Is your child scared of rides? Read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
I really take offense at this post. My son is a very well adjusted 19 year old, an Honors College sophomore at a prestigous college, quite independent for his age, who just happens to not enjoy the feeling of dropping on ToT. He has traveled extensively both in the USA and abroad, is very talented musically, has a vast network of friends, and has a kind and compassionate heart.
Has he missed out on an important life experience? I don't think so!

Thankyou! You just described my 22 year old daughter, as well. She seems perfectly able to decide what "enjoyable" is in her life as well.

:shrug:

Brioli

Original Poster
It is posts like this that mke me think that you are analyzing people..

Maybe he does not want to conquer his fear..I have said this already I do not wnt to conquer my fear of birds..and thats that.

You sould like you are trying to be a therapist for everyone and their childs fears.

I will not even comment about the school fear because that has nothing to do with what we are talking about..She has to go to school..she does not have to like rides or like birds or like scary movies and I willnot make her do or watch them if she tells me she is scared of them.

That does not mean I am holding her back or that she will be an adult that is confused or anything.

:brick:

You know I have said countless times you must do what you feel is best and right for your child. Why do you feel so threatened by my thread?

You act as if you are feeling bad about something and you sound angry as well?

and yes it is very much like making a child go to school.

If I want to analyze people then that is my prerogative...and for the record..I am pretty damn good at it.

This topic is becoming too negative when I meant for it to be positive thing.

No one is forcing you to do anything maggiegrace, so please don't treat me as if I am.

What I'm saying is true, and I'm sorry if you are offended by it.

SeaBreeze

I really take offense at this post. My son is a very well adjusted 19 year old, an Honors College sophomore at a prestigous college, quite independent for his age, who just happens to not enjoy the feeling of dropping on ToT. He has traveled extensively both in the USA and abroad, is very talented musically, has a vast network of friends, and has a kind and compassionate heart.
Has he missed out on an important life experience? I don't think so!

I'm 24 and don't have kids but as someone who was scared of ToT and forced on it a few years ago... don't feel bad. I came off it shaking like a leaf and have no plans to go back on it lol. The only reason I'm kind of glad I went on it is now people stop pressuring me to do it because I did and I hated it. Some things get to some people, some don't.

Meanwhile, climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge? Cake :animwink:

Brioli

Original Poster
I've decided that I have fallen into a pot of mostly over protectors....and I suppose I'm not really all that surprised I'm being ganged up on by them.

I knew I would probably get some negative feedback.

My mother was that way...

so unfortunately I had to learn everything the hard way. I am thankful my kids are learning while young, and are doing much better then I did already.

Believe it or not...everything that I stated you can find on the internet. Please educate yourself before drawing conclusions that I am wrong (Please read my posts that follow the original one, especially the one I copied and pasted, my original post is not clear enough)

Brioli

Original Poster
I'm 24 and don't have kids but as someone who was scared of ToT and forced on it a few years ago... don't feel bad. I came off it shaking like a leaf and have no plans to go back on it lol. The only reason I'm kind of glad I went on it is now people stop pressuring me to do it because I did and I hated it. Some things get to some people, some don't.

Meanwhile, climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge? Cake :animwink:

lol...Well, that's why it's important to start young...I can understand being terrified as an adult.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If I want to analyze people then that is my prerogative...and for the record..I am pretty damn good at it.

Wrong on both counts. But that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Brioli

Original Poster
It is posts like this that mke me think that you are analyzing people..

Maybe he does not want to conquer his fear..I have said this already I do not wnt to conquer my fear of birds..and thats that.

You sould like you are trying to be a therapist for everyone and their childs fears.

I will not even comment about the school fear because that has nothing to do with what we are talking about..She has to go to school..she does not have to like rides or like birds or like scary movies and I willnot make her do or watch them if she tells me she is scared of them.

That does not mean I am holding her back or that she will be an adult that is confused or anything.

:brick:

You know I just have to say this...

Maybe if your parents had helped you overcome your fear of birds while you were small..you wouldn't still be so terrified of them and could enjoy their beauty and their grace.

It's much more difficult once we reach adulthood to overcome anything...

Just like that OP's fear of that one ride, and rode as an adult to get people off of her back

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
I've decided that I have fallen into a pot of mostly over protectors....and I suppose I'm not really all that surprised I'm being ganged up on by them.

so unfortunately I had to learn everything the hard way. I am thankful my kids are learning while young, and are doing much better then I did already.

Believe it or not...everything that I stated you can find on the internet. Please educate yourself before drawing conclusions that I am wrong (Please read my posts that follow the original one, especially the one I copied and pasted, my original post is not clear enough)

Ah yes, that explains it.

:ROFLOL:

SeaBreeze

lol...Well, that's why it's important to start young...I can understand being terrified as an adult.

Meh I'm an engineer so there's nothing about ToT the ride itself that scares me, I've just always hated that falling feeling, especially when it's really intense. I personally don't think having kids try rides at least once is bad, except when it comes to intense high energy rides like RnR, ToT, EE and M:S.

figmentisgreat

I do not think that somebody with no counseling/psychological degree should be offering advice like this in the first place. Just because something works with your child does not mean that it will work on everyone else's children. Maybe you just got very lucky that you did not traumatize your child. Additionally, I am a person that has panic attacks, and actually had one in line for RnRC because I was so terrified of the ride. Had I been forced to go on the ride, I could have experienced worse symptoms and gotten seriously ill. What you are interpreting as screaming and yelling might be your child having a panic attack, and being unable to describe the symptoms that they were feeling.

TwoTigersMom

No one is ganging up on you. We are all just expressing our opinion just as you expressed yours. The only difference is that while the rest of us seem to know that our opinion is just that... an opinion, you are trying to push yours off as fact. Your opinion is NOT fact. No one's is. Maybe it is you, who actually did too much searching on the internet. The internet is not all about fact.

There is a flip side to this coin you have placed out here. What if your child has NO fear? Some fear is actually a good thing. I have a child who seems to have NO fear. Two years ago, because of this, he was bitten by a Copperhead snake. My child could have died, simply because he was NOT afraid. On a side note to this... want to know who I called to calm me down and help me think through this horrific situation? MontyMon! Of course, I had already called my husband and parents to meet me at the ER, but I was not in panic mode at that time. Some fear is a good thing. Having no fear can be very dangerous.

Brioli

Original Poster
I do not think that somebody with no counseling/psychological degree should be offering advice like this in the first place. Just because something works with your child does not mean that it will work on everyone else's children. Maybe you just got very lucky that you did not traumatize your child. Additionally, I am a person that has panic attacks, and actually had one in line for RnRC because I was so terrified of the ride. Had I been forced to go on the ride, I could have experienced worse symptoms and gotten seriously ill. What you are interpreting as screaming and yelling might be your child having a panic attack, and being unable to describe the symptoms that they were feeling.

I'm lost...?? I happen to know what a panic attack is...also...Please read so you know where my sources came from...they were not from me.

I happened to have read up on this...alot...and from a lead doc.

Brioli

Original Poster
No one is ganging up on you. We are all just expressing our opinion just as you expressed yours. The only difference is that while the rest of us seem to know that our opinion is just that... an opinion, you are trying to push yours off as fact. Your opinion is NOT fact. No one's is. Maybe it is you, who actually did too much searching on the internet. The internet is not all about fact.

There is a flip side to this coin you have placed out here. What if your child has NO fear? Some fear is actually a good thing. I have a child who seems to have NO fear. Two years ago, because of this, he was bitten by a Copperhead snake. My child could have died, simply because he was NOT afraid. On a side note to this... want to know who I called to calm me down and help me think through this horrific situation? MontyMon! Of course, I had already called my husband and parents to meet me at the ER, but I was not in panic mode at that time. Some fear is a good thing. Having no fear can be very dangerous.

No where did I ever state...that all fear was bad...IRRATIONAL FEAR...That is the TOPIC.

Brioli

Original Poster

Children are extremely resilient for the record, and I would NEVER traumatize my children. If you had read all of my original post, plus the others, you would know this. You are basing your opinion from an adult's perspective, not from a child's.

Brioli

Original Poster

As for this being strictly my opinion, it is not. I am fully capable of determining whether my information is from creditable resources or not (on the net that is). Just because I do not have a degree in this area does not mean I am not educated.

My information originally came from a psychologist who is a friend of our family, when I was dealing with my son's fear of sleeping alone.

We are very close, and he taught me that this is in fact correct...so not just MY opinion.

Secondly, I only mentioned the internet so that those that question it can look it up for themselves. I never said that was MY resource.

Ok...time to go to the park with the kids....check in later with everyone.

Brioli

Original Poster
Hey,

Does my topic have the "popular thread" little icon thingie yet?

Sorry...LOL!

jeffk410

Uh oh more fighting on the site. But i too am with most peoples posts and disagree with the OP but she was just trying to help. Everyone has different techniques with how to raise their kid and each kid is different. Please just no more fighting! lol And i do think there is sometimes people over analyze situations =D.

brent2124

Nope it has a new icon. The icon is to identify threads started by slightly crazy people with big egos.:shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You know I have said countless times you must do what you feel is best and right for your child. Why do you feel so threatened by my thread?

You act as if you are feeling bad about something and you sound angry as well?

and yes it is very much like making a child go to school.

This topic is becoming too negative when I meant for it to be positive thing.

No one is forcing you to do anything maggiegrace, so please don't treat me as if I am.

In your opinion.
I've yet to see any proof of your assertions.

The internet is NOT the place to become educated. Perhaps that's how many people get filled with misinformation.
I'm lost...?? I happen to know what a panic attack is...also...Please read so you know where my sources came from...they were not from me.

I happened to have read up on this...alot...and from a lead doc.
Reading up on something does not make one educated on the subject, especially from only one source.
As for this being strictly my opinion, it is not. I am fully capable of determining whether my information is from creditable resources or not (on the net that is). Just because I do not have a degree in this area does not mean I am not educated.

My information originally came from a psychologist who is a friend of our family, when I was dealing with my son's fear of sleeping alone.

We are very close, and he taught me that this is in fact correct...so not just MY opinion.

Secondly, I only mentioned the internet so that those that question it can look it up for themselves. I never said that was MY resource.

It means that you are not educated on the subject that you are talking about.

TwoTigersMom

No where did I ever state...that all fear was bad...IRRATIONAL FEAR...That is the TOPIC.

Whether a fear is irrational or not is an opinion. In Dana's case, a what you make think of as an irrational fear of birds, might indeed be a legitimate rational fear. Some people are afraid of birds flying around too close and becoming entangled in their hair. It could happen. A fear of falling is rational as well. The sensation of falling gives many people a horrible feeling. I get extremely nervous walking or riding my horse across bridges. It scares me, plain and simple. I see nothing irrational about my fear, bridges have been known to collapse and horses can develop an overpowering fear of anything at any time. Like Dana with the birds, when crossing most bridges my heart rate increases and gives me a very uneasy feeling.

I do not doubt you are educated. You seem to be an intelligent person. Which is why I'm surprised that you are, indeed, expressing an opinion as fact. You have stated your opinion as being "right" (fact) over and over as well as the opinion of your psychologist. What your psychologist says is not fact either, just their opinion. It's their interpretation of the facts. If you have 3 psychologists (this can go with most professions) in the same room, the only thing they would agree on is that the 4 one walking in is an idiot. Had you proposed your theory to another psychologist, you may have had a very differing opinion than that of your friend.

Have fun at the park :wave: It's a rainy day here, so we're spending it inside cleaning up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom