Jaws.. what's happening?

JT3000

Source on that first bit? There's no indication that this show is a one year effort... way too much put into this for that. This is the replacement for Universal 360 for the time being as far as I can tell.

Read any of the material on the show. It all clearly states that it's a centennial show. It runs during the summer and then on select dates through the end of 2012.

I know it's probably a while off yet but what's the penciled in opening date?

They're still refusing to announce anything (even what the Jaws replacement *is*) but my guess would be 2015. 2014 might be a possibility, but they're being awfully secretive if that's the goal.

Horizonsfan

Read any of the material on the show. It all clearly states that it's a centennial show. It runs during the summer and then on select dates through the end of 2012.

You mean like IllumiNations 2000: Reflections of Earth? Or that infamous millenium wand?:drevil:

They're still refusing to announce anything (even what the Jaws replacement *is*) but my guess would be 2015. 2014 might be a possibility, but they're being awfully secretive if that's the goal.

I'd say that 2015 is a safe bet. Late 2014 is probably what they're hoping for in private. If Uni sees an opportunity to steal/trump Disney's thunder (Mine Train) they're going try to.

Millionaire2K

You mean like IllumiNations 2000: Reflections of Earth? Or that infamous millenium wand?:drevil:

I'd say that 2015 is a safe bet. Late 2014 is probably what they're hoping for in private. If Uni sees an opportunity to steal/trump Disney's thunder (Mine Train) they're going try to.

Universal "to me" "seems" to get stuff built quick. So ill say June 2014 is the safe estimate.

BigThunderMatt

I doubt it.

Agreed. WWoHP's announcement was in '07 and it didn't open until June '10. Grant it, they probably could have gotten it done much faster if they hadn't attempted to keep Dueling Dragons open throughout pretty much the entirety of construction...if they are building something similar at USF, the fact that the site itself does not currently impede travel throughout the park might mean a faster construction period.

Let's not forget that everyone pretty much knows an expansion of SOME kind is coming. This has probably been in the works for some time, whereas the WWoHP announcement was made while still in the development phase. If they didn't have some sort of concrete plan of what to do with the land already, they wouldn't be demoing as quickly as they are.

Captain Chaos

If I am not mistaken, construction on Wizarding world began early 2008 with the land opening 2010... Took Universal 2 years with construction, 3 since the announcement...

Matpez

If I am not mistaken, construction on Wizarding world began early 2008 with the land opening 2010... Took Universal 2 years with construction, 3 since the announcement...

Although it was announced in 2007, real work didn't begin till 2008. They also built phase one on the "let's hope this works" budget. Phase two is on the "we know it will work" budget.

Captain Chaos

Although it was announced in 2007, real work didn't begin till 2008. They also built phase one on the "let's hope this works" budget. Phase two is on the "we know it will work" budget.

Then we can think 2014 isn't unrealistic... The area they are building on is already demolished... I don't think vertical construction is out of the question during the summer or very early fall... other than some sort of construction delay, October 2014 isn't out of the realm of possibility...

Millionaire2K

I doubt it.

Just remember that Millionaire2K says June 2014. lol

Oh and remember they are going to keep the new section under wraps MUCH longer then the first HP because they don’t want to stop people from visiting the current HP land.

If many people knew of an entire new HP coming in 14 they may delay their trip.

So until it’s clear from what you see at the park as to what they are building, I would not expect any details from Universal.

Dumb business move to tell people 2 years early.

Millionaire2K

Conversely, it's also a dumb business move to demo a classic attraction and not tell anyone what's replacing it. Therein lies the problem.

Its not a dumb "business" move if the ride is expensive to run and maintain and they have a great new idea to make more money.

Your thinking with your heart. They need to think with their wallet.

Wallet says milk IOA's HP till the herd dies then announce new HP.

No one is gonna say "I'm not going to Universal till they tell me whats replaceing Jaws."

JT3000

I've already seen people turned off from Universal simply because they closed Jaws. The fact that they didn't announce a replacement probably didn't help. Are they thinking with their heart? Maybe. Does it make a difference? Not if they aren't giving Universal their money.

Millionaire2K

I've already seen people turned off from Universal simply because they closed Jaws.

And I’ve seen people turned off because Disney closed Kitchen Kabaret and body wars. So what. You can't make everyone happy.

Business is business. Universal only has so much land. They can’t continue to add things without removing some of the old. If you pick another attraction to remove instead of Jaws that would just make other people upset.

Heck people get upset when Disney removes a "bathroom".
:brick:

Jaws is gone... Get over it.... sorry!

JT3000

And I’ve seen people turned off because Disney closed Kitchen Kabaret and body wars. So what. You can't make everyone happy.

...did you really just compare Jaws to Kitchen Kabaret?

Universal only has so much land. They can’t continue to add things without removing some of the old.

Completely false. Look at an aerial of the resort sometime. There's more than enough expansion room.

Jaws is gone... Get over it.... sorry!

I don't have to "get over" anything. I've already accepted the fact that Amity is gone, although its closure was completely unnecessary. And you don't have to care either way. That's your prerogative. But if you think it'll have no effect on business, you're mistaken.

Millionaire2K

...did you really just compare Jaws to Kitchen Kabaret?

Completely false. Look at an aerial of the resort sometime. There's more than enough expansion room.

I don't have to "get over" anything. I've already accepted the fact that Amity is gone, although its closure was completely unnecessary. And you don't have to care either way. That's your prerogative. But if you think it'll have no effect on business, you're mistaken.

No I did not compare Kitchen Kabaret to Jaws. But if someone wanted to they could. For anyone but Universal or Disney to say what ride is ok to remove vs another… well it’s just pointless. I’m sure they didn’t wake up one day and say “hmm how can we screw up the park”. If Universal removed any other ride there would be people screaming about that as well.

If you look at the land use plan you will see there is very limited land left.

And ok sorry for saying "get over it".

But its closure was not "completely unnecessary". It was needed to add the new HP section so the studios can make more money. Saving cash by not having to run a dated ride, not having to pay Steven anymore for this ride, and making cash for all the extra tickets the new ride will create... All are good reasons why this was "completely necessary"

And finally... every decision made has an effect on business, some better than others. I’m sure Universal looked at all options with regards to where to put the new HP section and they went with the ride based on one of (if not the) oldest franchise in the park that they felt made the most sense.

I truly understand anyone being upset Jaws is gone. TRULY!! But as I said before it’s the decision they went with to make them the most $$$. For any of us to think different is just wrong. EVERY decision they make should be about how to make more money. Its why they are in business. Any down slump from Jaws closed will be picked up 10x when the new land opens.

MUCH more people would be turned away if Universal tells us WAY in advance what’s going in Jaw’s spot. Id expect an announcement closer to Oct when Disney starts promoting the new fantasyland more to the masses. A family that loves HP that is planning a Sep 2012 trip may wait till 2014 if they knew it would all be done then. But this same family might come in 2013 if they did not know of the new section. Then later when they find out about the new land they would want to come back yet again. I delayed my normal Disneyland trip to make sure I’m there when it’s all finished.

Of course you have to announce at some point. You are always gonna have people delaying trips. But you want to prevent it for 3 years.

All regional parks play this game. Very few parks will tell anyone what they are building for next year until the current season is over. If everyone knows Six Flags is building a HUGE new ride in 2013 they may forgo their 2012 trip.

AswaySuller

No I did not compare Kitchen Kabaret to Jaws. But if someone wanted to they could. For anyone but Universal or Disney to say what ride is ok to remove vs another… well it’s just pointless. I’m sure they didn’t wake up one day and say “hmm how can we screw up the park”. If Universal removed any other ride there would be people screaming about that as well.

If you look at the land use plan you will see there is very limited land left.

And ok sorry for saying "get over it".

But its closure was not "completely unnecessary". It was needed to add the new HP section so the studios can make more money. Saving cash by not having to run a dated ride, not having to pay Steven anymore for this ride, and making cash for all the extra tickets the new ride will create... All are good reasons why this was "completely necessary"

And finally... every decision made has an effect on business, some better than others. I’m sure Universal looked at all options with regards to where to put the new HP section and they went with the ride based on one of (if not the) oldest franchise in the park that they felt made the most sense.

I truly understand anyone being upset Jaws is gone. TRULY!! But as I said before it’s the decision they went with to make them the most $$$. For any of us to think different is just wrong. EVERY decision they make should be about how to make more money. Its why they are in business. Any down slump from Jaws closed will be picked up 10x when the new land opens.

MUCH more people would be turned away if Universal tells us WAY in advance what’s going in Jaw’s spot. Id expect an announcement closer to Oct when Disney starts promoting the new fantasyland more to the masses. A family that loves HP that is planning a Sep 2012 trip may wait till 2014 if they knew it would all be done then. But this same family might come in 2013 if they did not know of the new section. Then later when they find out about the new land they would want to come back yet again. I delayed my normal Disneyland trip to make sure I’m there when it’s all finished.

Of course you have to announce at some point. You are always gonna have people delaying trips. But you want to prevent it for 3 years.

All regional parks play this game. Very few parks will tell anyone what they are building for next year until the current season is over. If everyone knows Six Flags is building a HUGE new ride in 2013 they may forgo their 2012 trip.

Yes all attractions have fans, every ride is someone's favourite... but you have to admit less people would be upset if Twister, Disaster or pretty much anything but Jaws or E.T had been mowed down. There must have been an alternative.... Use vacant plots, use the old hard rock site... Get rid of some of the sound stages that only the food network use before getting rid of jaws....

It's not fair for people to compare it to Body Wars, or Kitchen Kabaret I'd say it's fairer to compare it to Haunted Mansion, POTC or one of the mountains! Imagine how people would feel if the haunted mansion was flattened to make way for what is most likely to be wave 2 of Avatar......

Picture it for a second....

That's how we feel about jaws/potter.

Millionaire2K

Yes all attractions have fans, every ride is someone's favourite... but you have to admit less people would be upset if Twister, Disaster or pretty much anything but Jaws or E.T had been mowed down. There must have been an alternative.... Use vacant plots, use the old hard rock site... Get rid of some of the sound stages that only the food network use before getting rid of jaws....

It's not fair for people to compare it to Body Wars, or Kitchen Kabaret I'd say it's fairer to compare it to Haunted Mansion, POTC or one of the mountains! Imagine how people would feel if the haunted mansion was flattened to make way for what is most likely to be wave 2 of Avatar......

Picture it for a second....

That's how we feel about jaws/potter.

I said 50 times I understand. But its what they felt was needed. I think it should be accepted. If they felt it was the best move, who are we to say they should have gotten rid of a few sound stages or Twister. WE CAN NOT. Unless you know all the details that made them remove Jaws then we cant say they should have removed something else. Maybe this was the best option for them. Simple as that. I'm sure they didnt want to smash Jaws just for the fun of it. It made the most sence to them. THIS IS ALL IM SAYING.

AGAIN I UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL!!

I WILL MISS THAT CRAZY SHARK!! BUT I WILL MISS MORE AND MORE RIDES IN THE FUTURE.

GLaDOS

There must have been an alternative.... Use vacant plots, use the old hard rock site... Get rid of some of the sound stages that only the food network use before getting rid of jaws....

There are no viable plots for a project this size aside form Jaws.

Imagine how people would feel if the haunted mansion was flattened to make way for what is most likely to be wave 2 of Avatar......

The two aren't even comparable. Jaws was around for about 18 years, compared to HM's 40 something. On top of that, the ride was problematic even when it was fixed to the point where there were trips it never opened for me.

Jaws was a good ride, but comparing it to one of the best achievements in themed design is going heavily overboard.

AswaySuller

I don't mean to compare it theming wise, but it's a closer match than body wars or kitchen Kabaret!

My point was/is jaws should have been a flagship ride something that you associate with the studios.

I accept that there was probably little to no alternative but that doesn't make it sting any less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom