Is Tokyo's new Space Mountain a sign of reimagining for DL?

Phroobar

I'd like to see an inline rail version of Space Mountain. Imagine how scary this coaster would be inside in the dark.
RailBlazer2.jpg

D.Silentu

When you have a launch instead of a lift hill, the ride time tends to be shorter.
Indeed. My intent was to contrast the immense area that the Tron coaster takes up while provividing a brief experience for riders, all in a land that has only so much available space.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Tron rethemed to a speeder ride would be a nice addition to galaxies edge.

I’d love tomorrowland to go full 50s/60s googie style futurism. I think a fun jetsons style design would be fun and date as well as the more steampunk style areas have now we are further from that era than we were in the 90s

mickEblu

Tron rethemed to a speeder ride would be a nice addition to galaxies edge.

I’d love tomorrowland to go full 50s/60s googie style futurism. I think a fun jetsons style design would be fun and date as well as the more steampunk style areas have now we are further from that era than we were in the 90s

It would be cool but the next 3 new attractions built at DLR have to go to DCA

TheDisneyParksfanC8

This might be why we are hearing of a TomorrowLand revamp being announced at D23. It should not be that hard to clone parts of Tokyos new space mountain over to DL park. How if only they will address Hollywood Land at DCA. That needs a lot more TLC that TL by a long shot. Who knows maybe that will be some mention of a HL revamp but I am not holding my breath.

PiratesMansion

Disneyland's Space Mountain was rebuilt in 2005.

That should mean that the current ride has plenty of life in it from a mechanical perspective.

Disney does not want to close down a ride for an extended period of time, especially one as popular as Space Mountain, unless they absolutely have to. They don't. They already know that if they want/need to juice the numbers they can just throw in Hyperspace for a few months for much less downtime and money.

All of this means that DL will NOT give their Space the Tokyo treatment unless they are very, very stupid (admittedly, this is always a possibility).

Sorry, I just cannot with the "hurr durr maybe DL will rebuild their Space for no reason because Tokyo hurr durr" takes.

Dear Prudence

That should mean that the current ride has plenty of life in it from a mechanical perspective.

Disney does not want to close down a ride for an extended period of time, especially one as popular as Space Mountain, unless they absolutely have to. They don't. They already know that if they want/need to juice the numbers they can just throw in Hyperspace for a few months for much less downtime and money.

All of this means that DL will NOT give their Space the Tokyo treatment unless they are very, very stupid (admittedly, this is always a possibility).

Sorry, I just cannot with the "hurr durr maybe DL will rebuild their Space for no reason because Tokyo hurr durr" takes.
If DLR rebuilt theirs in 2005,, that means the TDL one is the original

mickEblu

I feel like you are conflating a few things. I haven’t seen anyone say they think of even want our Space Mountain rebuilt. It’s certainly possible that a reskin is announced for TL at DL especially since we have concept art from a few years ago. That doesn’t mean Space Mountain is rebuilt. Even if they mess with the exterior. At this point they may wait to finish the entrance right before or after D23 to coincide with the announcement.

As fun as it is to speculate I don’t want an announcement for TL as long as Chapek is there. Outside of giving us some entertainment for a few days there really isn’t a lot of upside of getting an announcement right now.

PiratesMansion

I feel like you are conflating a few things. I haven’t seen anyone say they think of even want our Space Mountain rebuilt. It’s certainly possible that a reskin is announced for TL at DL especially since we have concept art from a few years ago. That doesn’t mean Space Mountain is rebuilt. Even if they mess with the exterior. At this point they may wait to finish the entrance right before or after D23 to coincide with the announcement.

As fun as it is to speculate I don’t want an announcement for TL as long as Chapek is there. Outside of giving us some entertainment for a few days there really isn’t a lot of upside of getting an announcement right now.
Perhaps I am misreading but I feel like I'm seeing an awful lot of "well this is what Tokyo is doing so could we do the same thing?"

And to me it doesn't make any logical sense, yet I feel like I'm still seeing people saying that as if it's a realistic possibility, or that they can will it into existence if they shout about it enough.

Definitely agree that the time for a Tomorrowland rebuild/redo is NOT right now.

mickEblu

Perhaps I am misreading but I feel like I'm seeing an awful lot of "well this is what Tokyo is doing so could we do the same thing?"

And to me it doesn't make any logical sense, yet I feel like I'm still seeing people saying that as if it's a realistic possibility, or that they can will it into existence if they shout about it enough.

Definitely agree that the time for a Tomorrowland rebuild/redo is NOT right now.

Well I’ll admit after the Tokyo news I immediately framed it as “Would Disney give further details on the Tokyo plans at D23 in Anaheim across the street from our rusty Tomorrowland especially AFTER getting that concept art for the entrance with no action?” When you think about it that way it just seems that something can/ should/will be announced. Not sure how extensive it would be but in no scenario would I see Space Mountain being rebuilt from the ground up.

VJ

when disney stops paying for their own attractions and gets someone to foot the bill, MAYBE the american parks will see tokyo-level quality

until then... we're stuck with expensive yet cheaply built attractions

you can dream and "imagineer" all you want about how great tokyo is and how great it'd be to have tokyo-level quality in the american parks but american standards are lower than dirt, and japanese standards are astronomical. it's a culture thing.

Vegas Disney Fan

I don't follow, are you implying that Tron in Anaheim is a strong possibility?
I think the original rumor was a Tron ride rethemed to Captain America in Avengers Campus. That was then replaced with a Flight of Passage style ride. Not sure if there’s any rumors about Tron in DL since then.

PiratesMansion

when disney stops paying for their own attractions and gets someone to foot the bill, MAYBE the american parks will see tokyo-level quality

until then... we're stuck with expensive yet cheaply built attractions

you can dream and "imagineer" all you want about how great tokyo is and how great it'd be to have tokyo-level quality in the american parks but american standards are lower than dirt, and japanese standards are astronomical. it's a culture thing.
Oh we're never getting Tokyo level, that much is clear.

As much as some people like to complain about this or that cultural difference, some of which are legitimate, TDR remains and will remain the gold standard and I don't see that changing in my lifetime.

SuddenStorm

Space Mountain is one of those attractions that just works. And it directly correlates to guest satisfaction... on days when it's closed guest survey scores noticeably drop.

Disney doesn't know how to build experiential experiences like it anymore, now that WDI is so focused on linear storytelling. This is prevalent in the Hyperspace iteration, that takes a purely experiential 'space ride' and turns it into a linear story about shooting down a Star Destroyer.

The lift tunnel could be marginally improved, as could the queue if we really wanted to change something about it... but there are so many other areas inside Disneyland that need investment before touching Space Mountain.

mickEblu

Space Mountain is one of those attractions that just works. And it directly correlates to guest satisfaction... on days when it's closed guest survey scores noticeably drop.

Disney doesn't know how to build experiential experiences like it anymore, now that WDI is so focused on linear storytelling. This is prevalent in the Hyperspace iteration, that takes a purely experiential 'space ride' and turns it into a linear story about shooting down a Star Destroyer.

The lift tunnel could be marginally improved, as could the queue if we really wanted to change something about it... but there are so many other areas inside Disneyland that need investment before touching Space Mountain.

Agree with the sentiment. I don’t think Hyperspace is really telling a linear story though. We re just thrown into a battle with no real story or backstory. It’s basically An experiential Star Wars version of Space Mountain. It’s probably the most non story experiential Star Wars ride we’ll ever see. Any new build as we ve seen will be “storied” to death.

SuddenStorm

Agree with the sentiment. I don’t think Hyperspace is really telling a linear story though. We re just thrown into a battle with no real story or backstory. It’s basically An experiential Star Wars version of Space Mountain. It’s probably the most non story experiential Star Wars ride we’ll ever see. Any new build as we ve seen will be “storied” to death.

With Hyperspace, I've always thought of it as
Beginning- all the 'red one reporting in' stuff on the lift hill
Rising Action: all the tie fighters, the pilots talking about how they're hit and stuff
Climax: Shooting the star destroyer
Falling action/Finale- the end tunnel.

This isn't a perfect explanation (it's been like 2.5 years since I've ridden Hyperspace) but the more I rode it the more frustrated I got since it felt like each projection was taking me from point A to B with the pilots trying to narrate. It'd be much stronger if it was just Star Wars projections with Star Wars music, no chatter needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom