jim hill gets kicked out?

MKCustodial

LMA!Fan said:
I just want to know if any non-Disney tour is now banned, does it mean I can start going to Guest Relations to complain about the Brazilians who tour Disney World like they own the place, trample planter, child, and fellow tourist en route, and generally behave like the park if thier own little extension of their backyard?

And if I do, will that make them go away?

Oh, for the love of Pete... I knew it'd get to this... *sigh* All right, point me the last time you went to WDW and you saw a Brazilian tour group that bad. Probably late 90's. Be happy, oh joy, no more Brazilians at WDW. Our economy won't allow huge, 40-people tour groups at WDW any time soon. The park is all yours, oh mighty Guest.

Sorry, but some times the freaking Brazilian tour group line gets to my nerves. It's like every single Guest behaving badly is part of a Brazilian tour group when, during my time as a Custodial, I saw more Americans during stupid things than Brazilians, simply because of their numbers. But stereotypes will never die, so I'm here doing my part to kill them. If you wanna know my opinion on the topic, do a search on "Brazilian tour groups" and you'll find long explanations that may give you an insight on what actually happens during a Brazilian tour group.

Again, sorry for the drift.

*steps down soap box*

slappy magoo

I'm not a frequent visitor to Jim Hill's site so I will not deify or discredit what he does. What I do read on his site, I take with the same grain of salt I would if any other Huge Fan Of All Things Disney & I started shooting the bull.

I would like to point out my opinions based on some of the things I've read in this thread.

1: There IS a difference between "media" and "news." Media is essentially content for our eyes &/or ears. "News" is supposed to be based on fact. If anyone is going to Jim's site for news, then perhaps you will be disappointed, but only if Jim Hill ever promised his site AS a site for news. If he has, my apologies, but I don't recall the site ever being touted as a news site. Sure, he's published news, but that doesn't make his site a news site. I could tell you what happened in my hometown yesterday on a blog, but it doesn't make me a news site. Jim's site is much more well-known than other sites that focus on one particular passion, and when sites get popular, people expect them to be more reputable than someone whose site of similar content only gets a dozen visitors a week. JMH is, in my opinion, the aintitcoolnews.com website for theme parks. Sometimes I learn something, but mostly, it's for shooting the bull, playing "what if," and "wouldn't it be cool if..." games.

2: Disneyland IS private property, true, and if Jim Hill was saying negative things about Disney on their property, Disney would have a right to be upset. But I think it's foolish for ANY of us to lambast Hill on the "negative" content if we haven't, ourselves, taken the tour. Or read a transcript. Or heard the CD, which might wind up being quite snazzy. :p
If high school rumors have taught me anything, it's that you don't get angry for what someone said unless/until it can proven that they said it. So anyone rejoicing that his negative tour was shut down, unless you've taken the tour, you really are not in a position to judge the content any more than *I'M* in a position to judge that same content. I'm not endorsing the content of the tour, I'm saying I can't comment on what I haven't heard or can't confirm.

3: Selective enforcement on the types of tour groups visiting Disneyland or WDW is up to the Corporation's discretion, I'm sure. But I would think Disney would be more upset over the other tour groups, because they would be providing similar content to their own tours. The Jim Hill tour was probably a combination of his opinion, stories based on fact, and told with none of the "magic" you'd expect from an official Disney tour. Which might also be the reason the women were so upset. They were expecting a story on a Man's Dream Come True. Instead, they got stories on What Might've Been and opinions on What Should Be. That, and no backstage access or free lunch. When you're expecting "Star Wars" and you get "Special Effects and Their Practical Use in Todays Movies-A Filmed Lecture for USC Students," you're not gonna enjoy the film no matter what's being told or described. Basically, Jim was probably providing a tour option filled with nothing you'd get in any other tour, which in my opinion is far less detrimental to the park's bottom line than any other unofficial tour group regurgitating the same facts & stories but without the backstage access & free lunch, and costing less. I don't know what the cost of the Disneyland tour is, but if someone offered me the same info for 50% less and it fit into my schedule, I might take advantage of it. And I'd bet a shiny nickel that if any of us who consider ourselves Disney experts were offered money for our knowledge and opinions, we'd take it. Heck, we get to go to a Disney park AND get paid for it? What's the downside?

4: Timing or controversy aside, I think a companion CD could be a great idea, considering the info was worth listening to in the first place. If Jim really wanted to be a standup guy, I'd suggest that instead of a CD, he do the napster thing. Charge just a few dollars to cover the cost of recording his shpiel, then set it up on his site for people to download into an MP3 player. Once his cost is recouped, (and if the download ever really caught on), he could use further proceeds to give trips to needy or sick children, and it wouldn't look like he's trying to cash in on Disney's legacy, but genuinely trying to pass on the history and lore of the park he professes to love. This would also give him the opportunity to update it as todays news (or rumor) becomes tomorrow's history (or legend).

Now everybody be nice to each other or I'm turning this car around and we're not going anywhere.

MKCustodial

Since this was brought back to life, I might as well point out that there's an article at Jim Hill's stating that the author of the "Mouse Tale" books got his tours canceled by DL security as well. And for no apparent reason since, contrary to Jim, he didn't charge for his tours.

Snapper Bean

I certainly don't have a problem with them shutting down a paid tour of their premises. Frankly, its pretty insane to think that you could conduct business activities on someone else's property and think you should get away with it. With regard to the unpaid tour, I can see both sides. To the extent that it was unnecessarily interfering with other guests enjoyment, then Disney should absolutely shut it down. Absent that, I don't know how you distinguish between a tour and a family moving from one attraction to the other in the normal course of a day.

Snapper Bean

ScrapIron

Actually, on the west coast where this happened it's the Happiest Homecoming on Earth. And, no, I'm not going down "that" path again because I believe CM Matt has done a great job in countering years of the Paul Pressler/Cynthia Harris regime.

And, just for the record, media is the plural of medium. A newspaper, radio, TV, etc. is a medium for sharing information, more than one is media.

I'd wondered what was going to happen with David's tour. If you haven't read his books, the 2 "Mouse Tales" are good reads.

Cheers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom