Is the Space Mountain refurb official or speculation?

RSoxNo1

Unfortuantly the SSE, Pirates, and el rio refurbishments were nothing to write home about and in the case of SSE and El rio were quite poor.

IASW got a good refurb (Thank God we didn't get cartoon cash-ins stuffed into the ride) but there were some things in the ride where they got lazy (such as not closing up the ceiling in some of the rooms). I was impressed with the Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder refurbs especially since they unfortuantly had such little time to work with. So they give me some hope.

I just wish all imagineering projects had to get run by the top guys like Joe Rhode, John Lasseter, and Tony Baxter before getting greenlit. Similar to how all the animated movies have to get run by the brain trust of top animators and directors. Just so that we don't wind up with trivial and unnecessary cartoon tie-ins and lame "interactive" elements that do very little to spice up the ride. The budget for those things could be put to better use implementing better special effects and more sophisticated AA's and richer themeing.

Tony Baxter and Marty Sklar were the minds behind the stylized versions of the Disney characters for "it's a small world". Not much was changed in the Big Thunder rehab, stuff was just fixed. Haunted Mansion was a good improvement because it took away from weak areas of the ride. The other complaints about SSE, Pirates and El Rio I feel are largely opinion based, when of course you're entitled to.

Whoislg007

I can imagine what a refurb to SM. I think the imagineers would do agreat job updating this classic ride. its a great idea Disney get on it..

Pete C

I like that pipe organ music in that DLP Space Mountain video Lee posted. I know its a Christmas song and not in the real ride, but I think that pipe organ sound fits the ride...it sounds foreboding as opposed to the cartoony music from the Disneyland refurb. I love the music in the DL one as you ascend into the dome...very dramatic and awe-inspiring, but once the ride starts going fast as you descend the upbeat part is not that great. It should have scarier music.

Space Mountain

I have heard alot of talk and rumors about updating WDW SM, is that actually official yet? if so when is it happening?

Let's just say...

Green%20Light-732415.jpg

MousDad

Tony Baxter and Marty Sklar were the minds behind the stylized versions of the Disney characters for "it's a small world". Not much was changed in the Big Thunder rehab, stuff was just fixed. Haunted Mansion was a good improvement because it took away from weak areas of the ride. The other complaints about SSE, Pirates and El Rio I feel are largely opinion based, when of course you're entitled to.

And Lasseter would have signed off on it too, right?

jakeman

IASW got a good refurb (Thank God we didn't get cartoon cash-ins stuffed into the ride) but there were some things in the ride where they got lazy (such as not closing up the ceiling in some of the rooms).
Would those be the ceiling panels that you have to look back over your shoulder, up, and to the left on the ride?

I remember when those were posted on D-Troop and being miffed...until I actually got there and saw where they were.

That's about the time naysayers lost the last bit of credibility with me.:lol:

Expo_Seeker40

I don't know if the ceiling tiles have been replaced, but there were still noticeable gaps in the ceiling back in January 2007 where you could see the warehouse ceiling. I had forgotten about it myself as I was too busy looking at all the refurbed sets and AA's, but a couple in the row infront of us saw it and pointed up at it, and there it was in the opening scene and british scene, large holes of missing ceiling tiles. :shrug:

jakeman

I don't know if the ceiling tiles have been replaced, but there were still noticeable gaps in the ceiling back in January 2007 where you could see the warehouse ceiling. I had forgotten about it myself as I was too busy looking at all the refurbed sets and AA's, but a couple in the row infront of us saw it and pointed up at it, and there it was in the opening scene and british scene, large holes of missing ceiling tiles. :shrug:
I know where you are talking about and you have to be highly observant to see them, especially in the opening scene. Like I said, your talking about looking away from show elements, back over your shoulder, and up. Either highly observant, nitpicky, or incredibly bored (on IASW...never! :snore:).

Oh, just so I can stay on topic, WDW SM needs the refurb bad. I usually disagree with imagineer boy, but most of his recommendations were spot on in my opinion.

Expo_Seeker40

As we have talked about before, SM needs the wow factor or the fear factor in it again. While I enjoy space mountain for various reasons, I remember when I first went on it in 1996 after hearing my grandparents rant and rave about it and how dark it was, they said it used to be pitch black which isn't true. I was told by a CM on the keys to the kingdom tour that the ride was in fact darker, but since some of the light bulbs used to make effects on the ceiling aren't made anymore, there has been more visible light leaks due to incorrect lighting, let alone the wide open queue doesn't help too much either.

Space Mountain needs better branding, and maybe more of a storyline to go along with a possible new rollercoaster track and effects.

There is such a mess of clutter out front (what is it with disney and clutter?)

My only personal attatchments are the hexagon windows and groovy queue music. They are something unique to wdw's space mountain. In california all you do is look at static pictures. If those unique effects can some how be incorporated into an all new retro or space age queue with awesome sound and lighting and effects and the rollercoaster itself in a more darker and thrilling evironment, then not only do you still have a ride that has some homages to the past i.e. upside down astronauts working on RCA explorer ship, hexagon windows and queue music, you have the newest thrilling ride in outer space! :sohappy:

Enigma

Account Suspended
Would those be the ceiling panels that you have to look back over your shoulder, up, and to the left on the ride?

I don't know about those. I'm talking about the panels in the final show scene where all you have to is look up and see gaps in the wall missing. I believe there is another room where they are clearly visible as well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To the OP; it isn`t official yet, but is very much forthcoming.

Ride it all you can before the end of this year... ;)

jt04

As we have talked about before, SM needs the wow factor or the fear factor in it again. While I enjoy space mountain for various reasons, I remember when I first went on it in 1996 after hearing my grandparents rant and rave about it and how dark it was, they said it used to be pitch black which isn't true. I was told by a CM on the keys to the kingdom tour that the ride was in fact darker, but since some of the light bulbs used to make effects on the ceiling aren't made anymore, there has been more visible light leaks due to incorrect lighting, let alone the wide open queue doesn't help too much either.

Space Mountain needs better branding, and maybe more of a storyline to go along with a possible new rollercoaster track and effects.

There is such a mess of clutter out front (what is it with disney and clutter?)

My only personal attatchments are the hexagon windows and groovy queue music. They are something unique to wdw's space mountain. In california all you do is look at static pictures. If those unique effects can some how be incorporated into an all new retro or space age queue with awesome sound and lighting and effects and the rollercoaster itself in a more darker and thrilling evironment, then not only do you still have a ride that has some homages to the past i.e. upside down astronauts working on RCA explorer ship, hexagon windows and queue music, you have the newest thrilling ride in outer space! :sohappy:
Well thought out and I hope it ends up similar to your description. The theme is critical but I hope they go for the retro style. Just glad it finally is getting done. If the queue is only half as good as Tokyo I will be ecstatic.

Wakkie Nu Nu

Especially considering the length of the potential SM refurb, will the TTA be down for the entire length of the work as well? It seems that they could block out the view of the inside of the building if they wanted to, but I suppose a lot would depend on the scope of the work. Any idea?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Especially considering the length of the potential SM refurb, will the TTA be down for the entire length of the work as well? It seems that they could block out the view of the inside of the building if they wanted to, but I suppose a lot would depend on the scope of the work. Any idea?
It`s not a case of blocking out the view; it`s more protecting the TTA - and guests - from the potential of hundereds of tonnes of steel coming down way too fast. In theory theWEDway cars could be diverted via the storage garage in SMs north side, but with the lights out in there it`d be even more boring than SSEs finale :D

Up to now the muttering is the TTA will close for part of the rehab.

the-reason14

You've lost me. You are either 1) Not responding to my point that a serious thrill ride is a different animal from a family immersive ride and continuing with your sarcastic rant or 2) Seriously advocating the destruction of classic Disney rides.

I'm assuming it's option #1.

Why bring in the whole thing about movies? They aren't refurbing SM to make it more like a movie. (Hopefully) they are refurbing it to make it more true to its original role in the park - to provide serious thrills and excitement. Surely you have to agree the current SM does not accomplish this goal.

It ALMOST reminds me of another debate I had on these boards with someone who said World of Motion should never have been turned into Test Track. To me this is ridiculous as Test Track is a far superior ride. In that case the decision was made that Epcot needed more thrills, so World of Motion was turned into a thrill ride.

What's different in this case is that SM is ALREADY a thrill ride. (At least it's supposed to be!) So I can't understand why anyone would object to making the ride more "thrilling" as this is consistent with what the ride is supposed to be.

PS. I leave for WDW in 18 days!

Test Track being superior to WOM is a matter of opinion not a fact. Although you didnt say that, thats what it came off as. N e ways, maybe you didnt read my post, but whatever. I said that if they were to gut SM to make it more thrilling or whatever, then they oughtta do that to the other kingdom classics. Whether SM is a thrilling attraction or not, it doesnt make a difference to me. A classic is a classic. But whatever, you think what you think, and Ill think what I think.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom