Jessica Rabbit removed from Trunk- Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin

BuzzedPotatoHead89

At the risk of sounding like I endorse kidnapping, I find this change bothersome. Previous attraction amendments have all had underlying logic that I could grasp. This time it is not enough that the ride shows Jessica Rabbit getting the best of her kidnappers, the idea that she was ever in danger is too much. Or perhaps her suggestive positioning in the trunk was threatening to the park's family friendly image. It has become difficult to tell what has become unkocher in Disney's view. Change is often necessary and while it can feel daunting it also can be exciting. Instead of taking such opportunity, we have now seen that they are consistently going with resolutely innocuous alternatives. I can't fathom where they go from here.
This is exactly how I feel. Whereas some changes could actually make sense, like the evolution of the ROA, the removal of the “natives”, or even arguably Splash Mountain’s retheme, some of these are really stretching bounds of belief.

This one to me is akin to Pirates. The redhead change never needed to happen if you assume the Pirates are the villains (hence the song), and the ride serves as a cautionary tale in reverse (which could have been better explained in exposition). Here too the weasels are the villains and Jessica Rabbit gets the better of them in the end.

You’re eliminating key storytelling devices if you pull out any one scene from a ride, movie, etc. and take it out of context of the entire narrative. Using this as a rule of thumb I can only imagine what the future holds for several scenes in the Mansion, Pinocchio, Toad, IASW, and probably Pirates again (say goodbye to the dunking mayor, guns, etc?).

Sharon&Susan

Do kids even know who Roger and Jessica Rabbit are these days? It seems their supernova has long since faded from the Disney firmament, with zero corporate interest in reviving the franchise. I get the sense that this attraction is well on its way to an indefinite "temporary closure."
Do kids know what a Tron is? I'd think if Disney was interested in closing this anytime soon, they would've closed it to turn into MMRR's exit gift shop rather than whatever the new setup will be with the Five & Dime and Gag Factory.

Last edited:

brb1006

I always thought Cartoon Spin belonged in Disney's Hollywood Studios- with every Jessica they could build! 🤣
Plus that park really needs some dark rides of the "C Ticket" caliber.
DHS actually was planning on making a Roger Rabbit section of DHS back in the early 90s. There was even concept art made during that period, but quickly fell through after Speilburg and Disney had a disagreement.

TP2000

Is she even represented anywhere else on the ride? I want to say maybe one other place?

Isn't she still just past this car trunk scene? She was always canoodling with Roger in a taxicab stuck in dip.

d4641a21add2934ab5b82c18f9767edb.jpg

TP2000

I agree. It’s just one.more.thing.

What's scary about this is that it's never announced. It just happens overnight randomly, and you go to Disneyland in the morning and things have been erased and are missing. Never an explanation, never any warning.

Is removing Jessica from the Roger Rabbit ride a huge deal? No. But it's ominous.

What honestly really scares me is stuff like the Tiki Room, things many of us have more emotional attachment to. Will they announce it when they close the Tiki Room to turn it into a dumbed-down and charmless celebration of Aviary Inclusion?

Or do we just show up one random Tuesday this November and find the Tiki Room behind construction walls for three months while they gut the place and turn Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, Presented by Dole into National Geographic's Inclusive Winged Celebration, Presented by Beyond Meat Patties.

With only the exception of the Splash Mountain announcement, obviously made in a panic years before the ride was ready to be re-Imagineered, all of these erasures and removals happen in the dead of night without warning. That tells you something. And it makes me worry for true icons like the Tiki Room, Mr. Lincoln, It's A Small World, etc.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

What I don’t understand is kids are watching movies and playing video games with more and more violent and suggestive themes but we must protect them from something like a sexy girl being tied up and kidnapped by weasels?

Makes no sense. Same with pirates.
100%.

I know it’s WB but this reminds me a bit about how Clockwork Orange and and Pennywise from “It” were featured as cameos in that terrible Space Jam sequel but somehow Pepe Le Pew was deemed too suggestive for a kids movie. Lol!

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Just burn the park to the ground at this point. I’m serious — we all see where this is going. Imagine how little humanity will be left in the park 10 years from now, when every joke is removed, all romance or acknowledgment of human sexuality is scrubbed, every scary moment is watered down, anything loosely resembling art or subversion or anything even a little bit challenging is “corrected” to be antiseptic and sterile. I know there are Disneyland fans out there who enjoy these changes — these fans clearly fell in love with a very different Disneyland than I did.

TP2000

That's photoshopped, it's just Roger solo in the car on ride. In fact, the trunk scene that this thread is about is located just a few feet away.
View attachment 587075

You're kidding! I love that for some reason. 🤣

Without having to go watch the ride on YouTube, wasn't Jessica elsewhere in the ride after the car trunk? I think she had a giant mallet in her hand or something? What am I thinking of?

TP2000

What I don’t understand is kids are watching movies and playing video games with more and more violent and suggestive themes but we must protect them from something like a sexy girl being tied up and kidnapped by weasels?

Makes no sense. Same with pirates.

No kidding. Somehow it's entirely appropriate for young boys to play Disney video games like this...

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Finsertcoin%2Ffiles%2F2017%2F06%2Fcontest-of-champions4.jpg

But a cartoon damsel in distress in the trunk of a car driven by Zoot Suit wearing weasels must be erased. Weasels! In Zoot Suits!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom