Is this really a thing or is it April 1ST? Cabanas in the parks.

glvsav37

OK...while I hate these where they are, I think there is a use for them for the right situation/family, etc.

I'm guilty of renting cabanas like these at Sesame Place, but with that being mostly a water park, it was a great place to meet up, store our phones, change out of wet bathing suits, and a quiet place for the baby to nap. But even then it was only around $200-250 a day. You did get water, some gift towels and the characters would stop by for private photo ops.

I know WDW offers similar ones at their water parks, but I never felt the need to rent them b/c they were more expensive and not private (so ability to change).

On an average day, I can't justify the cost of these. Mainly b/c i don't ever spend a full day in any park. We stay on property, so going back to the room mid-day is our usual routine.

But I can see this type of thing being a real hot ticket for the upcoming holiday time where the park reaches capacity and often closes. Renting one of these can give families a place to escape the crowd w/o leaving the park. Huge for say a New Years Eve where you need to be there for a ton of hours.

Again, I'm hating where these are...way too visible from the main part of the park. I can't see myself renting one, but if there did come with extra fast passes, food credits or other bennies, then I can see them staying and being rented.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
But if they look tacky and in poor taste then who will want to pay $650 for them? They may absolutuely have market research showing an interest based on experiences running cabanas at Castaway Cay and the water parks, but if the end result is a offering that looks like a RunDisney pop-up water bottle station than they are doomed to fail. This looks like someone was in a rush to get these started before the holiday season, which runs the risk of alienating the target audience and putting off the average guest.

If they want to take this approach, than they need more permanent looking structures, and services that match the price point.

EDIT: An alternative would be to start with a lower price point for the test, building interesting while making adjustments, and then charging more when the permanent solution is ready. This may be what Disney is doing now, but I would still suggest not going with $650 as a base rate.
People pay thousands for tacky shoes so im sure someone will be happy to pay it.

The Empress Lilly

If the structures were shaped like Space Mountain, you'd be on to something there.
Brilliant! Replace the refugee tents with Mongolian Yurts!

RTRCP38.jpg

TP2000

At first I assumed this was a ridiculous rumor started by a bus driver, but apparently it's real.

But what's the most disturbing is how sad and cheap these things look. Even if this is just the temporary test structure for only 60 days thru the holidays, those look so tacky and tasteless. They really need to fix the low-brow aesthetics there, and bringing in even more potted trees from Home Depot is not the fix.

The entire aesthetic concept needs to be rethought and taken over by a professional design team for this temporary test. The temporary booths at my local county fair look better than these things.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, tent city in the middle of tomorrowland is simply inexcusable.

BUT the concept of cabanas that include a private space, food, snacks, drinks, storage space, and maybe a private meet and great seems like a great, once in a lifetime type experience if implemented well.

This is not implemented well. Even as a temporary test, this is inexcusable.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Still not worth the price if all they can bother to do is throw up a cheap tent you can buy at the local hardware store.
Yes, but "location, location, location".

Still, it at least needs a private bathroom and a Jacuzzi at those prices.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I have no words for this. For that price you could add several days to your trip. My local water park offers cabanas for only $100, and they are much, much, much better than this.

When I thought Disney couldn't come up with anything else to try to steal people's money, they do. :banghead:
They really aren't stealing anybody's money, you have to be willing to give it to them first.

You know what they say about a fool and his money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom