Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

SteveAZee

Age ratings don't mean anything anymore. Just look at any Target's clothing section filled with Fortnite T shirts meant for 5 year olds.
True. In theory there should be some parental involvement with games (I was when my kids were young, much to their dismay). I was just thinking that there's a difference between what's presented in a game that (at a minimum) has a ratings system vs. something that's considered 'for all ages', i.e. Disneyland. Not really taking sides as much as pointing out that there's a difference.

TP2000

I really can't wrap my head around the point of this one. Kidnapping? "Violence against women?" It's not Jessica Rabbit herself because as others have said she's still in the ride (unless those are getting removed soon too).

I'm right there with you. This makes no sense. Which may mean this really is just an animatronic being removed for maintenance for a couple of weeks. Hopefully that's what this is, and not an HR mandate.

Not just the illogicality of it but the fact that she was just replaced with barrels. A great example of how creatively soulless. Disney is today.

Exactly. This is not storytelling, it's empty virtue signaling. And it makes no sense if Jessica is still seen later in the ride wrapped in rope with the same side-split dress and sulky glamour girl look. Holding a GIANT cartoon mallet that she's about to bash a weasel with and cause permanent injury or death to. That violence is okay, but kidnapping in the trunk of a talking cartoon car is not okay?

By talking weasels wearing Zoot Suits. Weasels.

Again remember there is an entire committee within the company getting paid probably not insignificant amounts of money to put forth recommendations like this and they actually think they're contributing positively to the world in some way. What a joke.

That's the real story here, pardon the pun. An HR committee is now in charge of storytelling at Disneyland. It's terrifying and sad.

No Name

Auctioning off someone doesn’t work quite so well when Jack Sparrow is a thing and the pirates are viewed as protagonists. You can’t have kids getting pirate makeovers (do they do that still?) outside of a ride with that scene. I’d agree that the replacement scene isn’t phenomenal, and in this case as well, I hope they do something good with the space. That’ll help curb the outrage they’ll face from a small and shrinking population!

Rich T

Auctioning off someone doesn’t work quite so well when Jack Sparrow is a thing and the pirates are viewed as protagonists. You can’t have kids getting pirate makeovers (do they do that still?) outside of a ride with that scene. I’d agree that the replacement scene isn’t phenomenal, and in this case as well, I hope they do something good with the space. That’ll help curb the outrage they’ll face from a small and shrinking population!
Well, that’s the thing. Pirates should not be the “heroes” of PotC in DL. In the film, they start right out by murdering Elizabeth’s unarmed butler and then kidnapping her. Then, later, we’re supposed to see them as “lovable.” What the eff kind of message is THAT for kids?!?

Disney turns a convenient blind eye to their own hypocrisy in the race for money. Soulless. Shallow. Opportunistic.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Well, that’s the thing. Pirates should not be the “heroes” of PotC in DL. In the film, they start right out by murdering Elizabeth’s unarmed butler and then kidnapping her. Then, later, we’re supposed to see them as “lovable.” What the eff kind of message is THAT for kids?!?

Disney turns a convenient blind eye to their own hypocrisy in the race for money. Soulless. Shallow. Opportunistic.
Even in the start of films Jack Sparrow is portrayed as at best an anti-hero in the beginning of his story.

And least in the DL original the cave sequence and voice over gives a pretty clear indication that the Pirates are intended to be a cautionary tale as opposed to a rag tag team of Avengers by the sea.

TP2000

Honestly, I think this ride is long past its prime. If I were ever to be happy about a reskinned ride, this would be it.

But, I'm not a fan of the movie, and the ride was only ever "meh" to me, so take my opinion for what it is. 🤷‍♀️

I agree with you on the entertainment merits of this ride. If it weren't for the spinning effect of the cars and the larger-than-normal dark ride scale, it would be a complete snooze now.

But the core issue here is Disneyland randomly removing major parts of attraction storytelling to keep an HR committee employed with six figure incomes. Replacing major characters and storytelling with barrels adds insult to injury.

I'm really hoping this is just maintenance of that figure. If it's not, it's a loud warning bell going off in Anaheim.

Last edited:

Rich T

Honestly, I think this ride is long past its prime. If I were ever to be happy about a reskinned ride, this would be it.

But, I'm not a fan of the movie, and the ride was only ever "meh" to me, so take my opinion for what it is. 🤷‍♀️
I still think Zootopia would’ve made a perfect reskin.

And, while I think Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of the Greatest Movies Evahhhhh (saw it 10 times in its theaterical run :D), I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Several of my beloved and respected family members find it grating, loud and obnoxious. :D

brb1006

Oh nice! Forgot about that. Glad to see she still exists in a couple different places on the ride… for now. I mean that’s very close to some side b.o.o.b showing.

This site is just as bad as Disneyland. We can’t say b.o.o.b?
At least we have this clip. ;)

This clip better not cause this comment to get removed. It's an important part of the movie and one of my favorite comedic moments of the film.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I agree with you on the entertainment merits of this ride. If it weren't for the spinning effect of the cars and the larger-than-normal dark ride scale, it would be a complete snooze now.
That’s what I love about Disneyland though. Mr. Toad and Roger Rabbit aren’t anything special, they are just fun classic dark rides! That’s all they need to be.

Casey Jr. isn’t anything special at all... but it’s pretty much the definition of a great Disneyland ride in my book.

TP2000

Disneyland has gone through many changes, no?

Especially when Walt was in charge. When Disneyland stops changing, it's dead.

But taking Jessica out of the trunk of the car is not change, it's clumsy and artless removal.

Walt didn't change Adventureland in the 1960's by adding more barrels, he added the Treehouse and the Tiki Room and the Tahitian Terrace. Then he let Marc Davis add laughs and sight gags to the Jungle Cruise. And he let Rolly Crump redecorate the Bazaar.

Walt removed the Chicken Plantation restaurant in the early 1960's, but he replaced it with New Orleans Square and two of the largest and most popular E Tickets in history that remain wildly popular 50+ years later.

Walt changed Fantasyland repeatedly. He added the Skyway in '56, Alice in Wonderland in '58, Matterhorn in '59, Small World in '66. He changed Canal Boats of the World into Storybook Land, and put a pirate ship selling tuna sandwiches in there just for fun.

The rather useless Mickey Mouse Club Headquarters became Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Tomorrowland went through more changes and more upgrades than you can count. Frontierland expanded, herds of animatronic animals were added, and even dinosaurs showed up along the Disneyland Railroad.

A changing Disneyland was always an improving Disneyland, Walt and his Imagineers saw to that continually.

This latest "change" is not improvement nor is it really change, this is only clumsy and artless removal per HR. Any Disneyland fan should worry about its broader implications.

brb1006

I really can't wrap my head around the point of this one. Kidnapping? "Violence against women?" It's not Jessica Rabbit herself because as others have said she's still in the ride (unless those are getting removed soon too)

Not just the illogicality of it but the fact that she was just replaced with barrels. A great example of how creatively soulless. Disney is today.

Again remember there is an entire committee within the company getting paid probably not insignificant amounts of money to put forth recommendations like this and they actually think they're contributing positively to the world in some way. What a joke.
Hell, even Jessica Rabbit is able to defend herself as seen in the original movie!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom