Jim Hill + Harry Potter = One Scary Story

optjay

They can have Harry Potter !!
But Disney needs todo some E-ticket work in the parks ! I know, E.E., is amazing, but the Magic Kingdom, and the studios are long over due. (Toy story mania does not count)

Shaman

I can't stand the way he writes. Interesting info, though, once you actually find it.

I agree. The info seems a bit odd though. Universal could be caught in a bid war with Disney for Harry Potter...but would Disney be so deeply invovled (as the rumors have indicated) even if they hadn't secured some theme-park-use rights or exclusivity for the characters/books/movies?

Another thing....
Why lawyers would get in the way of such an attraction like the robo arm attraction is beyond me considering they built M:S and a Dino/CTX after Indy. Perhaps there's another reason...cost. How much power do lawyers have in the ride design process?

Wilt Dasney

I agree. The info seems a bit odd though. Universal could be caught in a bid war with Disney for Harry Potter...but would Disney be so deeply invovled (as the rumors have indicated) even if they hadn't secured some theme-park-use rights or exclusivity for the characters/books/movies?

Another thing....
Why lawyers would get in the way of such an attraction like the robo arm attraction is beyond me considering they built M:S and a Dino/CTX after Indy. Perhaps there's another reason...cost. How much power do lawyers have in the ride design process?

Both are good points. It seems like a waste of time to put so much work into something if you don't even have the rights to make it yet.

And the whole idea of guests "dialing it up to an 11"...well, it's not like they can make the ride do anything that isn't within the programming parameters. A guest can't say "OK, fly up to the surface of the sun, then go a kajillion miles an hour, and then, uh...make it EXPLODE. Yeah, that sounds fun."

I have to wonder how much of this is embellishing to help Jim establish drama or tension when he writes about this.

Epcotrob

Another thing....

You have to remember Indy is in California. There is a few different things that Parks have to do to get attractions built. I could be wrong but I do think Disneys lawyers do have a say in the rides that get built. I use to work for Knotts Berry Farm (late 80s and early 90s) and was good friends with the most of the R&D people. They use to tell me the parks lawyers almost always were there at the R&D meetings.

Disneyfanman

I really think Disney missed out on the whole franchise, and it's too bad because it really hits their target audience. (Parents and Kids do it together). I'm not sure I like the description of the attraction, but if Universal does a nice job with it, then good for them. Disney was certainly asleep at the wheel with Harry Potter though. It's the first, new, really popular fantasy series in a long time and it has incredible long term potential. They should have made those movies, and they should have the theme park rights. Since they didn't, and they don't, then it should be built at Universal and Disney can focus on their own franchises. Prolonged custody battles (Roger Rabbit anyone) just distract from other, more important matters. Imagine what the Disney folks could have done with enough money though. It staggers the imagination. Ah well.

Lee

Adventurer
IF Uni really has snuck in and secured the HP rights....I know a few folks in Glendale who are banging their heads on the wall. Lot of time and work on something, only to get it snatched away. Bummer.
On the other hand...JKR was proving to be a bit of a pain in the butt to deal with. Maybe they are glad to see it go.

CTXRover

Jim Hill hasn't been the most accurate source of info, but it was an intriguing read nonetheless.

I don't believe Disney needs to build a ride based on Harry Potter, although the story does lend itself well to Disney's target audience. Disney today has a number of their own in-house franchises to build rides after, including The Chronicles of Narnia, that I think their focus should be on.

As to the use of the roboarm in theme parks, the use of it at USH is poorly executed and imo a waste of an interesting piece of machinery. I saw it in person last summer and I thought it was an awkward use of the technology given how visible the arm is. A much better of this roboarm HAS already been done by Disney which Jim Hill did not mention....that being the Anglerfish in the new Nemo and Friends ride at The Seas pavilion. I hope they can overcome the logistical hurdles and implement this as a ride system soon.

Empress Room

IF Uni really has snuck in and secured the HP rights....I know a few folks in Glendale who are banging their heads on the wall. Lot of time and work on something, only to get it snatched away. Bummer.
On the other hand...JKR was proving to be a bit of a pain in the butt to deal with. Maybe they are glad to see it go.

And that's precisely why I'm taking this "news" with a grain of salt. I find it very hard to believe that someone as apparently demanding and controlling about the Harry Potter franchise as JKR apparently is would agree to have one, simple attraction(s) built at IOA. Since JKR is very certain about theming and attractions for Harry, it's hard for me to believe that she would be satisfied with a redo of an existing land in what is not even the number one tourist destination in the area.

Smokescreen? Possible. Leaking this misinformation for leverage to get Disney onboard with her wishes? Sounds likely. I don't think too much gets past Disney - particularly since it has apparently already invested staff and imagineering ideas into the development of the franchise.

CaptainMichael

Sooo..WDI has been working on concepts to woo JKR?

*wants to break into WDI and snatch HP concept art*

:lookaroun

ToTBellHop

And that's precisely why I'm taking this "news" with a grain of salt. I find it very hard to believe that someone as apparently demanding and controlling about the Harry Potter franchise as JKR apparently is would agree to have one, simple attraction(s) built at IOA. Since JKR is very certain about theming and attractions for Harry, it's hard for me to believe that she would be satisfied with a redo of an existing land in what is not even the number one tourist destination in the area.

Smokescreen? Possible. Leaking this misinformation for leverage to get Disney onboard with her wishes? Sounds likely. I don't think too much gets past Disney - particularly since it has apparently already invested staff and imagineering ideas into the development of the franchise.
That is certainly possible. In the end, though, JKR will have to give in to someone. No one is going to put up the money to pay for what she wants. I would think if she were suddenly willing to let Universal build one HP ride, she would also be willing to let Disney do the same--and reach more people with a potentially better product.

CaptainMichael

That is certainly possible. In the end, though, JKR will have to give in to someone. No one is going to put up the money to pay for what she wants. I would think if she were suddenly willing to let Universal build one HP ride, she would also be willing to let Disney do the same--and reach more people with a potentially better product.

Now that she's done with Deathly Hallows, maybe more progress can be made.

Eyorefan

I know a lot of people on the boards of tired of the Harry Potter talk, but as a big HP fan I would love to see it in the parks. I have to say, this would be the one reason I would ever go back to Universal.

Seriously though, I think the reason why Disney didn't do the movies and doesn't have the ride is because of JKR. She is really protective of her characters. Hence her control of the story of the movies and her tight rains on merchandise. Face it, she doesn't have the Disney spirit which is sale the merchandise the heck out of everything!

Glasgow

For some reason I really dislike when people say "Why for" -- that bugs me and I don't know why.

Thx for the link OP

PKD

Original Poster
Seriously though, I think the reason why Disney didn't do the movies and doesn't have the ride is because of JKR. She is really protective of her characters. Hence her control of the story of the movies and her tight rains on merchandise. Face it, she doesn't have the Disney spirit which is sale the merchandise the heck out of everything!

Can't the same be said about Steve Jobs & Apple Inc?? You want to talk about someone who is controlling and protective of their product, it would be Steve. That is one way he has been able to bring Apple back from the dead. If Disney can work with Steve Jobs then I think Disney would be able to come to terms with someone else... whether it was JKR or someone else.

Not sure how I feel about Potter in the parks as he's not a Disney related character.... but again same can be said with Star Wars and a few others.

SeanC

Ok...I don't think HP should go into either an existing Disney or Universal park...JKR is the richest woman in England. She should form a new company, with other investors of course and build a whole Harry Potter Theme Park. There are enough adventures, locales, and characters to fill a whole a park...

Diagon Alley, platform 9 3/4, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, Sirius Blacks House, Quidditch World Cup, Ministry of Magic, flying cars, brooms, Dark Forest, Chamber of Secrets, and so many more.

Probably wouldn't end up in Orlando, maybe not even stateside. I do hear a town south of Anaheim is looking for a theme park...

Anyway, it would be the ultimately themed park and do more justice to HP than a couple of rides or small land.

Testtrack321

I don't really care who gets the ride, it's Jim saying that the backlot tour Fast and the Furious thing is "good". It's cars on a stick with no point or plot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom