Jersey Week is over.....and the Sky didn't fall

mightynine

Probably most did. I did.
Same here. This was the only site that felt willing to call out the good and the bad. It was also one that seemed more active than others, and of course, "insiders" like you, Martin helped as well.

And I'll add that I used to be one to give the benefit of the doubt to Disney - I remember when people here were throwing shade on the Space Mountain refresh, I was like "Give it a chance!" Now, I'm a little less willing to just assume the best.

Heck, even I used to throw out the old "Disney is a business" chestnut! While that's the case, there's something to be said about how you look at and treat your customers.

Since we're sharing anecdotal family stories though, my girlfriend just got back - went with her mom (who is DVC) and her two sisters. While they enjoyed themselves, even they thought some of the magic was gone. They noticed an extreme lack of variety in merchandise (including nothing unique for the Christmas party, which is a big shock to me) and made comment about the lines.

One's considering not renewing her AP (a big swing from a year ago when both sisters were telling me "You have to renew yours!" - I didn't) and there's talk that the next girl's trip might be on a (not Disney) cruise.

At a wedding reception just a few days ago, I had a cousin come up and talk about how pricey Disney has gotten - and this is from a family that could easily afford a trip and stay at a minimum moderate resort (I don't know if they are DVC, but would not surprise me).

Disney's success in theme parks, IMO, lies in part from that word-of-mouth - the idea that the cost is worth it and you had tons of free publicity on that point from happy families. The second you start to erode that - well, you won't see the impacts in the short term, but long term? Yet to be seen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Same here. This was the only site that felt willing to call out the good and the bad. It was also one that seemed more active than others, and of course, "insiders" like you, Martin helped as well.

And I'll add that I used to be one to give the benefit of the doubt to Disney - I remember when people here were throwing shade on the Space Mountain refresh, I was like "Give it a chance!" Now, I'm a little less willing to just assume the best.

Heck, even I used to throw out the old "Disney is a business" chestnut! While that's the case, there's something to be said about how you look at and treat your customers.

Since we're sharing anecdotal family stories though, my girlfriend just got back - went with her mom (who is DVC) and her two sisters. While they enjoyed themselves, even they thought some of the magic was gone. They noticed an extreme lack of variety in merchandise (including nothing unique for the Christmas party, which is a big shock to me) and made comment about the lines.

One's considering not renewing her AP (a big swing from a year ago when both sisters were telling me "You have to renew yours!" - I didn't) and there's talk that the next girl's trip might be on a (not Disney) cruise.

At a wedding reception just a few days ago, I had a cousin come up and talk about how pricey Disney has gotten - and this is from a family that could easily afford a trip and stay at a minimum moderate resort (I don't know if they are DVC, but would not surprise me).

Disney's success in theme parks, IMO, lies in part from that word-of-mouth - the idea that the cost is worth it and you had tons of free publicity on that point from happy families. The second you start to erode that - well, you won't see the impacts in the short term, but long term? Yet to be seen.
This is the site where the owners aren’t 99.9% concerned with selling their own crappy travel agency - or those of sponsors.

They’re just fans.

eliza61nyc

New York has no sales tax on clothes and shoes.
up to a point. NYS and NYC have different rules that may come into play. NYC has no sales tax on items up to 110 bucks. have you seen the price of nike sneakers lately? My kid just asked for apair for christmas and they are 220 bucks. lol nowadays depending on the items 110 bucks is rather routine.
While nys may not tax, the city (and is there anything else worth mentioning lol ;)) will still slap on the city sales tax.
lol I just brought a les miz tee shirt that they taxed

TQQQ

Then you make the decision if it’s worth the cost for your family. Businesses set the cost of their product and the consumer decides if it’s within their means to purchase. If the price is too high the business will at some point be unable to continue on making sales and have to lower the price or stop being in business. Dis hasn’t reached that point and continues to draw guests. I agree with many here that it’s gotten harder to afford a trip and it’s harder to justify paying for some of the things we used to do on a trip. Policies and charges are making many question a trip back. But just because you will refuse to pay doesn’t mean everyone else follows suit…. no matter how right you may be.
What if it cost $2,000 a day to get into the park for your family?

eliza61nyc

People who feel bad about their WDW vacation but "let all of that go and try to get the most enjoyment they can once they are there" won't return. And they'll tell others about all the problems, keeping those people away also. This is the kind of thing that will finally force Disney to change and go back to the way they were with lower prices, fewer people in the parks, more merchandise and entertainment, etc.

The problem with WDW right now is all the people who visit, have a great time and then come home and start planning their next visit. They're just not knowledgeable enough to understand that they aren't having a blast at WDW. People on sites like this can only do so much to spread the word of how WDW doesn't compare to its former self. It's a real problem and I'm not sure there's any way to solve it until those people go for themselves and feel bad about their own experience.
lol so basically you're saying they're too stupid to figure out if they like a place?? 🤣 🤣 🤣
Instead of a sign like this, some one should stand in MK with a sign that says
images.jpg

Hey stupid you're not really having a good time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People who feel bad about their WDW vacation but "let all of that go and try to get the most enjoyment they can once they are there" won't return. And they'll tell others about all the problems, keeping those people away also. This is the kind of thing that will finally force Disney to change and go back to the way they were with lower prices, fewer people in the parks, more merchandise and entertainment, etc.

The problem with WDW right now is all the people who visit, have a great time and then come home and start planning their next visit. They're just not knowledgeable enough to understand that they aren't having a blast at WDW. People on sites like this can only do so much to spread the word of how WDW doesn't compare to its former self. It's a real problem and I'm not sure there's any way to solve it until those people go for themselves and feel bad about their own experience.
Woah…da hell did I eat for breakfast where I agree with you?

Peyote flakes?😎

Smiley/OCD

They’re just not knowledgeable enough to understand that they aren’t having a blast at WDW?
I don’t know quite how to answer that…WDW guests are dumb? Ignorant? Stupid? For us old timers, we have the luxury of knowing what once was compared to what is now. I’ve said several times that IMHO, if you take the costs, pre planning and MDE nose in the phone work out of it, newbies can still have a great time. WE still have a great time while there although it requires much more work to find the good things as we walk around and enjoy the world. It never used to be that way…you left disappointed that you didn’t get to do everything you wanted. It used to almost be sensory overload. It’s changed and not only does it take more work to plan your trip, it now takes more work to enjoy it…and that’s SAD.

Jrb1979

They’re just not knowledgeable enough to understand that they aren’t having a blast at WDW?
I don’t know quite how to answer that…WDW guests are dumb? Ignorant? Stupid? For us old timers, we have the luxury of knowing what once was compared to what is now. I’ve said several times that IMHO, if you take the costs, pre planning and MDE nose in the phone work out of it, newbies can still have a great time. WE still have a great time while there although it requires much more work to find the good things as we walk around and enjoy the world. It never used to be that way…you left disappointed that you didn’t get to do everything you wanted. It used to almost be sensory overload. It’s changed and not only does it take more work to plan your trip, it now takes more work to enjoy it…and that’s SAD.
Agreed. I'm sure once in the parks they still are magical and fun. It's the amount of work involved to get to that point is off putting to my family. Especially when you compare it to other parks and how it easy is to enjoy them.

Chi84

Premium Member
lol so basically you're saying they're too stupid to figure out if they like a place?? 🤣 🤣 🤣
Instead of a sign like this, some one should stand in MK with a sign that says
View attachment 679263

Hey stupid you're not really having a good time.
That's coming - stay tuned. Sorry, I don't have anything to do today so this is what happens. ;)

ETA: I deleted the post - the sarcasm wasn’t appreciated or nice 😊

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Agreed. I'm sure once in the parks they still are magical and fun. It's the amount of work involved to get to that point is off putting to my family. Especially when you compare it to other parks and how it easy is to enjoy them.
Yes, BUT you’re almost comparing apples to oranges…other than UNI, there really IS no other park like WDW…

Chi84

Premium Member
It does take more work; there's no question about it. We always have a great time at WDW but we've been going for so many years that missing something isn't usually an issue. Also, we're older now so we don't do as much each day - more relaxing at the resorts and water parks than in years past.

I would be very hesitant to recommend a WDW vacation to someone who's never been there before. I think they've made it too inflexible and complicated for newbies, but there are a whole lot of people who still seem to be having a great time. Maybe that's because they're concentrating on the current experience instead of comparing it to the past. Sorry about the heavy dose of sarcasm in my post.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Yes, BUT you’re almost comparing apples to oranges…other than UNI, there really IS no other park like WDW…
Theming wise no there is not but Disney is the only one that makes it so hard to visit. I get being the top attended parks has to do with it but Universal is up there in attendance and don't make it so hard visit. I have thought this for awhile, Disney execs don't understand theme parks at all. Though I'm not surprised considering some insiders have said they think the parks are for carnies.

The Colonel

up to a point. NYS and NYC have different rules that may come into play. NYC has no sales tax on items up to 110 bucks. have you seen the price of nike sneakers lately? My kid just asked for apair for christmas and they are 220 bucks. lol nowadays depending on the items 110 bucks is rather routine.
While nys may not tax, the city (and is there anything else worth mentioning lol ;)) will still slap on the city sales tax.
lol I just brought a les miz tee shirt that they taxed
I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to call me out :)

eliza61nyc

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to call me out :)
Lol, we took my son to see Les Miserables for his birthday a few weeks back and we love tee shirts. Naturally the 30 dollar t-shirt was 32 and change
The other thing I don't get in NYC is the 99 cent pricing. Why is stuff 3.99, just round up darn it. 😃

Smiley/OCD

It does take more work; there's no question about it. We always have a great time at WDW but we've been going for so many years that missing something isn't usually an issue. Also, we're older now so we don't do as much each day - more relaxing at the resorts and water parks than in years past.

I would be very hesitant to recommend a WDW vacation to someone who's never been there before. I think they've made it too inflexible and complicated for newbies, but there are a whole lot of people who still seem to be having a great time. Maybe that's because they're concentrating on the current experience instead of comparing it to the past. Sorry about the heavy dose of sarcasm in my post.
Yes!! I LOVE to sit on a bench and just people watch, but now they’ve taken most of those out of MK…so now my wife finds a place & I just sit on my ECV.. or take a ride over to TSI and relax there. I’m sure the only reason they removed the benches is because Chappie hasn’t found a way to monetize them…maybe next quarter…

Smiley/OCD

Theming wise no there is not but Disney is the only one that makes it so hard to visit. I get being the top attended parks has to do with it but Universal is up there in attendance and don't make it so hard visit. I have thought this for awhile, Disney execs don't understand theme parks at all. Though I'm not surprised considering some insiders have said they think the parks are for carnies.
The ONLY thing they’re EXCELLENT at is raiding the profits to pay for other parts of the company…they’d be great working for FTX

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom