Is This Rumor Credible (This Time)?

Gregoryp73

It's my assumption and presented as such, your assumption is that I stated it as a fact. There are no "facts" to be presented unless you have access to financial numbers that the public does not.

At no point did I say or do I deny that DVC is a cash cow and OBVIOUSLY brings in more money than the associated cost. Hence the fact that they are building them as fast as they can.

Right...so people are purchasing DVC memberships at the WDW based resorts so they can do what, go to the Prime Outlets on I-4? Look at the downturn in quality at the Parks during the years that DVC has existed. Overall maintenance, show quality, food and beverage quality are all down from where they were in the mid 90's prior to DVC's existence. So excuse me for questioning if the income from DVC is being used to mainly feed itself and not to actually improve the entire reason why DVC exists in the first place. If the Parks looked as good today as they did 15 years ago then I would totally agree with you that as much money as possible should go towards building more Resorts.

I'm not bashing DVC. I think that it is a good idea from a business perspective for Disney, at least in the short term. I just hate to see the ever increasing focus on it at the expense of the Parks themselves.

I think this is a co-incidence...it's about the same time frame that they started building parks outside of the U.S.

I wouldn't think that the cruise line or the media division really throws money at the parks either...

fngoofy

Not rumor (sadly).

Fact.

What was the last bastion of peace, quiet and the Vacation Kingdom of the World will become overrun with cars, buses, mulch where original pre-WDW trees stood and timeshares.

Yeah. MAGICal!

This 'news' was first spilled on another disney place by myself and the MIA Disney gadfly Lee MacDonald over a year ago.

Also, this is Disney/Iger's pedal to the floor plan to develop every inch of property as quickly as they can (for tax purposes, quick bottom line improvements and the possibility of attracting outside investment).

It is one of five (is it six if you include the EPCOT units that want to build desperately ... because EPCOT doesn't need attractions, it needs more bars and timeshares so no one has to drive home!) active DVC plans for WDW at this time.

Oh, ask yourself what solid (or even liquid) plans they have for any parks at WDW when you remove Fantasyland and the very tenuous Avatarland project from the list ... the answer would be none beyond NEXT GEN 'enhancements'.

It's not a national park, its a resort. There are 50 sq miles and if they started now and never stopped it would take 400 years to fill.

Profit and bottom line are what pay for WDW and are the reason it exists at all. You don't see not-for-profits doing many resorts do you?

Sounds like you need to visit yellowstone instead of WDW for your next vacation, justsayinsall.

LoehnWolf

Ok so what you are saying is that Disney started with the resorts first then added the parks?? Its the parks people come to see not the resorts.. I barely spend time in ours when we go so I think spending money in the parks to get me coming back really isnt much to ask for instead of more high end resorts I couldnt afford to stay at anyway. How many DVC resorts do they NEED? If the parks go to pot then guess what?? No one will be filling the resorts no matter how many there are.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
It's not a national park, its a resort. There are 50 sq miles and if they started now and never stopped it would take 400 years to fill.

Profit and bottom line are what pay for WDW and are the reason it exists at all. You don't see not-for-profits doing many resorts do you?

Sounds like you need to visit yellowstone instead of WDW for your next vacation, justsayinsall.

Okay, now this is funny :)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Wrong. Just wrong.

Okay, now this is funny :)

Quite.

invader

Ahem. Disney Parks®. The whole DVC idea is a bittersweet for Disney as a whole. Sure, it drives in profit but at the expense of valuable land area. The area is finite, and it sure as hell isn't easy to get to be able to use. They should wait a while after GF DVC to drive demand even higher than the point it's already at. Demand goes up, so does price.

~ May not be national parks, but they're parks! ~
FD.

rioriz

major LOL's

So this may be common sense but doesn't demand usually drive the market? So taking that Disney is a business why would they build more resorts if they did not have sound evidence that they would be used/needed?

aladdin2007

Originally the second ring of countries was actually going to be around Crescent Lake at one point, instead of Boardwalk, Beach Club etc etc etc.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Didn't the original plan call for two rings of World Showcase pavilions? Instead of the second ring of pavilions we get themed DVC.

I don't believe it called for two rings (if by such you mean an "inner" ring around the lagoon, encompassed by an "outer" ring surrounding those)......:shrug:

NoChesterHester

I don't believe it called for two rings (if by such you mean an "inner" ring around the lagoon, encompassed by an "outer" ring surrounding those)......:shrug:

You were right. Merf straightened me out.

There were some early plans for a second lagoon. Didn't make it far.

Ok so what you are saying is that Disney started with the resorts first then added the parks?? Its the parks people come to see not the resorts.. I barely spend time in ours when we go so I think spending money in the parks to get me coming back really isnt much to ask for instead of more high end resorts I couldnt afford to stay at anyway. How many DVC resorts do they NEED? If the parks go to pot then guess what?? No one will be filling the resorts no matter how many there are.

Actually, WDW was originally planned by Walt to be EPCOT--a self-sustaining city filled with not only theme parks, but residences, businesses, skyscrapers, public transportation, etc etc. Then, when WDW was initially built, it became a "Vacation Kingdom" with the resorts complimenting the parks. It was supposed to be a destination in and of itself, not just the rides. Fort Wilderness is so beloved for blending the best of the outdoors with the proximity of the theme parks and other Disney amenities. The outdoors is it's theme. You start paving over that, and yeah, you're going to upset some people.

What gets me is that didn't Disneyland Paris see much of it's financial woes due to an over-saturated hotel market? If they keep building more and more DVC, at what point does demand go down? Weren't they having issues selling units in Hawaii? Seems to me they should spend the cash plusing the capacity for all of the parks before expanding the hotels. Obviously Potter has proven that if you build it, they will come. Of course, the argument over what Disney would use extra cash for instead of building X or Y has been beaten into the ground.

In the meantime I just shake my head once again at the things WDW does. :rolleyes:

Gregoryp73

Typically they slow down or speed up the building of the next DVC building once the one prior to it is sold out...Once animal kingdom sold out, work started on BLT, and so on and so forth...

They have cancelled plans for some DVC because of lack of demand, but they don't build them unless they can fill em.

Another thing is, once the first DVC contracts are up, they will start reselling those units for another 40-50 years....so it provides a consistent string of new investment.

I would think you will see DVC at every deluxe resort at some point. I'll be surprised if there isn't a Polynesian DVC being drafted up as we speak.

:)

rioriz

Typically they slow down or speed up the building of the next DVC building once the one prior to it is sold out...Once animal kingdom sold out, work started on BLT, and so on and so forth...

They have cancelled plans for some DVC because of lack of demand, but they don't build them unless they can fill em.

Another thing is, once the first DVC contracts are up, they will start reselling those units for another 40-50 years....so it provides a consistent string of new investment.

I would think you will see DVC at every deluxe resort at some point. I'll be surprised if there isn't a Polynesian DVC being drafted up as we speak.

:)

Thanks for the info! While I would LOVE to see more attractions, as a business and capacity standpoint I totally understand why these are being built.

WDW1974

This is so wrong on so many levels.

Most of WDW's developable land is either already spoken for or planned for ... there aren't 50 square miles and it won't take 400 years to fill. Too much Pixie Dust today?

When the best you've got is WDW is a business, than you really have very little.

Wanna try again?

WDW1974

OK, where would these World Showcase DVC units go??? Actually IN World Showcase??? Why doesn't that sound feasible to me???

As I have heard, there would be units added at select (I believe 3-5) pavilions ... likely over/behind them.

Disney is gonna need some new gimmick ... they've done the BC with its pool ... the fan fave WL ... sticking folks on an African savanah ... then a tower next to MK ... and Treehouses in the woods ... now we have the Grand Flo ... and the FW/RC site ... like I said, they're running out of gimmicks here.

NoChesterHester

As I have heard, there would be units added at select (I believe 3-5) pavilions ... likely over/behind them.

Disney is gonna need some new gimmick ... they've done the BC with its pool ... the fan fave WL ... sticking folks on an African savanah ... then a tower next to MK ... and Treehouses in the woods ... now we have the Grand Flo ... and the FW/RC site ... like I said, they're running out of gimmicks here.

Over - worrisome. Looming DVC over pavilions doesn't sound fantastic.

Behind... Hmmm. Got to admit. Cool gimmick. Especially if it means more to explore in World Showcase while walking around with my $7 Carmel Apple...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom