It's over: Give a day...

MousDad

Two words: noble and shrewd.

Noble: TWDC offering an incentive to spark volunteerism.

Shrewd: 1 million more people spent money in the parks then otherwise would have.

Frankly, I don't know why they wouldn't want to extend it. :shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
The financial point is a fair one...but I also think it's fair to ask why they offered free tickets to anyone who wasn't born on Feb. 29 (boy, were they screwed :lookaroun) last year, then capped this promotion at a million. What made the two promotions so different to the Disney accountants? It's a question born more of curiousity than disappointment for me.

Pretty sure I remember reading fine print saying that anyone born on Feb 29th could choose to use their free day on the 28th or 1st. :lol:

Anyway, I thought this was a cool promotion. It opened my eyes to just how many different opportunities I have in my area to volunteer and I can see myself utilizing the Hands on Network again in the future (something I didn't even know existed until this promotion came about).

I did my volunteer thingy today...just in the nick of time I guess! I had a blast doing it, and now my family will reap $400 worth of Disney benefits. Win-win for lots of people!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I can also say that overtly pixie dust is amazing POV makes me want to vomit, what's the difference? :shrug:

I think you have latched ahold to this word lame that one person used. It's a shame that you can't see the rational point of view, which is people were shocked it didn't, not that they should.

Btw, I don't buy the financial implications, after the birthday promotion and YOMD. I'm actually wondering what the ROI is on the marketing campaign they created for this since those ads are now useless. They are going to have to either create new ones or change them.

This was the first thing that popped in my head as soon as I saw on Twitter earlier today that the campaign was over. Seems to me like they spent an awful lot of money for something so temporary. :shrug:

jakeman

I can also say that overtly pixie dust is amazing POV makes me want to vomit, what's the difference? :shrug:

I think you have latched ahold to this word lame that one person used. It's a shame that you can't see the rational point of view, which is people were shocked it didn't, not that they should.

Btw, I don't buy the financial implications, after the birthday promotion and YOMD. I'm actually wondering what the ROI is on the marketing campaign they created for this since those ads are now useless. They are going to have to either create new ones or change them.
I understand your point, but the little drops of negativity have become a deluge (ala The Living Seas) drowning out any rational arguement.

It would be good PR for the company to extend it. That would be the rational response. However, we get "lame". Overall, we seem to have two different interpretations of the posters intent. I'll stand by my interpretation that it is in line with the general tone of the forums now days.

I acknowledged it was a great promotion when the promotion was announced. I didn't think I had to do it again.

And not following my posts? Oh...I don't think that's true.;)
:ROFLOL: Oh you flatter yourself.

The internet has the memory of a goldfish. That's why I always preference my PI post with, "I've said that closing PI was a bad idea..."

On top of that, it's perfectly within anyone's prerogative to be a critic as you so implied. There's a definite reason for it.
It's also within anyone's perogative to eat enough carrots to make themselves turn orange, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

EPCOT Explorer

It's also within anyone's perogative to eat enough carrots to make themselves turn orange, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

It's a discussion board, you want everyone to abstain from posting their opinion? :rolleyes: :lol:

WDWFigment

Without getting into the whole negativity versus positivity thing discussion going one, I'd like to pose a question/discussion point about the 'cost' of the promotion to Disney.

I think it's nearly impossible to quantify the cost of the promotion to Disney. While you (well, not you being anyone here, but someone working for Disney with the right information could) calculate the cost in tickets, you can't calculate the other costs. Disney spent money on advertising that may or may not be as effective as substitute advertising (I've seen both Give a Day Get a Day advertising and NON-GADGAD advertising), they have set up an infrastructure to handle the promotion, etc.

Conversely, Disney is benefiting from a goodwill perspective. Corporate goodwill certainly does have a value, and from that perspective, this promotion likely has been great for Disney.

On another note, how much are the tickets actually costing? Let's say Disney loses...say $55 because the ticket is applied to an 6 day pass (made up numbers here), but the trip wouldn't have been made in the first place but for the promotion. Disney nets $435 in profits from the trip that it otherwise would not have gained (and that's after the $55 ticket is figured in). Again, those are two made up numbers, but I think you all get the idea. To be sure, I don't doubt that there are somewhat local non-AP holders who come down for one day, don't eat anything on property, don't buy any souviners, and just use their one day ticket. Those folks obviously 'cost' Disney the full face value of the ticket. However, if they wouldn't have visited anyway, they aren't costing Disney full face value (unless they visit on a day when the park exceeds capacity and someone else is preventing from entering because of them).

I guess it really matters how all of these factors (and likely other factors) balance, which is almost certainly beyond the scope of any of our knowledge. I'm not claiming to have the answer--I'm just claiming that no one has the answer!

In any case, I think it's hard to view this promotion in a negative light. Sure, it may not look great that it's (seemingly) coming to an end prematurely, but I don't think that should sour an otherwise beneficial and positive promotion.

krankenstein

I understand your point, but the little drops of negativity have become a deluge (ala The Living Seas) drowning out any rational arguement.

It would be good PR for the company to extend it. That would be the rational response. However, we get "lame". Overall, we seem to have two different interpretations of the posters intent. I'll stand by my interpretation that it is in line with the general tone of the forums now days.

:ROFLOL: Oh you flatter yourself.

The internet has the memory of a goldfish. That's why I always preference my PI post with, "I've said that closing PI was a bad idea..."

My opinion is that this is a discussion forum on which most people do not feel a need to enunciate everything eloquently. Thusly, leaving things up to people interpretations that often are skewed to begin with. It's like some people have decided that a line has been drawn and you have to pick a camp, which is not true at all. It really is sad that you or anyone else would immediately assume that something is overtly negative without giving people a chance to explain themselves more fully.

SirGoofy

In any case, I think it's hard to view this promotion in a negative light. Sure, it may not look great that it's (seemingly) coming to an end prematurely, but I don't think that should sour an otherwise beneficial and positive promotion.

Personally, especially from my point of view, no one is viewing the promotion in a negative light. It was a great idea. People just think more could be done.

Does that change the fact that it was a good promotion? No. But I wasn't going to sit around and get bashed or flamed for saying that more volunteers could have been inspired.

EPCOT Explorer

My opinion is that this is a discussion forum on which most people do not feel a need to enunciate everything eloquently. Thusly, leaving things up to people interpretations that often are skewed to begin with. It's like some people have decided that a line has been drawn and you have to pick a camp, which is not true at all. It really is sad that you or anyone else would immediately assume that something is overtly negative without giving people a chance to explain themselves more fully.

:sohappy: :sohappy:

Yep. Everyone loves to pick a side and stay with it. Perfectly ridiculous. :rolleyes: What ever happened to a individual's opinion based on the issue, not past history. That's the whole basis for this thread, anyway. Who said what when, and why that makes your point wrong. That's sad.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Without getting into the whole negativity versus positivity thing discussion going one, I'd like to pose a question/discussion point about the 'cost' of the promotion to Disney.

I think it's nearly impossible to quantify the cost of the promotion to Disney. While you (well, not you being anyone here, but someone working for Disney with the right information could) calculate the cost in tickets, you can't calculate the other costs. Disney spent money on advertising that may or may not be as effective as substitute advertising (I've seen both Give a Day Get a Day advertising and NON-GADGAD advertising), they have

Conversely, who is Disney benefiting from a goodwill perspective? Corporate goodwill certainly does have a value, and from that perspective, this promotion likely has been great for Disney.

On another note, how much are the tickets actually costing? Let's say Disney loses...say $55 because the ticket is applied to an 6 day pass (made up numbers here), but the trip wouldn't have been made in the first place but for the promotion. Disney nets $435 in profits from the trip that it otherwise would not have gained (and that's after the $55 ticket is figured in). Again, those are two made up numbers, but I think you all get the idea. To be sure, I don't doubt that there are somewhat local non-AP holders who come down for one day, don't eat anything on property, don't buy any souviners, and just use their one day ticket.

I guess it really matters how all of these factors (and likely other factors) balance, which is almost certainly beyond the scope of any of our knowledge.

I honestly don't think even having access to all of the available data anyone could do better than a very rough estimate of how much benefit or cost overall there may have been for Disney. You'd have to know which recipients of tickets would have come anyway and thus there was a slight loss, which would never have come but extended beyond the one day and thus there was likely an extra profit and finally which used only the one day. Then you'd need to factor in whether the advertising attracted people who didn't volunteer but were impressed by the promotion's premise and decided to go when they might not have otherwise and people who didn't go who might have been influenced by more of the regular Disney advertising instead...

Best they could really do is an approximation of whether the promotion might have pushed overall attendance higher or dropped it lower than would normally have been forecast.

WDWFigment

Personally, especially from my point of view, no one is viewing the promotion in a negative light. It was a great idea. People just think more could be done.

Does that change the fact that it was a good promotion? No. But I wasn't going to sit around and get bashed or flamed for saying that more volunteers could have been inspired.

I wasn't picking on you or the other "camp" specifically. I think both 'sides' have their points; I see the big problem is that the two sides are talking past each other. It's almost as if this is a political issue! :p

SirGoofy

I wasn't picking on you or the other "camp" specifically. I think both 'sides' have your points; I see the big problem is that the two sides are talking past each other. It's almost as if this is a political issue! :p

:lol: It's fine. I was pretty sure you weren't but I felt like explaining myself.

And this IS almost a political issue. WDWMagic politics.:lol:

s8film40

I would guess that the limit of One Million tickets might have something to do with Limits to charitable donation tax deduction limits. I would assume they are counting every $79 ticket as a charitable donation.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Awesome story.:)

300 is a heck of a lot.

Oh my gosh...I know what Disney is building up to. They're preparing for the future when corporations have privatized armies.

"Give a year of service, get a day!"

:eek:

You joke, but I could see it happening. :lookaroun Corporations need to have someone to do all the scut work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom