Is Tokyo's new Space Mountain a sign of reimagining for DL?

Twirlnhurl

I wonder why they got rid of the glowing rockets? At least Disney World's Space Mountain is still cool and has character to it (and glowing rockets).
The glowing rockets in Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom had the glow strips removed in the 2009 renovation. Apparently they were removed because the view of the ride from the queue was eliminated and to make the main ride darker.

PiratesMansion

The glow strips can't possibly have THAT much of an effect on the darkness of the attraction.

It would at least give the Peoplemover rockets something to look at as opposed to the nothing they have now.

I get the impulse to darken the mountain, but despite their efforts it still feels like there's more light pollution than DL's. I don't remember being able to notice the ride from the queue as a kid, but it was so cool to be able to look down at the loading station from the Peoplemover and then watch the rockets zoom around the void that is Space Mountain! It was a highlight of the ride.

But I'm sure someone at Disney has written an elaborate justification somewhere for why looking at nothing is better.

D.Silentu

Can you remind me of what visuals we had on the pre 2005 Space Mountain? I definitely remember the queue being cooler with the see through windows and more of those cool other worldly ambient sounds that I rarely ever hear anymore because I only ride Space Mountain with FP
As best as I can recall, when the rocket leaves the loading station and turns right, there were large red arrows flashing in sequence pointing the way to go. Where the blue lighted tunnel is now there were streaks of light that zipping through the darkness. On the main lift hill there was a bright light at the top that created beams of light that rotated around you, creating the impression of a tunnel of light.

In the dome itself, before you sped up, you passed this large satellite that had a funky orange globe:

1651347492312.png

Inside the dome the stars felt more like lights from a disco ball in my memory. There were other projections as well; comets, asteroids, and if you were lucky the spacecraft from the loading area. Not the most realistic images, we called one of the asteroids the "flying cookie," and it was a bragging right to be the first to spot it! Between the glowing satellite and the projectors there was a faint ambient light throughout and you could see other riders zooming by thanks to glow in the dark striping on the ride vehicles. For the ending tunnel, a grid of orange light constantly streaked toward you as you decelerated.

Especially by the late nineties it all looked pretty dated, but at least it was a signature look. What returned from the 2005 refurbishment subtracted a lot. It's worth noting that they promised more than they gave back: visuals inspired by deep space photography and an alternate night mode that was used for a handful of events before being forgotten. However, I hope my recollections will have jogged your memory.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

One thing that the Disneyland space mountain building needs done is the removal of the magic eye theater below.

They really should open it up like it used to be. Put the stage there again, with tables and an eatery.move the entrance of space mountain over to the north side and have the queue start Inside the old arcade.

Tear down that large space consuming ramp they built on south side and remove as much of the building as they can along with the huge old America sings building.

That alone would open up a huge piece of real estate. The area where the pizza port or whatever it’s called now could be built out so that the first floor contained part of a queue for a large ride built on the real estate wasted by the Star Wars/America sings building.
The second floor area of the pizza planet could be designed so there was a platform for the rocket spinner

The perfect place to have a family ride for those guests waiting for people that are riding space mountain

PiratesMansion

One thing that the Disneyland space mountain building needs done is the removal of the magic eye theater below.

They really should open it up like it used to be. Put the stage there again, with tables and an eatery.move the entrance of space mountain over to the north side and have the queue start Inside the old arcade.

Tear down that large space consuming ramp they built on south side and remove as much of the building as they can along with the huge old America sings building.

That alone would open up a huge piece of real estate. The area where the pizza port or whatever it’s called now could be built out so that the first floor contained part of a queue for a large ride built on the real estate wasted by the Star Wars/America sings building.
The second floor area of the pizza planet could be designed so there was a platform for the rocket spinner

The perfect place to have a family ride for those guests waiting for people that are riding space mountain
THAT SAID, if they're going to continue this Disney movie preview thing (clearly an inevitability), that's the least damaging place to host those movie previews IMO.

BrianLo

The other thing to consider is that Tokyo's Space Mt is currently a clone of DL's. This may indicate that whatever is developed for Tokyo would fit in scope and size if not in style at Anaheim.

This seems more likely to me than some "cram Tron into the sub lagoon" type of plan.

I believe they will be utilizing some of the parking lot at Tokyo to expand the scale, part of which is also set for more Tomorrowland expansion. Plus taking out some adjacent buildings. The entire thing is being moved and rebuilt, not just an overlay. I don't think it would fit in DL without knocking other things out.

mickEblu

I believe something will be announced for Tomorrowland at DL at D23. As soon as Tokyos plans were announced the chances shot through the roof. Just reading the tea leaves but It’s just hard for me to imagine them talking about a new TL for Tokyo across the street from Disneylands rotting TL without also mentioning something for here. Now if it actually ends up happening in the near future is another story.

If they do move forward so they the invest the resources required to do it right? I would hope so as it hadn’t received any “love” since 98.

mickEblu

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. We've been predicting an announcement of a Tomorrowland redo at D23 for as long as I've been on this board. Eventually we will be right.

You always have some people saying it’s coming and some people saying it’s still a few years out. This year I think most people feel that an announcement is not coming for various reasons. What’s your vote? I’m writing it down

Dear Prudence

Thinking about it, I don't think I have ever waited in the DLR Space Mountain line properly, I've always just done single rider. I don't even think I know where the real entrance is.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You always have some people saying it’s coming and some people saying it’s still a few years out. This year I think most people feel that an announcement is not coming for various reasons. What’s your vote? I’m writing it down
I think they are ready to pull the trigger. I just hope its more ambitious than just a new coat of paint with a whole land redo.

Phroobar

I don't see the stars being any different from what they always been. So my guess is there will be no announcement. Besides they just refurbished the sub lagoon and they are putting rich people in seats on the Innoventions building to watch fireworks. I think they think it doesn't need a refresh. They can't even bother to finish the front entrance.

mickEblu

I don't see the stars being any different from what they always been. So my guess is there will be no announcement. Besides they just refurbished the sub lagoon and they are putting rich people in seats on the Innoventions building to watch fireworks. I think they think it doesn't need a refresh. They can't even bother to finish the front entrance.

Can’t really argue with your reasoning. I’m thinking an announcement is coming but it might be lacking major details meaning it’s probably a few years out from any ground breaking.

Phroobar

I think we will see the Eastern Gateway parking structure long before Tomorrowland gets any love. I think the place needs more than $600 million over three years. Heck, they probably spent that on ToonTown and the NOS flattening.

mickEblu

I think they are ready to pull the trigger. I just hope its more ambitious than just a new coat of paint with a whole land redo.

Same here. I just hope they take their time and put the resources into it. I’d rather not get an announcement if they are rushing a cheap reskin.

mickEblu

I think we will see the Eastern Gateway parking structure long before Tomorrowland gets any love. I think the place needs more than $600 million over three years. Heck, they probably spent that on ToonTown and the NOS flattening.

600 million? That sounds like one new ride and Pixar Esque reskin.

el_super

If they do move forward so they the invest the resources required to do it right? I would hope so as it hadn’t received any “love” since 98.

What would be considered the right way to do it?

Replace Buzz Light-year? Star Tours? Space Mountain? Maybe the subs and monorail finally get replaced.

Most of the individual parts of Tomorrowland are popular enough that replacing them does t really net them much gain.

mickEblu

Exactly. They can't do anything significant to Tomorrowland without at least a billion. That is why I call BS.

Also if you dig into that site's history, they seem to repost that story over and over the years.

Yeah I read it and it seems like they just reposted an old story from a few years ago with no new information or update. Clickbait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom