Jetblue info

sueybee

Hi all, dont know if this has been posted yet, so I thought I would share:

JetBlue Airways Corp. said Monday it is now charging customers for pillows and blankets.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]

The carrier has done away with the recycled blankets and pillows used on its flights, and has started offering an "eco-friendly" travel blanket and pillow that can be purchased for $7 on flights longer than two hours. The pair come in a kit with a $5 coupon to home furnishings retailer Bed Bath & Beyond.
The carrier claims the pillow and blanket feature a fabric technology, developed by CleanBrands LLC, that blocks pesky critters like dust mites, mold spores, pollen and pet dander.
JetBlue already offers free "Snooze Kits" on overnight flights from the West that include an eyeshade and ear plugs.
But the blanket and pillow kit is the latest in a string of a la carte items the company says are providing a revenue boost to help offset the soaring price of jet fuel.
A JetBlue spokeswoman declined to predict how much the sale of these kits will bring in, saying that the company only provides revenue details for specific items in its quarterly earnings conference calls.
The carrier said last month it expects to collect about $40 million from customers buying seats with extra leg room this year. Its $15 fee for a second checked bag is expected to translate into about $20 million in additional revenue. A ticket change fee, which doubled to $100 in the second quarter, is part of a "basket of fee changes" expected to produce about $50 million in extra revenue in 2008.

smk

Hi all, dont know if this has been posted yet, so I thought I would share:

JetBlue Airways Corp. said Monday it is now charging customers for pillows and blankets.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]

The carrier has done away with the recycled blankets and pillows used on its flights, and has started offering an "eco-friendly" travel blanket and pillow that can be purchased for $7 on flights longer than two hours. The pair come in a kit with a $5 coupon to home furnishings retailer Bed Bath & Beyond.
The carrier claims the pillow and blanket feature a fabric technology, developed by CleanBrands LLC, that blocks pesky critters like dust mites, mold spores, pollen and pet dander.
JetBlue already offers free "Snooze Kits" on overnight flights from the West that include an eyeshade and ear plugs.
But the blanket and pillow kit is the latest in a string of a la carte items the company says are providing a revenue boost to help offset the soaring price of jet fuel.
A JetBlue spokeswoman declined to predict how much the sale of these kits will bring in, saying that the company only provides revenue details for specific items in its quarterly earnings conference calls.
The carrier said last month it expects to collect about $40 million from customers buying seats with extra leg room this year. Its $15 fee for a second checked bag is expected to translate into about $20 million in additional revenue. A ticket change fee, which doubled to $100 in the second quarter, is part of a "basket of fee changes" expected to produce about $50 million in extra revenue in 2008.
If JetBlue was available to me (they don't fly out of Indy) I would buy a package of a pillow and blanket. I would NEVER use the ones the airlines give to all the passengers....yuck. I would rather have to buy a packet of a pillow/blanket than have to buy a soft drink or snack. So, if they make up their fuel cost's that way it is fine by me. I wish more airlines would go that way rather than charging for a simple snack and drink.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Good thing you posted this...I will have the cash on hand on my trip in 19 days. We have a late flight so I know i'll be needing it for all of us. Does it take effect immediately?

Upvote 0

daverube

If JetBlue was available to me (they don't fly out of Indy) I would buy a package of a pillow and blanket. I would NEVER use the ones the airlines give to all the passengers....yuck. I would rather have to buy a packet of a pillow/blanket than have to buy a soft drink or snack. So, if they make up their fuel cost's that way it is fine by me. I wish more airlines would go that way rather than charging for a simple snack and drink.

So you would choose the pillow and blanket that was wrapped up in funk over the pillow and blanket exposed to multi-party funk....interesting.... :hurl:

dave

Upvote 0

JerseySkiddie

since i never use the pillow and blanket (i cant sleep on the plane) i didn't really care about this news. i've become loyal to Jet Blue since i've started going to WDW multiple times out of Newark. im just happy they havent started charging for the first bag like most of the other airlines. i love those tvs...

Upvote 0

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
This doesn't really bother me since I usually bring my own pillow. I really like JetBlue and am glad they still aren't charging for the first checked bag.

Upvote 0

jillybeaner21

Even with all these extra fees Jetblue is having, at least the 1st bag is still free and u don't have to pay for drinks and snacks. if it's such a big deal, bring your own pillow and blanket. I still think for the service and the TVs you can't beat Jetblue. I've been a loyal fan since they started flying out of JFK and now an even bigger fan since they started flying out of Stewart in upstate NY.

And i don't know about other airlines, but when my girlfriend and I were returning from our Disney trip back in May, there were some serious thunderstorms and our flight ended up being delayed about an hour and half. While it sucked, there's nothing you can do about the weather. However, the next day when we got home I received an email from Jetblue. They had sent us each $25 vouchers towards our next trip to make up for the delay. With the economy the way it is, I'm glad that they at least are putting customer service first.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm glad they sent you a voucher.

Our flight from JFK to FL was cancelled (supposedly because of weather, but at 5 hours before the flight time) and the next flight they could get us on was 48 hours later. No compensation, no help in getting another flight on another airline, no help in getting a hotel room. They did refund my money, which paid less than half of the cost for one way tickets on another airline the next morning.

I am old enough, and financially stable enough, that I could handle these added expenses, but someone younger or with less financial resources would have been in a terrible situation. I know that 35 years ago it would have been a budget breaker for us.

We have decided that we will not take a planned vacation that involves flying anytime soon, and hopefully, we will not have any family/business need to fly. This was just the worst incident of a trip that contained numerous delays, inconveniences, etc due to airlines.

Upvote 0

JerseySkiddie

the first time it flew Jet Blue the plane we were taking came in from PR and while it was on its way to Newark it was hit by lightening. Apparently this is relatively common but it had to be checked out by the FAA to make sure everything was kosher. Well to help deal with the delays they brought out snacks, water, and coffee at the terminal. There were a number of people who were connecting to a cruise and they helped them arrange what they needed to in order to make it to their boat. They also had everyone else remain seated when we landed so the cruise people could get off first. They also gave everyone on the flights $50 toward their next flight. To boot this was before all of that stranding people on the runway for 8 hours nonesense! This is definitely part of the reason I'm so loyal to them.

Upvote 0

fmingo36

I enjoy Jetblue as well (the individual tvs are great for little ones), but like other airlines there prices just keep going up and up.
Southwest has by far the best prices and least amount of extra charges. For a trip from NJ to MCO in Septemebr the price differnce from JetBlue to Southwest was a little over $100 per ticket.
So for time being, I'm giving up the TV for cheaper flight. With a family of 5 it makes a huge difference!!!

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

No cash on the plane....I guess I can see why. Thanks for the heads up!

2 years ago we flew Jet Blue and the tv's were amazing!! My son watched his cartoons while my hubby and I each got to choose what we wanted. Last year we went with Southwest. It was a lot cheaper per ticket and the airport it flew from was an hour closer to my home...no brainer. Not having the TV's did stink, though. Coloring books saved the day (that and sleeping most of the way)!!

This year, we are flying Jet Blue to MCO and Southwest home from MCO.......it was just cheaper that way. I think both airlines are top notch. Southwest doesn't charge for anything...2nd bag, snacks, pillows...whatever. Jet Blue has the TV's. Both are great in my opinion. Some swear by Jet Blue like my brother who will not fly from FL to NY unless he is on it.

Now, I wanted to change my flight to MCO to an earlier time that was the same price and what I paid and JB charges $100 per ticket for the change. I said no thanks. SW does the same thing for free!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom