James Bond and Disney?!?

cab5f

Original Poster
With the release of "Quantum of Solace" this weekend (which was very good by the way!), do you think Disney would ever explore the possibility of bringing some kind of James Bond attraction to the parks. After all, the Bond brand is popular around the world (especially Europe) and it's one of the most known and profitable franchises out there (it made a record 70 million in the U.S. this weekend. I think Lights, Motors, Stunt Show Puts A Damper On Things as it is a stunt show and features cars, guns, and action, all features of Bond movies, but why not?

EpcotServo

LMA was stunt-choreographed by the stunt coordinator from the orginal Bond films, so I think that's the best you could get.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
From what I recall, Disney had to ask for - and pay for - special rights to Bond, even though it was through MGM/UA. They decided not to. And now with no ties to MGM the price is bound to be higher.

EpcotServo

Unless anything changed, I believe the Bond theme is in the GMR/HAT BGM, and some Bond movies are also in GMR's finale.

M:SpilotISTC12

I think it would be just a little weird having a Bond stunt show because you have Indy and James Bond stunt shows in the same park. Maybe they should put an Indy ride in and then make LMA a Bond stunt show.

steener618

Ironically, before it became the Indy stunt show, Disney was considering it to be a James Bond stunt show back in the Studios early days. Its true.

cab5f

Original Poster
If and when Lights, Motors, Action Show Flattens Out ,(Which Is Still Years Away), I Could See Adding Bond To Spice It Up.

stitch2008

Bond at Disney? That would be awsome I think. And Bond wouldnt have to be involved in LMA either. Maybe Disney could do something similar to T2-3D at Universal with Bond.

RonAnnArbor

Lights Motors Action WAS supposed to be a James Bond auto stunt show. Disneyland Paris who created the attraction could not come to an agreement for the royalties to use the Bond name in the show, and it was changed to a generic car stunt attraction.

Bond is now owned by Paramount. The day Paramount and Disney come to terms on any kind of royalty deal is going to be...well....never...

slappy magoo

Lights Motors Action WAS supposed to be a James Bond auto stunt show. Disneyland Paris who created the attraction could not come to an agreement for the royalties to use the Bond name in the show, and it was changed to a generic car stunt attraction.

Bond is now owned by Paramount. The day Paramount and Disney come to terms on any kind of royalty deal is going to be...well....never...

Not Paramount. Sony bought MGM/UA so now they have the distribution rights to Bond projects.

I think the deal is that all Bond movies have to go through the estate of Albert R. Broccoli (sp?) Older forum members may remember how Bond movie posters would often say Albert R. Broccoli Presents Roger Moore as James Bond in (Movie Title)." Broccoli bought the rights to the character and franchise, and had an exclusive distribution deal with MGM/UA that has continued to this day, even though MGM is now owned by Sony. But since Broccoli shuffled off this mortal coil, his estate has to be consulted on all Bond matters, and that includes promotional tie-ins, be they Bond video games, or car commercials, booze, anything. And the estate has a history of being kinda pain-in-the-a$$-ish about maintaining the integrity of the brand. Yeah, I know, why weren't they maintaining the integrity of the brand with most of the actual movies over the past 30 years? But in any event, the combination of action and adventure with the layer of cute-ness that would be part of a Disney stage show, they probably saw as a conflict of interest, especially since Bond would never be as big a star for the park as Mickey Mouse.

Cmdr_Crimson

With the release of "Quantum of Solace" this weekend (which was very good by the way!), do you think Disney would ever explore the possibility of bringing some kind of James Bond attraction to the parks. After all, the Bond brand is popular around the world (especially Europe) and it's one of the most known and profitable franchises out there (it made a record 70 million in the U.S. this weekend. I think Lights, Motors, Stunt Show Puts A Damper On Things as it is a stunt show and features cars, guns, and action, all features of Bond movies, but why not?

Hmm...Maybe if it was still part of MGM

CaptainSparrow5

Not Paramount. Sony bought MGM/UA so now they have the distribution rights to Bond projects.

I think the deal is that all Bond movies have to go through the estate of Albert R. Broccoli (sp?) Older forum members may remember how Bond movie posters would often say Albert R. Broccoli Presents Roger Moore as James Bond in (Movie Title)." Broccoli bought the rights to the character and franchise, and had an exclusive distribution deal with MGM/UA that has continued to this day, even though MGM is now owned by Sony. But since Broccoli shuffled off this mortal coil, his estate has to be consulted on all Bond matters, and that includes promotional tie-ins, be they Bond video games, or car commercials, booze, anything. And the estate has a history of being kinda pain-in-the-a$$-ish about maintaining the integrity of the brand. Yeah, I know, why weren't they maintaining the integrity of the brand with most of the actual movies over the past 30 years? But in any event, the combination of action and adventure with the layer of cute-ness that would be part of a Disney stage show, they probably saw as a conflict of interest, especially since Bond would never be as big a star for the park as Mickey Mouse.

Not only would Disney have to get the rights for Bond through MGM/UA and Sony but the company that Albert R. Broccoli founded EON Productions. The company that is behind the James Bond franchise. As you see in today movies since The World Is Not Enough it says "Albert R. Broocoli's EON Productions Presents" Also Broccoli didn't buy the rights, in 1962 he and Harry Saltzmen made the franchise with Dr.No and then on. When Saltzmen dropped out Broccoli took over. So really Disney may pay alot from EON to get the big rights. But I hope Disney can get the rights sometime in the future.

matt88mph

Actually, there was a James Bond ride in existence for a short time...at Paramount's theme parks. Unfortunately, there's little on the internet about this ride, but, from what i've gathered, it was titled "James Bond: License to Thrill," and it opened in 1998. It was one of those motion simulator theater rides that you see in Six Flags parks. I know that the ride was at least at Kings' Dominion in Virginia, if not in any other parks. Footage is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UCA4u1dCCU

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Oh good I thought I remembered hearing about a 007 ride being open but didn't have details. I guess it wasn't very good or we'd have more info on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom