Trip Report It takes two to make a trip go right-June 2018

Who: just DH (@MSUJafar, who I will call E for the remainder of this report) and I. DD20 stayed home this year to watch the dog and also because she is taking summer classes.
When: June 16-27. We don't usually travel this early in the summer, but E is getting his Master's Degree and this was during a break for him. As for myself, it was a little stressful leaving the day after school got out (I'm a teacher for those who don't know). We really ended up liking this time of year much better than our usual July or August trips.
Where: 1 night at Pop Century (it ended up saving us money to fly out a day earlier than we had planned), 4 nights at BLT, and 6 nights at Boardwalk.
Let's get this show on the road!
Our flight from Detroit was scheduled to leave at 3:30. I think we got to the airport around noon because we were more than ready to get this vacation under way! We had to enjoy some chicken tortilla soup since the airport is our only Max & Erma's left in our area. We enjoyed a few drinks before boarding. We were flying Delta Comfort, so we were looking forward to more drinks on the plane, but because of some turbulence we only ended up having one on the plane.
I apologize for the lack of pictures so far, but my day drinking gave me an early hangover and I wasn't in the picture taking mood yet. Here are a couple from our Pop room.
DSC01045.JPG
DSC01046.JPG

As DVC members, we are definitely deluxe snobs, but this room was more than comfortable and very clean. The walk in shower was amazing (the best shower we had the whole trip)! It was around 8:00 p.m. when we got into our room. We called an Uber to take us to Publix for some water, beer and snacks. This was new for us since we usually use a grocery delivery service. We decided to try it this way since technically this was a "bonus" day for us. We were both tired and hangry, so we ended up getting into an argument at Publix.:oops: It wasn't too bad though and as soon as we dropped off the groceries and had some food at Everything Pop, all was well.
DSC01055.JPG

We retired for the night in anticipation of our move to BLT and our most looked forward to ADR of the trip: Brunch at the Top!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Love your ToT picture!!
Thanks! :)
I love the idea of a Boardwalk area bar crawl! We're staying at Yacht Club over Labor Day weekend, and we'll definitely be giving that a go!
We really enjoyed it, but we probably won't eat a full meal the next time we do it.
Really enjoying your trip report! Between all these cocktails and brunch at Cali Grill, you're getting me super excited for our trip. 31 days to go!
31 days?! So jealous! I hope you have a blast!
What she said ^^^^!!
:happy:
Thanks for sharing the Flag ceremony. I would love to see that one day.
I hope you do see it one day.
Love the bar hopping on the last night!
I hope you do see the Flag ceremony one day. Your photos will be amazing! Bar hopping is the best!
I love the idea of the Boardwalk area bar hop, we have done the monorail one a couple times. Something new to add to the to-do list!
That's what is so great about Disney...always something new to add to the to-do list!

KatieLVT

I'm a little behind in catching up, but loving your report! Love E's Pine t-shirt...just down the road from my house! :)

mlegerto

We haven't done the Boardwalk area bar crawl...might have to add that to our future trip plans! Looks awesome, despite the rain of course.

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
I'm a little behind in catching up, but loving your report! Love E's Pine **** t-shirt...just down the road from my house! :)
Um....ok that was weird. The web site just edited me on my last post :confused: It's just the name of music venue?!
:hilarious: I guess I can see how that word would be considered "dirty"! We will never call it DTE...it will always be Pine **** to us! We had some drinks at the Edison while he was wearing that shirt that sparked a really nice conversation with Dean the bartender who is from Detroit.
We haven't done the Boardwalk area bar crawl...might have to add that to our future trip plans! Looks awesome, despite the rain of course.
Congrats on your baby! Yes, bar crawls are our new favorite thing! Looking forward to your Babymoon report!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
6/27: Departure Day. :cry:
I've been putting this last bit off because I don't want it to be over! Not really...I just haven't gathered my "final thoughts" yet so that part will have to wait.
On previous trips we have gone from a Monday to a Thursday. When we leave on Thursday, we have to take an early flight because it's E's golf league day and he doesn't like to miss two weeks in a row.
Since we were leaving on Wednesday, we booked an evening flight which meant an "extra" park morning and afternoon! After doing airline check-in and leaving our carry-ons with bell services, we were on our way to MK!
It was another beautiful day. This was the first day that the crowds were noticeably bigger. On our way in we were asked if we wanted to ride the fire truck to the castle. Of course we did!
DSC01541.JPG

We were crammed in like sardines and it was HOT, but we were happy to get to do something new.
Not many photos from today. We had a FP for Buzz, Haunted Mansion and Pirates.
DSC01542.JPG

Buzz selfie!
After Pirates I managed to snag a FP for Big Thunder which was our last ride of the trip. We haven't ridden it in awhile because E thought it hurt his back. I'm happy to say he felt it was much smoother and it goes back on our list of must dos!
DSC01543.JPG

Since we hadn't visited Beaches n Cream on this trip, I enjoyed this tasty treat on the way out.
DSC01544.JPG

Not much else to tell. Tragical Express was 30 minutes late and our flight was delayed. I guess we should have stayed one more day!
It was a close to perfect trip and I've enjoyed reliving it through this report.
Thanks to everyone who has been following along. Hopefully I will be able to gather my final thoughts in the near future.

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Final Thoughts
On visiting in June as opposed to late July/August:
-We loved the weather! Maybe it was a lucky year, but for most of the 10 days there was lower than normal humidity and temperatures. Also less rain than our usual trips.
-Crowd levels were lower for the first week at least. They picked up noticeably the closer it got to Toy Story Land opening.
-I think we encountered only one tour group and it was small.
-It was a tad bit stressful leaving the day after school got out, but it was nice having the whole summer ahead of me when I returned.

On eating and drinking:
-We've decided that on our next trip we will stick with less ADRs and more lounge eating. Of course there are certain must dos like Cali Grill brunch, breakfast at Kona Cafe and HBD, but aside from that we just weren't thrilled with our table service meals this time.
-More snacks! Less ADRs will enable us to try more snacks which we are usually too full to do.
-No day drinking! Or at least limit it to one so I don't want to crawl into bed at 5:00.:facepalm:

On resting:
-Reinstating pool days or at least pool mornings is a must. This trip was unusual in that we were unable to secure FP for TSMM and hoping for a soft opening of Toy Story Land. These 2 things combined "forced" us to rope drop HS twice when we really didn't need to.

On split stays:
-We actually love them. It makes us feel like it's 2 separate vacations and since we choose one resort on the monorail loop and one Epcot resort, it's the best of both worlds. (singing either Van Halen or Miley Cyrus song here, depending on your age) :hilarious:

I guess that's it. Thanks again to all who were following along! Now I can go back to just enjoying reading everyone else's reports. TTFN!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Loved reading your report!
Thank you so much! I quite enjoyed writing it. :)
Definitely Van Halen

Opps, wrong Van Halen.

:hilarious: I like both, but I'm partial to Sammy Hagar!
What a fun report @PineapplePrincess. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks @Tuvalu! Coming from you, that really means something!;)
Thanks for the report! I agree with less ADRs. We didn't do a meal plan last trip and enjoyed the days we didn't have to scramble to make a reservation.
For years we were all about the food, but now we prefer being in the moment. Hope to see a Fractal trip report sometime in the near future!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Great trip report!!
I'm enjoying yours...you put in so much more detail than I did! I guess I'm a lazy trip reporter. :hilarious: I love how we both berate ourselves for not taking notes!
:jawdrop: What!! Sammy by far seems like a better person but I just love the sound they had with David.
Sammy just seems so laid back, so he's much more suited to my personality. David's presence is soooo big!

riverside

Premium Member
I'm enjoying yours...you put in so much more detail than I did! I guess I'm a lazy trip reporter. :hilarious: I love how we both berate ourselves for not taking notes!
Thank you!! Everyone has a different style--that's what makes these so fun!! I'm a very detail oriented person so that's probably why. I was bad with the note taking on the drinks especially. I'll do better next time!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom