Trip Report It takes two to make a trip go right-June 2018

Who: just DH (@MSUJafar, who I will call E for the remainder of this report) and I. DD20 stayed home this year to watch the dog and also because she is taking summer classes.
When: June 16-27. We don't usually travel this early in the summer, but E is getting his Master's Degree and this was during a break for him. As for myself, it was a little stressful leaving the day after school got out (I'm a teacher for those who don't know). We really ended up liking this time of year much better than our usual July or August trips.
Where: 1 night at Pop Century (it ended up saving us money to fly out a day earlier than we had planned), 4 nights at BLT, and 6 nights at Boardwalk.
Let's get this show on the road!
Our flight from Detroit was scheduled to leave at 3:30. I think we got to the airport around noon because we were more than ready to get this vacation under way! We had to enjoy some chicken tortilla soup since the airport is our only Max & Erma's left in our area. We enjoyed a few drinks before boarding. We were flying Delta Comfort, so we were looking forward to more drinks on the plane, but because of some turbulence we only ended up having one on the plane.
I apologize for the lack of pictures so far, but my day drinking gave me an early hangover and I wasn't in the picture taking mood yet. Here are a couple from our Pop room.
DSC01045.JPG
DSC01046.JPG

As DVC members, we are definitely deluxe snobs, but this room was more than comfortable and very clean. The walk in shower was amazing (the best shower we had the whole trip)! It was around 8:00 p.m. when we got into our room. We called an Uber to take us to Publix for some water, beer and snacks. This was new for us since we usually use a grocery delivery service. We decided to try it this way since technically this was a "bonus" day for us. We were both tired and hangry, so we ended up getting into an argument at Publix.:oops: It wasn't too bad though and as soon as we dropped off the groceries and had some food at Everything Pop, all was well.
DSC01055.JPG

We retired for the night in anticipation of our move to BLT and our most looked forward to ADR of the trip: Brunch at the Top!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Any TR title that makes me sing in my head is awesome in my book! Definitely following along. :cat:
I usually stress over my trip titles, but this one just came to me out of nowhere! Glad to have you along!
YUM! Brunch at the top!! I've heard many, many amazing things about Pop, but we've never been. One day, we'll have to check it out!
We thought it was a perfect way to start our trip!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
So here we are on the first full day of our trip (6/17). We had a 10:30 ADR for Brunch at the Top, so we checked out of Pop and headed to the buses. But first a few photos on the way out.
DSC01047.JPG
DSC01051.JPG
DSC01053.JPG

So we caught a bus to MK and then hopped on the monorail to the Contemporary. I know we would have saved time walking, but we were already feeling lazy!
We were given sparkling wine with blueberry Boba Balls upon arrival and led to our table.
DSC01058.JPG

Our server John was excellent. First he explained all about the self serve items and then told us to let him know about 15 minutes before we wanted our entrees. My first plate:
DSC01059.JPG

Everything was delectable, especially the salad with avocado and egg. :hungry: I did not photograph my second plate, but I had some sushi. Some of the spectacular views.
DSC01065.JPG
DSC01066.JPG
DSC01068.JPG

Got the monorail shot!
John kept the "mimosas" coming and E says he kept count. I won't tell you the number because I don't want you to judge, but it was considerable! We also had a press pot of coffee. Our entrees:
DSC01069.JPG
DSC01070.JPG

I had the lobster omelette and E had the chicken thigh. We both enjoyed our entree, but honestly a meal could be made out of everything else and we were already pretty full (and tipsy) by the time the entrees came. But not too full to taste the desserts! Oops, dessert pic will be in the next post as I've reached my photo limit!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
We really were too full to do anything more than taste the desserts. They offer to box them up for you, but we were headed to MK and didn't want to carry them around.
DSC01072.JPG

It really was the perfect way to kick off the trip and we will definitely do it again. I didn't think to take a photo, but there was live music and E requested Tuppence (I think it's really called Feed the Birds) from Mary Poppins and they played it for him!
As I've said, we will definitely do this again. However, we will make the rest of the day a pool day. I discovered on this trip that day drinking is quite fun whilst you're doing it, but not so much fun later! :facepalm:
One quick photo on the way out and we were on our way to MK!
DSC01075.JPG

I'm pretty sure you can see the all you care to enjoy mimosas in the looks on our faces! ;)

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
6/17 continued...
Our first FP was for PoTC at 1:00, so we headed straight for Adventureland.
DSC01080.JPG

In my too many mimosas haze, I don't really remember much about the ride other than they squished us in a row with two other people. I don't seem to have the ride photo so I can't say for sure. It was my first time seeing the new redhead scene and I didn't hate it. Snapped this in the store on the way out.
DSC01084.JPG

We headed over to HM for our next FP.
DSC01086.JPG

It was a great ride through as usual. We always try to hang back and be the last ones out of the stretching room to avoid the cattle herd. They had the timing of the two stretching rooms just right so that we had plenty of time before the other room let out. There was a photopass photographer there on our way in, but he had mysteriously disappeared by the time we got out! Oddly enough, this would happen again later in the trip. :confused:
We had a little time to kill before our 7D FP, so we stopped into:
DSC01094.JPG
DSC01095.JPG

Always a favorite!
We must have had more time to kill because according to my pictures, we had a Mad Tea Party, and then stopped in to listen to Sonny Eclipse for a few minutes.
DSC01096.JPG
DSC01097.JPG

Yes, we were the people taking up a table and not eating! In our defense, it wasn't that crowded and there were plenty of open tables or we wouldn't have sat down.
On to 7D. We don't love this ride and this would be the only time we experienced it on this trip. Back row!
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8240888698.jpeg

After this ride, we made our way to BLT to see if our room might be ready. It was! We were kind of holding our breath to see what the room assignment would be. I had faxed a room request 2 weeks prior to our arrival. I asked for an odd numbered room, overlooking the pool, as high up as possible. I'm not usually so demanding, but last year we overlooked the marina and asked to be moved. I went into it this year with the realization that I might not get what I requested, but it couldn't hurt to try. Either way, we would stick with the room we were assigned. Luck was on our side...here are a couple of shots of our view.
DSC01192.JPG
DSC01193.JPG

We ended up on the 15th floor with amazing views!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
In for the ride! For many years I stayed at POP and enjoyed it, then got spoiled a bit by the deluxes, but still have the view that POP is a very nice resort, and I love their food court and bus. It'll probably be where I stay next with my little brother. DH and I though, have come to enjoy the deluxes- BLT was so convenient to my favorite park!!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
In for the ride! For many years I stayed at POP and enjoyed it, then got spoiled a bit by the deluxes, but still have the view that POP is a very nice resort, and I love their food court and bus. It'll probably be where I stay next with my little brother. DH and I though, have come to enjoy the deluxes- BLT was so convenient to my favorite park!!
I kind of wished we would have had more time to explore and that we weren't so tired upon arrival!
Following along!
Glad you're here!

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
Originally we had Brunch at the Top reserved for June 24th, but when we added our bonus day we moved it up a week. It made sense at the time because we were right there at BLT and the next week we would be at Boardwalk. The problem was that we had dinner at Cali Grill already reserved for that night. I didn't think I'd be able to move it and I really didn't want to go moving all my other ADRs around, so we just stuck with it. Bad idea...we still weren't super hungry and we were still a bit :hungover: from brunch. On top of that, we didn't get a very good table and our server was meh. The food was good though. I had two appetizers instead of an entree.
DSC01107.JPG
DSC01108.JPG
E had the filet.
DSC01109.JPG

We didn't stay for the fireworks. Instead we opted to go to Top of the World Lounge to watch them. Since we hadn't had dessert after dinner, we enjoyed the 7 layer cake in the lounge. Our server let us know how tasty the leftovers would be with a cup of coffee in the morning. Yeah...there were no leftovers! :hilarious: I didn't take any photos of HEA. I just wanted to enjoy it.
We love the lounge and appreciate having access to it. We REALLY appreciated the one flight of stairs down to our room and into bed!
On the agenda for tomorrow: Hollywood Studios without TSMM :(

DisSplash

Brunch at Cali Grille sounds amazing! And somewhat similar to the fabulous brunch we had at Palo onboard the Fantasy. I am all about "starters" that can be meals in themselves, followed up with some fantastic plate of entrée deliciousness! You had me at eggs and avocado salad ... and that lobster omelet. Oh yum! That looks sooooo good!

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Originally we had Brunch at the Top reserved for June 24th, but when we added our bonus day we moved it up a week. It made sense at the time because we were right there at BLT and the next week we would be at Boardwalk. The problem was that we had dinner at Cali Grill already reserved for that night. I didn't think I'd be able to move it and I really didn't want to go moving all my other ADRs around, so we just stuck with it. Bad idea...we still weren't super hungry and we were still a bit :hungover: from brunch. On top of that, we didn't get a very good table and our server was meh. The food was good though. I had two appetizers instead of an entree.View attachment 294761View attachment 294762E had the filet.
View attachment 294763
We didn't stay for the fireworks. Instead we opted to go to Top of the World Lounge to watch them. Since we hadn't had dessert after dinner, we enjoyed the 7 layer cake in the lounge. Our server let us know how tasty the leftovers would be with a cup of coffee in the morning. Yeah...there were no leftovers! :hilarious: I didn't take any photos of HEA. I just wanted to enjoy it.
We love the lounge and appreciate having access to it. We REALLY appreciated the one flight of stairs down to our room and into bed!
On the agenda for tomorrow: Hollywood Studios without TSMM :(

I have been to the Top of the World Lounge twice. Once during the late afternoon and once for fireworks at night. I greatly enjoyed both visits and can't wait for the next one!!! I haven't had the pleasure of being able to walk back to my room from there. Maybe someday.

PineapplePrincess

Original Poster
I'm in, this trip sounds awesome!!
Yay! It was awesome, I still can't believe it's over!
Your food pics are "out of sight"!

Worried about your Studios day. :oops:
Not to worry...we still had fun!
Brunch at Cali Grille sounds amazing! And somewhat similar to the fabulous brunch we had at Palo onboard the Fantasy. I am all about "starters" that can be meals in themselves, followed up with some fantastic plate of entrée deliciousness! You had me at eggs and avocado salad ... and that lobster omelet. Oh yum! That looks sooooo good!
It was amazing! I highly recommend it to everyone.
I have been to the Top of the World Lounge twice. Once during the late afternoon and once for fireworks at night. I greatly enjoyed both visits and can't wait for the next one!!! I haven't had the pleasure of being able to walk back to my room from there. Maybe someday.
We absolutely love staying at BLT! Points wise, it's not a bad deal at all.

EdnaMode

We had Brunch at the Top on Father's Day as well. If I could have, I would have grabbed the entire bowl of both green salads to back to bring my plate and wiped them both out. I have been there for brunch now 4 times and those salads are the BEST!

I'm going to remember the idea of staying at Pop one night when we have a late arrival. The last two times we've been, our flight has been sooo delayed -- we could have stayed somewhere inexpensive and moved resorts while we were eating brunch. :)

I have always had the sense that there could be early (EARLY) boat noise over the marina at BLT. Is that the case?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom