It's over: Give a day...

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
FYI the program has officially reached 1 million volunteers and has ended. Visit http://www.disneyparks.com/ for more info.

Personally (not on behalf of the company) I'd like to say thank you to all of the volunteers out there. I know that a few of the local agencies I support are greatly appreciative too, including Junior Achievement and Adult Achievers.

It's an amazing milestone to hit 1 million volunteers in just over two months. I'm sure some that didn't get an opportunity will be disappointed, but please keep it in perspective of how successful the program was that one million people were able to successfully participate.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Well that was quick. :shrug:

I'm going to hazard a guess that they didn't envision the program being over only 2.5 months into the year. What the heck are they going to bombard us with for the remaining 9.5 months. :shrug:

_Scar

rofl... already!? Impressive, but sucks for people who scheduled their volunteering in the coming days.

Now what? Will they continue the parade?

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
If you've already scheduled your volunteer opportunity you're eligible. It's closed to new sign ups.
rofl... already!? Impressive, but sucks for people who scheduled their volunteering in the coming days.

Now what? Will they continue the parade?

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
why cap it at a million? thats lame.
Yes... quite lame to give out something for free to ONE MILLION PEOPLE for bettering their communities.

It was announced up front it would be limited to one million. They even gave everyone a fair warning a few weeks ago saying the program had hit 600,000.
Again, lets look at the important part here. A major corporation is offering something of value for bettering your local community. Not every day that something like that happens.

Yes.

How lame.

(see, this is why I don't post here like I used to)

mousefan1972

Yes... quite lame to give out something for free to ONE MILLION PEOPLE for bettering their communities.

It was announced up front it would be limited to one million. They even gave everyone a fair warning a few weeks ago saying the program had hit 600,000.
Again, lets look at the important part here. A major corporation is offering something of value for bettering your local community. Not every day that something like that happens.

Yes.

How lame.

I enjoy your posts. They are informative and well written. Please don't let one, er, lame repsonse to this thread derail you from posting more frequently. :wave:

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
Thanks. It's not so much a single post about something being lame, certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions.

However what gets me is the general negativity of the boards. It's funny to go to a place to discuss "the happiest place on earth" (yes, that's DL not WDW) and say giving away 1 million tickets for volunteerism is lame or that updating or replacing outdated attractions is dumb.

Sure, it usually holds true that the biggest fans are also the biggest critics, but being critical all the time takes the fun out of it.

Rule number 32: enjoy the little things

;)
I enjoy your posts. They are informative and well written. Please don't let one, er, lame repsonse to this thread derail you from posting more frequently. :wave:

cdunbar

I agree with mousefan, your posts are always VERY informative and I too enjoy reading them, so PLEASE pop in more frequently!:animwink:

rodserling27

You can still volunteer and have the satisfaction that you have benefited mankind. Then treat YOURSELF to a trip to Disney!

Absolutely. Best idea yet. Personally, I don't think it was really volunteering since there was a reward. Volunteering to ME means giving your time in exchange for nothing more than satisfaction that you help make a difference. Volunteering and getting a ticket to WDW or DL = working (for $$$$) as in a JOB.

But I applaud The Disney Corporation for inspiring people to get up and help out in their communities. That's the wonderful good that comes from this!

krankenstein

Yes.

How lame.

I think the poster meant it seems odd that they capped it at one million. Maybe he wasn't exactly eloquent, but that happens to all of us from time to time. :shrug:

I really thought Disney would've extended it, but I am grateful for the program and what Disney did with it. This was one of the best promotions they have ever done and I would've loved to have seen it go longer. Hopefully, we won't lose the ads featuring The Muppets.

mousefan1972

Thanks. It's not so much a single post about something being lame, certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions.

However what gets me is the general negativity of the boards. It's funny to go to a place to discuss "the happiest place on earth" (yes, that's DL not WDW) and say giving away 1 million tickets for volunteerism is lame or that updating or replacing outdated attractions is dumb.

Sure, it usually holds true that the biggest fans are also the biggest critics, but being critical all the time takes the fun out of it.

Rule number 32: enjoy the little things

;)

I see your point about the negativity of the boards, which is why I don't usually post in news and rumors. :lol: I read the updates and then let the bashers do their thing. WDW brings too much joy to my family for me to spend time dissecting every announcement in a negative manner. :shrug:

And I always enjoy the little things.... :animwink:

SirGoofy

Here's my personal problem with cutting it off at 1 million.

Yes, the idea is for people to volunteer ad help out their community. But personally, it takes a lot for most people to get off their butts and experience how great helping out the community really is. I'll use the anecdotal story of my own experience of volunteering as an example.

I went away for Habitat for Humanity after my Junior year in high school, basically just to put it on my college application. I'm not going to lie, I was doing it for purely selfish reasons. But during the week long trip in Kentucky, I realized how much fun I was having and how good it felt to help these people out. It also gave me a great sense of perspective on how lucky I am in my life.

If Disney had made this an unlimited opportunity, many, many more people may have had this epiphany. Sure, they may start out with selfish goals, but they end up being a volunteer for life.

Just my 2 cents.

_Scar

Isn't volunteering to get Disney tickets purely selfish?

lol

because you can't handle another persons opinion? yea, i think it's lame that a major corporation ended what seemed to be a year long campaign....it's not like disney is not profiting from this! they should have extended it to the end of the year IMO!

I don't think disney is profiting in this campaign unless you count the good reputation they're getting that might cause people to go.

Next Big Thing

Agreed. Seems like a very odd thing to do.
You have to remember that they are giving out free passes to Disney, that may or may not be used. I would certainly love to see them extend it, but they do run a business and sometimes you have to make business decisions. If it makes the most business sense to cap it a million then that is what they are going to do I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom