Jim Hill + Harry Potter = One Scary Story

Rosso11

Nope. JKR wouldn't go for it in a zillion years. She is asking for a whole "mini-park" type situation. Diagon Alley...Train Station...Hogwarts....and she has proven to be none too flexible about it. At least with Disney.

This is what I don't get. If this is true like many insiders have said and she is so demanding, why would she agree to a rethemed land. I mean its a land with rides already in place and Universal is not about to bulldoze the entire land. If I was her I would want a clean pallet to work off of. I wouldn't want to work off of someone elses work and be confined to what they have done in the past. This is why Disney makes so much more sence. They have the land and can start from scratch. The lost continent is not that big and with what is there allready theres not that much room to grow. Especially if she want this mini park to grow with the future movies. I really think Disney fits her needs much better.

AndyMagic

This is what I don't get. If this is true like many insiders have said and she is so demanding, why would she agree to a rethemed land. I mean its a land with rides already in place and Universal is not about to bulldoze the entire land. If I was her I would want a clean pallet to work off of. I wouldn't want to work off of someone elses work and be confined to what they have done in the past. This is why Disney makes so much more sence. They have the land and can start from scratch. The lost continent is not that big and with what is there allready theres not that much room to grow. Especially if she want this mini park to grow with the future movies. I really think Disney fits her needs much better.

You might think Disney, "fits her better" because they have more land but the fact of the matter is that Disney was in no way going to construct an entire park from scratch based around Harry Potter. Heck, they didn't even want to give her an entire land. Universal is and has always been more willing to bend to get something great. That is why they got B&M to construct their roller coasters and Disney got stuck with Vekoma. Disney originally contacted B&M for a number of projects but Disney wanted pretty much all the say and thus, lost out. It's the same situation here. My only hope is that they leave Dueling Dragons completely untouched. It can easily fit into the world of Potter without any changes. I cringe at the thought of them re-theming that glorious queue with Potter stuff.

Mr Bill

If it is true (which I'd consider a big if), it wouldn't be the first time Disney has passed something up just to have it wind up at IoA. I don't really picture HP being as popular as it is today in ten years. It's big right now, but I'm not sure how long it will last. To be fair, it has made it, what, eight years now? I just get the feeling that after the seventh movie is released, there won't be much to keep the franchise going.

comics101

The only thing Narnia so far has been a walk-through attraction at MGM, nothing else. So it's not like Narnia has a spinner or a wild mouse...

Good riddence to HP. As much as I like the books, I don't think it's good for Disney. Too many people read the books and take away different things, so creating an attraction around it would disappoint quite a few people. That is unless they go the Star Tours route and borrow from the books the lands, themes, events, etc opposed to the main characters and events.

I must have been confusing lol. It's why I don't post often. There were a few people saying they felt Narnia was better than HP and I was just saying that there's so many similarities I don't understand how Narnia would be better. I hope that makes sense. lol. I want HP in Disney bc I feel HP was a better movie. Sorry if I was confusing this time. :lol:

nibblesandbits

George Lucas has made billions dollars off the Star Wars empire too.

And in reality, Harry Potter does not appeal to all kinds of people.

But Star Wars has transcended generations, with little or no protest from anyone.

That is why I think it is the most popular. :wave: :)
Technically, Star Wars doesn't appeal to all people. I have never seen Star Wars...have no desire to see Star Wars and if I can help it...will probably never see Star Wars.

I still ride the attraction at Disney...but to each his own.

Both are popular...both have their core niches...therefore they are both huge entities that can (and already do) make for great attractions that will last the test of time...if done right.

darthjohnny said:
I never said it appealed to everyone, I just said Star Wars has transcended generations. And I really mean that, Star Wars can appeal to a wider audience.

And by "our time" I mean the present, as in now. Sure Harry Potter is hot, but Star Wars is still up there.

(I didn't see this when I originally quoted)

Yes...Star Wars has trancended many generations...but so has Harry Potter. I know many adults who read those books and see those movies because they are simply good. They are will thought out...same as Star Wars was.

I am sure that in years to come, Harry Potter will still be considered a very popular franchise. (And this is from soneone who originally cast Harry Potter off as being stupid.)

Once again...there is a place for both in the World...or in Orlando...however the case may be.

SilentWindODoom

LOL When I heard the warning that Disney fans weren't gonna like it, I thought that he was going to tell us that Disney was going to build a Harry Potter ride.

:lol:

Harry Potter-themed schtuff at Disney, eh?

Well, the day I see a Harry Potter attraction at Disney is the day scientists find a frozen dragon in the arctic. :)

PKD

Original Poster
No they're not.
They were doing test in December/January for a new movie, which was thrown around as Simpsons. I only know what I see... what may have changed since? Who knows. We have been working on other attractions since then

Dagger

You might think Disney, "fits her better" because they have more land but the fact of the matter is that Disney was in no way going to construct an entire park from scratch based around Harry Potter. Heck, they didn't even want to give her an entire land. Universal is and has always been more willing to bend to get something great. That is why they got B&M to construct their roller coasters and Disney got stuck with Vekoma. Disney originally contacted B&M for a number of projects but Disney wanted pretty much all the say and thus, lost out. It's the same situation here. My only hope is that they leave Dueling Dragons completely untouched. It can easily fit into the world of Potter without any changes. I cringe at the thought of them re-theming that glorious queue with Potter stuff.

I love fire and ice but I welcome Potter rethemed anything :zipit:

Dagger

Yes...Star Wars has trancended many generations...but so has Harry Potter. I know many adults who read those books and see those movies because they are simply good. They are will thought out...same as Star Wars was.

I am sure that in years to come, Harry Potter will still be considered a very popular franchise. (And this is from soneone who originally cast Harry Potter off as being stupid.)

Once again...there is a place for both in the World...or in Orlando...however the case may be.

I agree... what keeps Star Wars going now that the movies are "done"

What kept it going before the prequels were released?

What keeps all the WD classics going?

The same thing that will keep HP going for years to come IMO... they are classics that will capture new fans and keep old ones alike!

bears163

i know i am in the minority here but i would have like to see disney do this ride. I like the movies & i think they could & always do a better job on rides. Like i read in someones post you better ride in the first month or so cause there is not upkeep on rides at universal.

fundesign

And that's precisely why I'm taking this "news" with a grain of salt. I find it very hard to believe that someone as apparently demanding and controlling about the Harry Potter franchise as JKR apparently is would agree to have one, simple attraction(s) built at IOA. Since JKR is very certain about theming and attractions for Harry, it's hard for me to believe that she would be satisfied with a redo of an existing land in what is not even the number one tourist destination in the area.

Smokescreen? Possible. Leaking this misinformation for leverage to get Disney onboard with her wishes? Sounds likely. I don't think too much gets past Disney - particularly since it has apparently already invested staff and imagineering ideas into the development of the franchise.

Universal is sure spending a lot of money for a "smokescreen." Mock ups are taking place in a large sound stage with a prototype ride system in place. Believe me, there is a lot of heartburn in the ranks of Universal corporate due to the leak of this information. I have no idea how it leaked or who did it but they did everything they could to prevent it from happening.

ToTBellHop

And Disney has spent a lot of money on a Harry Potter ride, as well...what's your point? These things always leak out. It's been quite some time since Disney was able to announce a new project and have the average Disney fan completely taken by surprise...

ripcurl92

Personally, I think Universal should get Harry Potter. Don't get me worng, I love disney and defintily think the parks need some upgrades, but when i think of Harry Potter, Disney just isn't the first thing that comes to mind. I just think it would make more sense to put a Harry Potter ride in Universal Studios. :shrug:

Personally, I think Universal should get Harry Potter. Don't get me worng, I love disney and defintily think the parks need some upgrades, but when i think of Harry Potter, Disney just isn't the first thing that comes to mind. I just think it would make more sense to put a Harry Potter ride in Universal Studios. :shrug:
DING DING.

Yup, I so agree with you. What does Harry Potter have to do with Disney, and vice versa? Personally, I think Universal could make a new island for thier four islands there and call it, "Diagon Ally," "Hogwarts," or simply, "The Wizarding World." But, that's just me. I've only been to Universal once, so I wouldn't know much.

RSoxNo1

In looking at the Islands of Adventure set up, it looks like the most likely location is between the Lost continent and Jurassic park.

Does anyone else have speculation as to where this would go if the project were to move forward?

fundesign

And Disney has spent a lot of money on a Harry Potter ride, as well...what's your point? These things always leak out. It's been quite some time since Disney was able to announce a new project and have the average Disney fan completely taken by surprise...

Disney has never gone as far as Universal did for this project regarding secrecy. Also, Disney has not gone nearly as far as Universal in preparation for a Harry Potter themed project, from full ride system and effects mock ups all the way down to consumables estimates. They are extremely confident in this being a done deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom