Janitors on Call with iPhones

Sonconato

Original Poster
Found this rather interesting article in the Orlando Sentinel today:

Disney will test app to call janitors
Orlando Sentinel | 5 Nov 2016 | By Sandra Pedicini Staff Writer

Walt Disney World will begin experimenting on Sunday with using iPhones to track some of its custodial workers and direct them to do specific tasks.

Unite Here Local 362, which represents the resort’s janitors, is fighting the move. It has raised issues about the custodians’ loss of seniority in choosing their assignments, potential discipline for employees who lose or damage the phones, and privacy.

“What is the purpose?” said Eric Clinton, the local Unite Here chapter’s president. “Are they trying to determine that a specific worker spends too much time in a certain area? Are they trying to determine that some workers walk faster than others? They haven’t told us. These things are very concerning.”

Disney did not make executives available for an interview. The company said in a statement that “this new approach will enable us to deploy Cast Members in real time, to areas that need

service, ultimately making the Cast and Guest experiences even better.”

The new system, called “Custodial of Tomorrow,” begins Sunday as a test of 40 employees in the Magic Kingdom’s Tomorrowland. It is supposed to run through Jan. 14.

Workers who clock in will receive iPhones, which they return at the end of their shifts.

A system of electronic sensors will determine when a restroom needs cleaning or a garbage can needs emptying. A certain number of people entering a bathroom will trigger a search for the nearest available custodian. Sensors will also be tripped when trash cans get to be about three-quarters filled.

“You get an alert — it will say go clean trash can X,” Clinton said. “You’ll be able to zoom in on a map of where that trash can is.”

Such technology has become more common, said Chris Muller, a professor of the practice at Boston University’s School of Hospitality Administration.

“Tracking them on the iPhone is kind of a little bit Big Brotherish, but ... that’s how they track 18-wheelers now or anybody who’s driving a big truck. They’re GPS located,” he said. “That’s how they know whether they’re pulling off to take their eighthour breaks.”

Disney already has radiofrequency MagicBands that many guests wear, which function as tickets and FastPasses but can provide information about visitors’ habits.

“Putting these kinds of sensors on garbage cans and restrooms and the employees is just a natural next step ... not only in better utilizing people but enhancing the customer experience so that the place is always clean, which is one of the hallmarks of that park,” said Keenan Yoho, an associate professor at the Rollins College Crummer Graduate School of Business.

But some say that in recent years, the cleaning quality has declined. Pete Werner, a travel-agency owner who runs a Disney-focused online message board and podcast, has often complained of messy resort restrooms.

“It has boggled my mind the number of times I have seen trash cans so full that you can’t open them or trash being left on trash cans because people couldn’t throw them out,” he said.

Other theme parks might also start using similar technology. A service called Tork EasyCube recently advertised in a theme-park trade publication that it “collects real-time data from connected devices” and “directs cleaning teams to exactly where they are needed.” Representatives from that company could not be reached for comment. Disney is not using that service.

Other companies that have used geolocation include Orlando-based Productivity Apex. The company launched FleetZoo, a computerized system that can assign orders to delivery-truck drivers based on their whereabouts. Sam Fayez, a director with Productivity Apex, said the company will soon finalize a contract with the city of Orlando that would design routes for building inspectors, sometimes using their locations when adjusting schedules.

Fayez described Disney’s experiment as “a smart application of an existing technology.”

Clinton said Disney’s new system was never negotiated with the union, and many issues need to be resolved.

“Most of the employees are very concerned,” Disney custodial worker Juan Alfonseca said. His colleagues feel Disney hasn’t told them enough about issues including repercussions for a worker if phone is damaged or lost, or if there’s a problem figuring out the technology.

One of Unite Here’s complaints is that senior janitors would no longer be able to choose whether they work in restrooms or in Disney’s public areas. To protest, on Halloween about a dozen employees delivered a pumpkin that said “Rest in peace, seniority” to Magic Kingdom vice president Dan Cockerell.

Some custodians prefer street work because they don’t want to clean toilets. Others prefer restrooms because the atmosphere is quieter and they don’t have to lift heavy garbage cans.

Bandini

Sounds like Disney is trying to "right size " their janitorial staff. They'll deploy as needed as opposed to having the janitorial staff patrolling designated areas. I thought the janitors carried walkie talkies? So is Disney leaving it up to the guests to notify them that a bathroom is dirty?

I have a better solution: Hire more CM's!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Sounds like Disney is trying to "right size " their janitorial staff. They'll deploy as needed as opposed to having the janitorial staff patrolling designated areas. I thought the janitors carried walkie talkies? So is Disney leaving it up to the guests to notify them that a bathroom is dirty?

Throwing bodies at something isnt always the answer.

Sonconato

Original Poster

We had heard that WDW had substantially reduced their custodial staff which was surprising considering all of the negative issues that we have heard from guests as well as seen on here about the "not so pristine" conditions parts of the parks have recently experienced. Perhaps this is their solution to trying to keep up with demand due to the increased attendance, but accomplishing this with a reduced workforce. It may work but will also put a great deal of pressure on CMs in that department to perform.

Bandini

We had heard that WDW had substantially reduced their custodial staff which was surprising considering all of the negative issues that we have heard from guests as well as seen on here about the "not so pristine" conditions parts of the parks have recently experienced. Perhaps this is their solution to trying to keep up with demand due to the increased attendance, but accomplishing this with a reduced workforce. It may work but will also put a great deal of pressure on CMs in that department to perform.
It's like any service related industry. Tools are fine, but they can't substitute for actual people emptying trash cans and cleaning bathrooms. Increased attendance needs increased staffing.

drizgirl

So an iphone is going to clean a toilet? People are required to keep the parks clean, not phones.

Bwahahaha! Only so funny because it's so true.

If they were overstaffed I could buy that a new system like this could perhaps get the job done efficiently without cutting past the fat. I just worry that they have cut so much already that this could spread them too thin.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So is Disney leaving it up to the guests to notify them that a bathroom is dirty?
The article answers this, sensors will make counts and then based on those counts they will alert a janitor. This is the part that is truly laughable. Disney does not have a good track record keeping such equipment working. They can't even keep up with the trim lighting on their flagship hotel but someone thinks hundreds of sensors in bathrooms and trash cans will be well maintained?

Last edited:

Bandini

The article answers this, sensors will make counts and then based on those counts they will alert a janitor. This is the part that is truly laughable. Disney doesn't not have a good track record keeping such equipment working. They can't even keep up with the trim lighting on their flagship hotel but someone thinks hundreds of sensors in bathrooms and trash cans will be well maintained?
Pathetic. But hey what else do you expect from the current management?

roj2323

As a former DHS custodian I would Welcome this change. Most of my coworkers however would have hated this particularly the old timers who have been at the park for 20+ years. For restrooms the issue is typically having enough time to take care of everything and even as a guy I had trouble at times ensuring my restrooms (I had 5 some times, 3 regular and 2 companion) were always clean. For women's restrooms they have the added challenge of sanitary bins to handle as well as bathrooms that are ALWAYS full. I closed the women's restrooms in areas clear of guests a few times and it take about 20 minutes longer to clean and close out a women restroom than a mens. Anyway, what I'm getting at here is anything that can help organize the chaos and get additional cast in restrooms when its needed would be incredibly welcome in my opinion.

roj2323

Pathetic. But hey what else do you expect from the current management?
Custodial management is retentive about Upkeep. Restrooms are one of the few places in a park literally every guest will visit so keeping them clean, safe and maintained is a top priority. Granted no system is perfect but you would be surprised to see the amount of work that goes into keeping the restrooms working, even if they do look dated in some cases.

Bandini

Custodial management is **** retentive about Upkeep. Restrooms are one of the few places in a park literally every guest will visit so keeping them clean, safe and maintained is a top priority. Granted no system is perfect but you would be surprised to see the amount of work that goes into keeping the restrooms working, even if they do look dated in some cases.
Hats off to you, I'm sure that was a monumental job.

However based on what you're saying, the custodial department doesn't have enough staff to keep up with the the work that's required. TWDC cut park staff but the attendance has continued to increase. Wouldn't additional CM's be a solution to the problem of overflowing trash cans, trash in ride queues, and dirty bathrooms?

drizgirl

Hats off to you, I'm sure that was a monumental job.

However based on what you're saying, the custodial department doesn't have enough staff to keep up with the the work that's required. TWDC cut park staff but the attendance has continued to increase. Wouldn't additional CM's be a solution to the problem of overflowing trash cans, trash in ride queues, and dirty bathrooms?

Ultimately that's what it boils down to. If they have already cut staff too far, all the fancy tech gadgets in the world won't get the job done.

Bandini

Of course it is. Any big business has an infinite amount of money to spend on employees.

I wish that Target had someone stationed in every isle. It's downright rude that they make me exert the energy to go find someone if I have a question.
It's interesting to compare the janitorial staff assigned to keep the parks clean and sanitary with the customer service at a Target. Not really an apples to apples comparison, is it?
BTW, I've always found the bathrooms at my Target to be clean.

21stamps

It's interesting to compare the janitorial staff assigned to keep the parks clean and sanitary with the customer service at a Target. Not really an apples to apples comparison, is it?
BTW, I've always found the bathrooms at my Target to be clean.
I think you missed the point.

lazyboy97o

Custodial management is **** retentive about Upkeep. Restrooms are one of the few places in a park literally every guest will visit so keeping them clean, safe and maintained is a top priority. Granted no system is perfect but you would be surprised to see the amount of work that goes into keeping the restrooms working, even if they do look dated in some cases.
It is not likely that Custodial is going to be directly responsible for maintaining the sensors that would this system to work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom