JIM HILL: "Lots of new shows and experiences are coming to Epcot's Future World"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Don't point to the Monster's Inc Door Coaster as an example of Jim getting something wrong.

Wasn't the problem of Jim's touting of the Door Coaster was that he kept on saying it was coming even when it was shelved? And that he was saying it would overlay RnRC, even though they are two different ride systems?

DeletedAccount55555

This just in Jim Hill exclusive, lots of new stuff will be coming at some point at some parks over the span of 30 years. Great Scoop!
Jim Hill is about as reliable a source as I am.

I'm going to go on a rant here.

Jim Hill is one of the few people reporting information on the Disney parks that actually conducts himself like a journalist. He's not using something that looks like an AIM screen name and I've heard correct himself when his information ended up being wrong or explain why plans got changed.

Yet this board consistently craps on him for no good reason and accuses him of making things up.

It's easy enough for anyone to pretend to have inside information on Disney parks -- it's easy enough to guess what's coming and be right most of the time, there's a large pool of park employees who could falsely claim to be a reliable source, and if you get caught guessing wrong, you have the ready-made, believable excuse that plans have changed.

The fact he's an actual journalist should count for something. Instead I get shouted down on this board when I dare think an experienced reporter using his real name is inherently a more trustworthy source of information.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm going to go on a rant here.

Jim Hill is one of the few people reporting information on the Disney parks that actually conducts himself like a journalist. He's not using something that looks like an AIM screen name and I've heard correct himself when his information ended up being wrong or explain why plans got changed.

Yet this board consistently craps on him for no good reason and accuses him of making things up.

It's easy enough for anyone to pretend to have inside information on Disney parks -- it's easy enough to guess what's coming and be right most of the time, there's a large pool of park employees who could falsely claim to be a reliable source, and if you get caught guessing wrong, you have the ready-made, believable excuse that plans have changed.

The fact he's an actual journalist should count for something. Instead I get shouted down on this board when I dare think an experienced reporter using his real name is inherently a more trustworthy source of information.
I’m legitimately glad you’re that passionate about Mr. Hill and that is your right to have that opinion, I just don’t agree but that’s my right too.:happy:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Jim Hill is one of the few people reporting information on the Disney parks that actually conducts himself like a journalist.

No. He doesn't. He is very far removed from the normal mores of journalism (as are almost all Disney blogs, and even some real newspapers who don't even bother to try contact Disney PR for a story they put out).

He's nothing like Woodward and Bernstein, he's more like a gossip columnist.

DeletedAccount55555

No. He doesn't. He is very far removed from the normal mores of journalism (as are almost all Disney blogs, and even some real newspapers who don't even bother to try contact Disney PR for a story they put out).

He's nothing like Woodward and Bernstein, he's more like a gossip columnist.

He's well within the norms among entertainment journalists, where getting information on deep background is often necessary.

The few Disney blogs that do anything close to original reporting are sloppy, I agree, such as the site-that-shall-not-be-named labeling things as "CONFIRMED" then failing to correct it when it's proven wrong (like when they reported Rafiki's Planet Watch was closing forever last year). The rest are largely aggregating information, doing photo updates, or just gushing about every new bit of merchandise Disney puts out.

As for not contacting Disney PR -- how can you be sure newspapers didn't contact them and simply didn't receive a useful response? Disney PR often insists on giving prepared statements only on background -- which is ludicrous because it's THEIR JOB to speak to the press -- and frequently ignores basic questions and requests for comment.

That's on top of Disney's reputation for punishing legitimate journalists for reporting news that reflects badly on the company, like they did with the L.A. Times, and limiting media access to vloggers and mommy bloggers who are all too happy to uncritically gush about Disney parks as long as they get their comps and freebies.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I agree, such as the site-that-shall-not-be-named labeling things as "CONFIRMED" then failing to correct it when it's proven wrong

Jim's M.O. is similar in that inside scoop that gets shelved never gets reported as shelved.

As for not contacting Disney PR -- how can you be sure newspapers didn't contact them and simply didn't receive a useful response? Disney PR often insists on giving prepared statements only on background -- which is ludicrous because it's THEIR JOB to speak to the press -- and frequently ignores basic questions and requests for comment.

Legit journalists say when they are using an inside source and whether the official spokespeople have commented or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom