It's Tough to be a Bug! "stings"

fjm777

Original Poster
Does anyone know about the stings during the "It's Tough to be a Bug!" 3D show? I have read that you can get shocked to simulate a insect sting. Is it a big shock or just a little one. I went once but did not experience any stings. Anyway, I can't seem to find any warnings about it as far as people with heart problems.

Thanks.

MCMike37

Yup, when you sit down, you can see a small hol ein the center of each back. This is why they have the seat seperations when you sit down to properly center you in the seat to recieve the "sting."

nicholas

First time I saw this show, the sting hit me right on one of my vertebrates and was quite uncomfortable. I haven't been able to sit back and allow it to sting me since. I keep telling myself if I lean to the side it will hit a more fleshy part of my back and won't be as painful, but it doesn't work. I just can't do it. It psychologically scarred me. :p

Journey

fjm777 said:
Does anyone know about the stings during the "It's Tough to be a Bug!" 3D show? I have read that you can get shocked to simulate a insect sting. Is it a big shock or just a little one. I went once but did not experience any stings. Anyway, I can't seem to find any warnings about it as far as people with heart problems.

Thanks.
^^^^^^^^^ Like the other folks said, you will be fine ! Enjoy the experience!

Don't even ask about the Bug Spray part! :lol:

Miss Bell

I always lean up, too. :) The rolling bugs don't bother me, but I guess I'm a wimp, cause the stings hurt! I always tell myself that I'll lean back next time, but...

dxwwf3

Here's another lean up guy. This is the only effect in any show that I don't like. It hit me in the wrong spot one time (it wasn't even the first time) and I don't want it to happen like that again. It's a good effect, but it's not a highlight of the show by any means.

I'm absolutely shocked that Disney hasn't taken this effect out. You would think there would be handfulls of complaints about this every day. Beats me.

PhilosophyMagic

The stings are surprisingly painful- I know it's becoming a challenge to create new, more intense "4-D" effects, but I seriously think Disney crossed the line there. It's the scariest thing at WDW! Still, I'm glad they did that... it's NEVER expected, and SOOO much better than the lame vibrating 'bee-sting" seats at the Seaworld Pirates show.

OPINION: which is better Philharmagic or Tough to be a Bug?

mrtoad

I think it is a great effect in that I half sit back because I know it is there and I am freaked about it. Most affects once you know them don't freak you out or anything, but this does. It did not hurt me ever, it just feels kinda strange I guess. I am alergic to bees so maybe that is why.

Anyway, I think it is a great affect

Captain Hank

I've never allowed myself to sit back during the bee sequence. I'm also allergic to bees, so I always lean forward. And to the question posed earlier, Phillharmagic wins hands-down. The 3-D effects focus better, the in-theater effects are just as good, if not better, and it's far more family-friendly.

raven

I agree too on the Philharmagic thing. It's much better than any other of the attractions like it. I think with each new film, Disney gets better at perfecting them.

WDWScottieBoy

I have now seen the show three different times, the first time was opening week and the last time was three weeks ago. The second time I saw it I leaned forward because it hit my vertebrae as it has others mentioned above. I told my parents that it really hurt me because of the spot it stung me but they all get hit in a "good" spot I guess and it didn't bother them. This past time I was going to lean forward to watch a first-timer's reaction to it but completely forgot about it right before and ended up getting stung again, thankfully it didn't hurt this time.

Grim Grinner

It's definitely a poke!

And it seems to have changed since I went in 2000. When I saw the show during my honeymoon, the stinger came out of the chair and jammed me in the spine. Not only did it hurt, it broke the skin. After the lights came up, I saw that the little poker thingie was stuck in its out position. So I walked away with a mildly bleeding back from that one.

During subsequent trips, I leaned forward, but noticed before-hand that the position of the poker was different. Sure enough, it's supposed to zing you in the butt now. However, sit the wrong way and you'll get jabbed like my poor female friend who shouted in the middle of the show "I've been violated!". Yeah, it sorta pokes in the center of your butt....

I have a customer who stops by who used to work on it for years. I'll hopefully be able to get a confirmation on the stinger location's change. Me? I'd just lean forward.

barnum42

fjm777 said:
So, which is it...

A Shock or a Poke?
As the actress said to the bishop :lookaroun

But seriously - it's a stick that jabs you in the back. It's a good (if uncomfortable) effect. I'm another leaner - if you are worried, lean forwards when the spiders arrive.

symbasys

Glad I'm not the only leaner! :lol: The first time I saw the show and got stung, it hit me in such a way that I got a muscle spasm in my back. It hurt for the rest of the day. Kinda made me mad at the time that they would have something in a show that could cause mild injury like that. Anyway now I know it's coming and make sure I'm out of the way.

Oh, and Mickey's Philharmagic blows ITTBAB away in my opinion! :D

KevinPage

Oy vey. And I thought this was a hardcore Disney fan site. I'm shocked there are so many "leaners" or as I like to call them, "wimps" :lol: :lol:

Next thing you know, you'll tell me you close your eyes on the Splash Mountain drop and use the barf bags on Mission Space :drevil: :drevil: :drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom