Is this really a thing or is it April 1ST? Cabanas in the parks.

Animaniac93-98

So what I've heard is that it's a test in the MK, and soon in Epcot. If it's successful, planners have already set aside 1.5 acres in DLR and in DHS's Star Wars areas for more substantial versions of them.

These are from a private event involving the food and beverage team! Not cabanas. Don't expect them to stay

We should start a betting pool on this site for insider info. ;)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
*sweats*

*quickly edits 'humble city abode' into 'that rusty old bike outside'*

To completely ruin your mood (mine is already ruined with regards to this topic) not only do I think these are real and staying, I'll bet they'll be successful enough that the expansion to DIoALitGHAwaSEoM (Disney's Islands of Adventure Located in the Greater Hollywood Area with a Slight Emphasis on Movies) and DAK will eventually happen. Every time I think that people won't waaaaay overspend on something at Disney they do.

The Empress Lilly

To completely ruin your mood (mine is already ruined with regards to this topic) not only do I think these are real and staying, I'll bet they'll be successful enough that the expansion to DIoALitGHAwaSEoM (Disney's Islands of Adventure Located in the Greater Hollywood Area with a Slight Emphasis on Movies) and DAK will eventually happen. Every time I think that people won't waaaaay overspend on something at Disney they do.
The very price makes these cabanas irresistible to certain people. I dare say that with lower prices they'd be less successful.

There is a reason why cabanas are always open on one side. As are vip lounges in trendy clubs and restaurants. People need to be able to look into them. So the parvenu inside can be seen. The ostentatiousness is the point.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
For $650 a day for one of these, I think I'd rather just upgrade to a room at the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian... Only minimally further away, but infinitely better accommodations. Now, if they are planning to build a more perminant type thing in Star Wars Land... I might consider upgrading... So long as my drinks are served by someone dressed up as Leia in the slave costume...

BrerJon

They look like something out of a refugee camp. And the idea that huge chunks of land might be being cleared for these things, instead of attractions, is not the most appealing thought.

If you can afford $650 dollars a day for a tent and some drinks, why not just buy a VIP tour guide, I think that works out cheaper, and never mind fetching a burger from Cosmic Rays, do ViP and they can get you into any table service restaurant too.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is interesting, and really could become a lasting thing. Say you set up 10 of these in all 4 parks and charge 650 per hour, then operate them for 12 hours a day (just for this thought experiment) everyday of the year. Let's do the math:

12 Hours x 365 Days x $650 x 4 Parks x 10 rooms

= $113,880,000

Whoa.

They only need 40 really wealthy families/corporations/celebrities to book these per day, or a few more to book partial days. Do they exist? I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Think of how cheap this would be to build and operate too. A couple well built and well themed rooms. A handful of minimum wage attendants to clean and provide service to the guests. Some snacks and drinks thrown in too. This would be almost pure profit. Margins would be extreme.

This is in the tradition of the VIP Tour guides and Club 33. Though even more starkly VIP. I can't help but have some negative feelings about this, but still it makes a ton of business sense if it works. We'll see.
I could be wrong, but I read this as $650.00 per day...not per hour.

You need to divide your end result by 12....$9,490,000...still a tidy sum

If it IS $650.00 per hour then I am truly flummoxed.

DDLand

I could be wrong, but I read this as $650.00 per day...not per hour.

You need to divide your end result by 12....$9,490,000...still a tidy sum

If it IS $650.00 per hour then I am truly flummoxed.
Right you are friend. Thanks for the heads up.

EpcotCenter82

For $650 a day for one of these, I think I'd rather just upgrade to a room at the Contemporary or the Grand Floridian
I was thinking the same. I'd rather spend $600+ per night for a tower MK view at the Contemporary. I could sit on my private balcony and watch the fireworks and also walk back and forth to the MK several times per day if I wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom