Jim Hill talks of potential Harry Potter project

JimboJones123

Aahhh....hard to say. Nobody's given a real good description that I've heard.
From what I gather, it would be kinda like what they tried to do with Disneyquest: put one in a city as kind of a stand-alone attraction. The park concept would be that kind of thing, I guess. Like if they picked up, I don't know...a Future World pavillion for example and dropped it in Chicago. Imagine a Hogwarts castle in some city with an attraction, shops, exibits...that sort of thing...I think.:lookaroun

Yeah, it's been a good 6 months since there has been anything on these stand alones. Actually, at Myrtle Beach, they have a place called Magic Quest. It looks very cool and is a clear HP ripoff where guests pick a wand and perform magic feats w/big projections and whatnots. There is even dualing. May be something cool to put in touristy places like Vegas, Chicago, NY, maybe a Miami, or near Mall of America. Very interesting, thanks for refreshing the stand alone idea Lee.

Denscott

I dont see Disney doing this, I think it would confilct with existing disney characters and stuff inside the park wouldn't it?

It happens already during Star Wars Weekends when stormtroopers march down the street and a large AT-AT greets visitors to Star Tours.

How about the huge mural of Harrison Ford at the Indy Stunt Show...he's definately not Disney.

Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone ToT? Nope, not Disney.

Aerosmith?? Ever read their biography?? Definately not Disney family material!!:lookaroun

Yet they're all in a Disney theme park. I would bet that Harry would fit alot smoother into a Disney Park than most of the above. Personally, I would love to see it...you could even build a stand-alone park about the size of Blizzard Beach.
You could walk into the park through the train station at Platform 13.5, and once you walk through, POOF! you're in Harry's magical world with a Hogwarts at the far end of the lake and a Diagon Alley to the right and the hill with the Screaming Shack (the most haunted house in Britain) to the left. Imagine the possibilites of theming and design...an imagineers wish come true!
And yes, people would travel around the world to see it

JimboJones123

Yeah, it's been a good 6 months since there has been anything on these stand alones. Actually, at Myrtle Beach, they have a place called Magic Quest. It looks very cool and is a clear HP ripoff where guests pick a wand and perform magic feats w/big projections and whatnots. There is even dualing. May be something cool to put in touristy places like Vegas, Chicago, NY, maybe a Miami, or near Mall of America. Very interesting, thanks for refreshing the stand alone idea Lee.

http://www.magiquest.com/magiquestmyrtlebeach/

JimboJones123

It happens already during Star Wars Weekends when stormtroopers march down the street and a large AT-AT greets visitors to Star Tours.

How about the huge mural of Harrison Ford at the Indy Stunt Show...he's definately not Disney.

Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone ToT? Nope, not Disney.

Aerosmith?? Ever read their biography?? Definately not Disney family material!!:lookaroun

Yet they're all in a Disney theme park. I would bet that Harry would fit alot smoother into a Disney Park than most of the above. Personally, I would love to see it...you could even build a stand-alone park about the size of Blizzard Beach.
You could walk into the park through the train station at Platform 13.5, and once you walk through, POOF! you're in Harry's magical world with a Hogwarts at the far end of the lake and a Diagon Alley to the right and the hill with the Screaming Shack (the most haunted house in Britain) to the left. Imagine the possibilites of theming and design...an imagineers wish come true!
And yes, people would travel around the world to see it
Would I be a HP nerd if I found several errors in this post?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Personally, I would love to see it...you could even build a stand-alone park about the size of Blizzard Beach.

Why would Disney invest in a stand alone park for HP? Lets think about it. Build a park soley on the character HP. Then, five years after the last movie, when the people who foamed at the mouth about HP have quit foaming, and you couldnt give away passes to this park, what are you going to do with it then? If anything, it would be an attraction, a single attraction, or even more likely a portion of a GMR rehab....

campdisney

How would they create something that would be from the books, but not the movies? If they look too much like the movies, will they be sued?
They wouldn't be able to use the Warner Brothers film images, the actual movie footage. That would not be limiting at all to any ride/attraction experience WDI creates.

Take this with a grain of salt. Jim Hill is not always the most accurate website. In fact, he didn't even get the release date for book 7 of the Harry Potter series correct in this article. There is no official release date for the book as yet.

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
I love seeing these rumors surface and a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon. It makes for an interesting comparison. It seems that some of the same people that are upset about movie tie-ins from Disney movies, or, heaven forbid, Pixar movies... are the same ones that are excited about a Harry Potter attraction. I don't get it! At least Pixar *IS* Disney. What does Harry Potter have to do with Disney? :veryconfu

What does Star Wars and Indiana Jones have to do with Disney??

The problem with Pixar tie-ins is that there are just too many of them. Audiances want variety and something differenet. A Harry Potter attraction is just what the Disney parks need to give them a major attendance boost.

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
Why do they need a major attendance boost?

Because the Walt Disney Company is a business and having an attraction based on arguably the biggest fantasy franchise ever is guarenteed to bring in record numbers of people which in turn will translate to larger profits for the company. It is smart business and already has a precendent (when Star Tours opened back in 1987).

wannab@dis

What does Star Wars and Indiana Jones have to do with Disney??

The problem with Pixar tie-ins is that there are just too many of them. Audiances want variety and something differenet. A Harry Potter attraction is just what the Disney parks need to give them a major attendance boost.
Proof of my point.

Excuses for why Pixar is a bad idea, but in the next breath... they say 'bring on Harry Potter'. :rolleyes:

DrWhat

MuggleNet.com has now picked up on this story, citing Jim Hill as the source. Unfortunately, they don't add any details - but they do confirm that there still is no release date for the 7th book, so this was an error in Jim Hill's article.

wannab@dis

Because the Walt Disney Company is a business and having an attraction based on arguably the biggest fantasy franchise ever is guarenteed to bring in record numbers of people which in turn will translate to larger profits for the company. It is smart business and already has a precendent (when Star Tours opened back in 1987).
Keep going! I'll bookmark these posts for when you start going on about movie tie-ins being bad and complaining about Nemo! :p

ScrapIron

I'm all for cool attractions no matter what the source material is....as long as the attraction is good and fits where they end up putting it...:D

And that sums it up.

Let's go to phase 2 of JH's story-Lord of the Rings. Decades back a girlfriend lent me a copy of The Hobbit, a book read by many at my high school, but not by me. Thought it was a pretty good yarn, so she lent me TLOTR books. Don't think I made it halfway through the first one. The movies looked stunning from a visual perspective, so I went to the first one. Same reaction; haven't seen the other 2.

But I would have no problem with a theme park attraction based on this story. In fact, if it were built, I'd look forward to seeing it. That's because I've noticed that what I think about the movie, book, song, etc. has nothing to do with how I feel about the attraction. I've seen hundreds of concerts ranging from Chet Atkins to Frank Zappa, and one of the absolute all time worst was Aerosmith, 1978, Birmingham. Doesn't stop me from liking the RnRC, though. Never had any interest in watching Waterworld, but the show at USH is great.

In many ways, one has nothing to do with the other. Sheesh, look at how many HP fans like the books but not the movies. They're totally different.

A bientot.

hokielutz

...What does Harry Potter have to do with Disney? :veryconfu

It does makes sense for Disney to explore how to take advantage of the Harry Potter franchise. But I think they should utilize their own properties and/or original ideas first. :D

I agree with you for the most part... but let's play devil's advocate here. :fork: :fork: :fork:

What does Harry have to do with Disney? Absolutely nothing for the moment.
But what does Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies have to do with Disney? Nothing until attractions for the two of them were dropped into MGM and became relatively good D-ticket attractions. (very popular and well queued for those of you in Rio Linda; E-tickets are RnRC and ToT)
Would this deal be better suited to Univeral first?? Absolutely, yes.

Maybe as you said before that Disney sees an opportunity to take something away from its competitor. There are still three more movies to come in this series and plenty of buzz is remaining. It could be an answer to the Great Movie Ride rehab. A replacement for Star Tours or Indiana Jones if efforts to renew and rehab these attractions go south. The idea of putting something non-Disney into one of their parks is nothing new, although we as Disney fans would like to see our own in-house work. But maybe the Studios Park needs to draw on an outside idea to get more clout and foot traffic for its park.

Here is an idea for the Harry Potter tie-in... use Mickey from the sorrcerer's apprentice.... Mickey meets Harry Potter to stop the evils of Maleficent, Jafar and the evil Queen.

Its just an idea and I wanted to point out that Disney is not made up of 100% in-house ideas and attractions... maybe just 90 to 95%

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

How is it guarenteed?

wannab@dis

I agree with you for the most part... but let's play devil's advocate here. :fork: :fork: :fork:

What does Harry have to do with Disney? Absolutely nothing for the moment.
But what does Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies have to do with Disney? Nothing until attractions for the two of them were dropped into MGM and became relatively good D-ticket attractions. (very popular and well queued for those of you in Rio Linda; E-tickets are RnRC and ToT)
Would this deal be better suited to Univeral first?? Absolutely, yes.

Maybe as you said before that Disney sees an opportunity to take something away from its competitor. There are still three more movies to come in this series and plenty of buzz is remaining. It could be an answer to the Great Movie Ride rehab. A replacement for Star Tours or Indiana Jones if efforts to renew and rehab these attractions go south. The idea of putting something non-Disney into one of their parks is nothing new, although we as Disney fans would like to see our own in-house work. But maybe the Studios Park needs to draw on an outside idea to get more clout and foot traffic for its park.

Here is an idea for the Harry Potter tie-in... use Mickey from the sorrcerer's apprentice.... Mickey meets Harry Potter to stop the evils of Maleficent, Jafar and the evil Queen.

Its just an idea and I wanted to point out that Disney is not made up of 100% in-house ideas and attractions... maybe just 90 to 95%

I need to go back and edit my post to make it a little clearer. I was also playing devil's advocate, but using it as a reciprocal of the anti-Pixar crowd. :lol:

I personally don't have a problem with HP since it would seem to be a good investment. I'm not a wild and crazed fan, but I can see the potential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom