for it to be completely without merit.

bayoutinkbelle

Nope. It's not put to rest.
There may have been no letter signed lately...but something is up. I hear it from far too many people for it to be completely without merit.

Thanks, Lee. I can understand why there would be tons of secrecy and denials until every i is dotted and t crossed. I adore HP (and my driver's license says I'm an adult! :lol: ) and I'd much rather it go to Disney than any other company -- if Rowling agrees to such a thing.

Lee

Adventurer
Disney is not building a Potter attraction.

Well...not yet, anyway.
I say again...something seems to be up.
If you know something concrete...feel free to fill me in. I seem to be collecting contradictory info lately.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thanks, Lee. I can understand why there would be tons of secrecy and denials until every i is dotted and t crossed. I adore HP (and my driver's license says I'm an adult! :lol: ) and I'd much rather it go to Disney than any other company -- if Rowling agrees to such a thing.

Exactly, the powers that be will continue to deny/evade until the time is right.

No amount of internet speculation will change a thing.

This isn't such a far fetched idea, many WDW attractions are based upon characters that were written/invented/designed by others besides Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom