Jim Hill: It's lights out for DAK's "Rivers of Light" parade

aklodge

Original Poster
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...ngdomme-makes-a-character-based-comeback.aspx

Jim Hill Media (See link above) said:
For Disney's Animal Kingdom fans ... It's one of those bad news / good news kind of day.

The bad news is ... Plans for DAK's long-in-development nighttime parade -- "Rivers of Lights" -- have been tabled. Not because Animal Kingdom management lost confidence in Steve Davison's original concept. But -- rather -- because the Mouse wasn't willing to make the sorts of physical changes to that theme park that would have been necessary in order to safely operate this after-hours extravaganza.

What sort of changes are we talking about? Ripping out thousands of trees & plants that currently line Animal Kingdom's streets as well as pushing back dozens of walls & fences. So that there'd first be enough room for the thousands of guests who wished to stand & watch "Rivers of Light" (Which was to have been a Disneyfied version of a Japanese Lantern parade). But then -- directly behind those folks -- there'd also be a wide enough pathway to accommodate those WDW visitors who didn't want to watch "ROL." Who were just looking to move through that theme park and get to their next ride, show or attraction while DAK's nighttime parade was still going on.

The belief in-house was that -- were Disney World to make these sorts of changes to Animal Kingdom ... Well, never mind undoing a decade's worth of carefully cultivated horticulture. An effort like this to deliberately thin the foliage & widen DAK's walkways would fundamentally change the look & character of this theme park. Making Animal Kingdom seem far less wild.

And given that it's this very thing that differentiates DAK from the Magic Kingdom, Epcot and/or Disney's Hollywood Studios ... Disney World officials (to their credit) weren't willing to compromise this aspect of Animal Kingdom just to accommodate a new nighttime parade. Which is why "Rivers of Light" was extinguished.

PKD

I am not understanding why he is saying Rivers of Light would require all the path changes when MJJE travels the same paths every day?!?!??!! Is he suggesting that there would be more people at night then during the day?

goodolgm

You could take MK and use that as a reference point -- IMO a lot more people line the route to watch SpectroMagic than for the Disney Dreams Come True parade...Nighttime parades seem to add a whole other dimension which people (like myself) find very attracting. Maybe the same logic was applied here...just my thoughts.

csm

I am not understanding why he is saying Rivers of Light would require all the path changes when MJJE travels the same paths every day?!?!??!! Is he suggesting that there would be more people at night then during the day?

Uhhh, no it doesn't. Rivers of Light would have been *on the river*. The trees would need to be thinned so you could *see the river* from all around the park, making accessable viewing areas for the crowds.

WDWFREAK53

Umm, wasn't the Rivers of Light parade going to be...on the river?

I thought it was going to be "Floats" (pardon the pun) on the water...which is why it would be different from Mickey's Jammin' Jungle. They can easily rope off areas and still allow you to walk...whereas if people were lined up along the water's edge...there isn't enough room behind them to walk.

(I don't get why there isn't room...but I don't see how it could travel the same route as the Jungle Parade).

PKD

Per previous post/comments, my comment was based on the parade NOT being on the water, but following the normal parade route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Yee, Miceage.com
Rivers of Light. An old rumor that hasn't yet materialized, the Rivers of Light is an idea for an after-dark parade at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Should it materialize, this park will finally have a reason to stay open after the animals return home at dusk. Millions of dollars have reportedly already been spent in infrastructure. It is unknown if the parade would use the same parade route already in use (despite its name, it's not a water-based parade).

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=202441&highlight=rivers+light+parade

culturenthrills

I guess the more interesting part of the article is it looks like they really are going forward with Night Kingdom. Unless they got some more impressive ideas than what we have heard so far Night Kingdom looks less than impressive. The more disgusting thing is it looks like they are gonna finish off what is left of Pleasure Island so they can push people into this park. Disney has no one but themselves to blame for the failure of PI. Well, at least I have a few more years to enjoy AC.

i don't like the idea of the water parade. Ak isn't big enough. I like the remoteness and the shade. It is the coolest (in temp) of the parks. Please don't ruin that by taking away the trees.

dreamlives1984

Nope guys, you're sounding confused. It was not supposed to be a parade on the river. It was a nightly street parade and I'm guessing that they would need to widen the walkways because at night, when there are lower light levels around the park for all to enjoy the parade, it would just not be safe enough for people to maneuver throughout.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm in no position to judge the veracity of his claims. However, this article is rich in detail from a rumor perspective and if it should be taken with "a grain of salt" as many claim, I give it credit for sounding plausible. I could see the walkway, horticulture issue being a big deal. It is one of the things that really sets DAK apart.

PKD

i don't like the idea of the water parade. Ak isn't big enough. I like the remoteness and the shade. It is the coolest (in temp) of the parks. Please don't ruin that by taking away the trees.

DAK isn't the coolest of the four parks, it is in fact hotter then the others.

EPCOT Explorer

Rivers of Light...I think it's happening.AK deffinatly needs a PM draw.Also, they wouldn;t stop a parade just because of the streets/fences.If they can opperate Epcot with a Wand going up and LAL being build in the entrace,they can deffinatly do Rivers of Light.

Shame they can't have a Firework show over The Tree.

wdwmomof3

I have never been to AK at night, but I have seen a few pictures and it looks beautiful. I thought it closed at 5:00 or something. Anyway, I would love to see a night time attraction like a parade or something but I would hate for them to remove any of the trees and plants. They are beautiful and it really makes you feel like you are in the wild. Can't they come up with something else. There is plenty of room for a night time show or something.

I am sure that what ever they choose to do, it will be great. :)

MousDad

Nope guys, you're sounding confused. It was not supposed to be a parade on the river. It was a nightly street parade and I'm guessing that they would need to widen the walkways because at night, when there are lower light levels around the park for all to enjoy the parade, it would just not be safe enough for people to maneuver throughout.

From what I've read, this is correct. Many people mistakenly interpreted "Rivers of Light" to mean it would be actually on the water. But I think it is meant more to describe the visual character of the parade.

WDWFigment

Umm, wasn't the Rivers of Light parade going to be...on the river?

I thought it was going to be "Floats" (pardon the pun) on the water...which is why it would be different from Mickey's Jammin' Jungle. They can easily rope off areas and still allow you to walk...whereas if people were lined up along the water's edge...there isn't enough room behind them to walk.

(I don't get why there isn't room...but I don't see how it could travel the same route as the Jungle Parade).

Nope, although this is a common misunderstanding.

Thought Rivers of Lite was a water parade!!!

From what I've read, this is correct. Many people mistakenly interpreted "Rivers of Light" to mean it would be actually on the water. But I think it is meant more to describe the visual character of the parade.

Yep. Think Spectromagic (in that it has lights and is at night). I think the name was chosen because it will be so 'brilliantly lit' as to appear that there is so much light in the dark that it produces a "river" of light (an expression, like the "river of tears" or "river of dreams")

Biff215

While it may or may not be true that this is dead, I can understand why a nighttime parade at DAK would be a problem. MJJP causes enough traffic jams in broad daylight. Just try to get to Africa during the parade traveling upstream, it's practically impossible. Now imagine trying to go either way in the dark. It would pretty much defeat the purpose of trying to keep the park open later when you can't even get to the attractions.

If management stood up and said no to cutting into the greenery then I give them a lot of credit. DAK is the best landscaped park and it's essential to the theming. While I'd love to see it stay open later, I definitely don't think it's worth losing the overall feel of the park. Put the money towards another land or E-Ticket on the Africa/Camp side of the park and it will have the same effect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom