January 8 2003 Site Update: Alien Encounter/Stitch

meeko_33785

I just don't see them messing with the Tiki Room right now. First, Tiki Room just got a rehab less that five years ago and Disney probably wouldn't want to spend any more money to fix up an attraction that new. Adventureland just got Aladdin and doesn't really need anything new right now. Tomorrowland needs much more help since Timekeeper and CoP are not running. Also, the characters from Aladdin and Lion King are more popular than Stitch which makes it probably more marketable. Sticth is much more marketable than the current AE, so that would be an improvment.

SpectroMan

Originally posted by Imagineer Jer
Hey!
I couldn't agree with you anymore! The attraction is good but it not Disney Material, thats all. I would think it would be in Universal or something but anywhere but Disney. I am glad they are fixing it with Lilo and stitch. If you haven't seen it, then SEE IT! It is such a good film.

Not Disney Material! The characters all have different personalities; the audience can relate and identify with these characters; some (not alot) of humor; from the beginning, the audience is transported into this imaginitive world that feels like it truely exists. If this is not "Disney Material," I do not know what is. I have always had the impression that "Disney Material" was about a great storyline and making the imaginative real.

I think putting Stitch in this attraction will do fine, but we must also look at it as ruining a classic attraction. Now, I must shock you with saying that it is a classic attraction, but when The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, and It's a Small World opened, there was no such thing as a classic attraction. They have become classic because they have entertained for so long, and Alien Encounter as not had enough time to become a classic. Putting Stitch in Alien Encounter is like deciding that five to ten years after Pirates of the Carribean was built that they needed to market pure Disney characters and the attraction wasn't Disney enough. They decide to redo the attraction with Captian Hook and Mr. Smee.

I might be a little extreme, but the current situation is not that different!

BigNorm

Originally posted by dxwwf3
I am definately seeing your points Grizz. When I think if Lilo and Stitch I think of two things immediately. Hawaii and Elvis Presley music. Not science fiction aliens. Of course as one can tell by my last post I am a big AE fan but I also think of L&S as a Hawaiian movie.

Lilo and Stitch not a science fiction movie? Where did Stitch come from immaculate conception? No he's a genetic experiment created by an alien. A Stitch, notice I said nothing about Lilo, could be a great addition to Tomorrowland as long as they keep the attraction's story line set in space. Let's not have any of this Jumba coming to Tomorrowland to preview his new creation Experiment 626, let's have a straight up 626 causing complete chaos somehow. That would also be important too, even though the kids know him as Stitch it would be important to call him Experiment 626 in this attraction. It could be sorta of a prequel to L&S.

dxwwf3

Originally posted by BigNorm
Lilo and Stitch not a science fiction movie? Where did Stitch come from immaculate conception? No he's a genetic experiment created by an alien. A Stitch, notice I said nothing about Lilo, could be a great addition to Tomorrowland as long as they keep the attraction's story line set in space. Let's not have any of this Jumba coming to Tomorrowland to preview his new creation Experiment 626, let's have a straight up 626 causing complete chaos somehow. That would also be important too, even though the kids know him as Stitch it would be important to call him Experiment 626 in this attraction. It could be sorta of a prequel to L&S.

I see where you are coming from but I did say when "I" think of Lilo and Stitch. Key word (or letter in this case) being I. The only thing I ment was I personally see the movie as a tropical type movie. Which I guess sorta means that the Sci-Fi stuff was less memorable to me than the time spent on earth (of course the amount of time spent on earth is most of the movie).

Another thing I wanted to bring up was that maybe if there was a Stitch update to AE :cry: there could end up being sort of the same problem I see with Dinosaur at AK. First being a major thrill ride (attraction in AE's case) and being turned into an attraction that is now more attractive to younger children without really changing the "scary" portions. I personally see many more crying youngsters coming out of "Dinosaur" than I did on "Countdown to Extenction" (and yes I realize the new height requirement has alot to do with that). I hope I made sense on that (or you could at least see what I was saying :lol: )

Mag1575

I'm sorry to see that Alien Encounter is going. I always enjoyed it, probably becasue it was funny instead of scary. Once again, another ride that could have been a "classic"(at least in my humble opinion), is leaving.

Mark

P.S. My signature is proof that I enjoy the ride

foxfire

Originally posted by Mag1575
I'm sorry to see that Alien Encounter is going. I always enjoyed it, probably becasue it was funny instead of scary. Once again, another ride that could have been a "classic"(at least in my humble opinion), is leaving.

Mark

P.S. My signature is proof that I enjoy the ride

Yeah, Disney has a way of ruining some classics by "updating" them. Heck, I'm still sore about Horizons (I know, it's been forever since it went), but I guess I'm just sentimental.

Granted, Disney needs to keep things fresh. Sometimes the succeed, but with rides like Horizons gone, and CoP on the way out (most likely) I wonder just what they'll replace others with...

imagineer boy

I must be heard!!!!!!!!!! The Magic Kingdom is not just for kids. It's for the family. When Walt took his daughters to amusment parks, his daughters went on rides for little kids only. They didn't go on any other ride, because they were big thrill seeker rides only. He baisicly made rides for the little ones, family rides, and thrill rides for the older type. Little kids don't hafta go on Alien Encounter. If all the rides were reduced to little kid rides and family rides, the older kids would be bored to death. COME ON!!!!
Every Disney park needs some thrills.

Ronald-Ruck

Account Suspended
i'm with you imagineer boy

the most creative stuff in the disney repertoire has a thrill factor and adult slant.

Space Mountain
TOT
RnR
Alien Encounter
Star Tours
etc, etc, etc.

Leave this ride alone.

-R

PS: Death to Stitch!

meeko_33785

Hmm... well if you say everything Walt said should still be done at the parks matbe it's a good thing they're closing AE. I mean, didn't he want attractions that the whole family to do together? I don't know about you, but if I had young kids, I wouldn't take them on AE. I say kudos to Disney for giving guests another attraction that would be suitable for everyone. Not that I would want them to take down Space Mountain or anything, but it's really not what MK is all about. This is where the young and old and share adventures together.

MonoManBlue

I have two theorys on the matter.

One, they will most likely keep alien encounter the same, the only difference being that stitch would, in sense, protect us by scaring the alien back into the cage with like a duel or something.

Second, there was another rumor that the alien encounter was not beign changed at all, just being moved to a future park and that would make way for stitch.

These are just rumors

MonoManBlue

also, is it just me or is tomorrowland losing it futuristic appeal and gearing more towards cartoons IE BUZZ.

I personally don't think Mr. Disney would want this

imagineer boy

Originally posted by meeko_33785
Hmm... well if you say everything Walt said should still be done at the parks matbe it's a good thing they're closing AE. I mean, didn't he want attractions that the whole family to do together? I don't know about you, but if I had young kids, I wouldn't take them on AE. I say kudos to Disney for giving guests another attraction that would be suitable for everyone. Not that I would want them to take down Space Mountain or anything, but it's really not what MK is all about. This is where the young and old and share adventures together.

He didn't mean that. He meant rides for certain age groups includeing the family. Imagine if you were a person who went to Disney World every year of your life. Pretend that in this reality, all of the rides in Disney World are children's rides with no scare factor at all. If all of the rides are children's rides, your parents would say, "Oh heck! We can take our child on every single ride because thay are all children's rides."
On your frist visit, you go on lots of rides ( but not all of them ). Year after year, you keep on going to Disney World. You go on some new rides and old favorites. As you get older, you have baisicly gone on about all of the rides in Disney World. When you gradually become a teen, you get a little tired of some of the same rides you've gone on and want more thrilling rides, but there are none because all of the rides are children's rides. You might as well go to Universal Stuudios and go on that new thrilling Spider Man ride that everyone's been talking about.
Things change. People change. That is Walt's original vision of Disneyland. This is the way he wanted it to be.
You see, as you get older, you can expirience new thrill rides and adventures with your family that you probably were'nt able to do when you were younger either because you weren't tall enough or it was too scary. Now days, as a teen, you can handle things better because you know it's just a ride. You just can't expect people to walk into Disney World or the Magic Kingdom expecting children's rides.

meeko_33785

OK, here's the problem with your logoc. If AE had Stitch added to it, that wouldn't make it a "children's ride". Just because it has Disney movie characters in it does not mean it is only ment for children. Look at Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Splash Mountain or It's Tough to Be A Bug. Even DINODAUR and Star Tours are all based on movies but are not considered "Children's rides". Giving the content or the film and especially its PG rating, I suspect that the Stitch redo will be more along the lines of the before-mentioned attractions, not a kiddie-type attraction like Tiki Room or something.

Also, I guess my sarcasm went right over your head. I wasn't implying that everything Walt said should still be done today. Far from it. I do agree that some attractions should be geared toward different age groups; I was just trying to make a point.

imagineer boy

But Stitch would turn a scary, fun, and classic ride into a cute and cuddly thing. Alien Encounter has the best and most cleaver story line and special effects. I do think it should be updated, but not let Stitch steal the show. Besides, I went to a website that said AE was getting a few changes in the show ( New special effects, more thills, etc. ) and not have stitch in it, and that a new Lilo and Stitch ride will appear at the Disney/MGM Studios. I forget what the website was called and I don't know how to get back to it again.

meeko_33785

But Stitch would turn a scary, fun, and classic ride into a cute and cuddly thing.
Have you seen Lilo and Stitch. He's a little monster at the begining! He isn't "nice" until he gets to Hawaii. Chances are the show will concentrate on Experiment 626 Stitch than the Stitch we see with Lilo and Hawaii. I predict that if this goes through, "Cute and Cuddly" are two words I would not use to describe it.

Alien Encounter has the best and most cleaver story line and special effects.
Everyone's entitled to their own oppinion... but that's not mine. Mine's more the opposite. I'll leave it as that.

Thanks, MEEKO, we totally agree.
Thank you. Glad to see I'm not the only person here who thinks that. :D

darthdarrel

Sorry,I love Lilo and stitch,but I think the idea to incorporate stitch into Alien encounters is a very bad idea. I go on alien encounters because it`s scarey,Stitch would ruin the whole atmosphere.

imagineer boy

I've seen Lilo and Stitch and like it too, but Stitch would take the would take the whole scare factor out of the ride. It would be so lame. Just imagine:

"Mommy, I'm scared. Why do I feel a draft behind me?"

"Oh honey, it's okay, it's just Stitch."

"Neato! Hey Stitch! Come out! Let me hug you!'

Too many people love Stitch. Even though he is a monster at the beginning, he turns out lovable and people love him. The ride would be so lame.

meeko_33785

I don't know.. I've never heard that reaction at It's Tough to Be A Bug, even though parents try to calm their kids down by saying they're "friends of Flik". It still freaks them out. I have a feeling that it could be Winnie the Pooh and those effects will still freak people out. It just might add a dash of needed comedy and levity to the attraction.

Cliff

Wasn't there a "George Lucas" affiliation with AE? Like the whole thing was HIS idea or something?

Well, this could be a good thing. Looks like they have about the same money the JIYI 3 had for a makeover budget.

For some reason, I don't feel upset that WDI is changing this thing. My attitude is that they almost can't mess it up they way they did "Imagination".

AE is "cool" but it doesn't have any "magic" that makes me feel "attatched" to it like a JII.

CT :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom