Is the Great Movie Ride lost on today's youth?

glee

Lord Of The Rings really needs to be in there.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I was going to say that. Great idea!!!

(How long before some spoil sports posts "DISNEY cant get the rights to that! :lol:)

Could someone please tell me where i can find the refurbs thats are happening in July (Didnt want to make a post about it, sorry for the randomness)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
HSM?? No way. I can see where people are coming from and it possibly would be better then that movie ive never heard of in my life :hammer: but its best to stick to stuff that appeals to the majority.
That's what I was saying. Making HSM featured in the ride would be like making December's issue of Playboy one of the books of the Bible.

WelshBatman

I'd like to think that if kids saw something in the Great Movie Ride that they weren't sure of, they'd seek out that movie and see what it was all about and that might encourage them to see more classic films. That's how I came across several of my favorite movies (some from the Great Movie Ride finale).

The thing about GMR is that the films featured have stood the test of time, who's to say if some of the newer films will be as relevant 20 years from now. I mean, high school musical will burn out and fade with a little luck and that will be just as obscure in a few years time. Some people may not know things like Foolight Parade, but they should be made aware of that period in filmmaking history and Footlight Parade is just as good of an example as any.

If the kids don't get it, it's their loss.

I personally don't have a problem including a short clip of the first HSM as it was a huge hit. We need to get past the point that we don't really like as many millions do. :brick:

ABigBrassBand

I'm 15, and when I rode the GMR again in early January I could recognize almost every movie, but maybe thats just me? Of course, the generation that I've grown up with only likes thrill rides, and I stood out like a sore thumb for loving dark rides in FL.

Mickey is King

My family and I love this attraction!!!

The way they mix the live action in with the scenes is wonderful.

I just thought that some sets on the attraction are spectacular, where others were lagging.

overall: Great ride! or rather Great movie ride

WDWFigment

I personally don't have a problem including a short clip of the first HSM as it was a huge hit. We need to get past the point that we don't really like as many millions do. :brick:

Plenty of crappy movies are huge hits. Again, it's not the Commercially Successful Movie Ride, it's the Great Movie Ride. While Great is subjective, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a movie critic or scholar worth his salt who would be willing to call HSM great.

Thrill Seeker

I think it just needs to be modernized somehow. There are several films that just aren't recognizable anymore and should be replaced by either something Disney or something newer. I'd also love to see some kind of interactive aspect come in the form of shooting video of guests reacting to scenes and including them in a faux movie trailer for the finale.

stlbobby

The ride has always appealed to film buffs, of whatever age. If someone, young or old, really loves movies they will love this. If they aren't really into movies then they will be more apathetic.

The ride scenes themselves should be left alone, or just spruced up, but re-editing the final tribute has happened throughout the ride's existence and adding a few clips every few years is probably a good idea. It freshens it up and can draw the kids in and help them get enthusiastic about the older classics.

Master Gracey 5

Plenty of crappy movies are huge hits. Again, it's not the Commercially Successful Movie Ride, it's the Great Movie Ride. While Great is subjective, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a movie critic or scholar worth his salt who would be willing to call HSM great.

I totally agree. You can't put a commercially successful movie in there as comparable to the classics. The reason these B/W movies are classics are because they stand the test of time and are considered great works. I severely doubt people will be watching HSM or some of these other 'successful' moves in 50 years.

Also, if they put HSM in next to the dancing scene from Citizen Kane, I would probably lose my mind with rage.

UrbanDonovan

Lets compare it to radio, back in the day it used to be soft redio, mostly elevator music, now its the eighties, nineties, and disney pop. same as the movie ride, it is stuck in the past, you have to keep the great movies, just like radio keeps alot of the great songs from the 60's and 70's. its time to add the great movies from the past 40 years, examples saving private ryan, forrest gump, surfs up, titanic, ect.....there are so many.

I REALLY don't think Surf's Up should be lumped in with modern classic's like Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump. But just call me nit-picky.

PeoplemoverTTA

I'm just laughing to myself at some of the "classics" in the finale montage:

-Big Business
-Three Men and a Baby
-Down and Out in Beverly Hills
-Shakespeare in Love

Don't get me wrong, I love GMR and it's one of my favorite attractions. It does seem though that the finale has always been geared toward a combination of commercial hits and classics...I mean really, Big Business?

WelshBatman

you've got a point, but Shakespeare in Love was a big movie... as far as Big Business goes, when MGM opened, I think they were hoping it was gonna be big and it ended up flopping. If anyone remembers though the Soundstage Restaurant was supposed to look like a live set from that movie back when the park opened. I think that they put it in GMR just to go along with that. However, look at it this way, the movie flopped but it did star some big names Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin, so look at it as a tribute to them and not so much the movie.

Ok but put it this way, not every movie in the montage at the end is necessarily great. And by no means am I a fan of HSM, but still I thought it was about iconic movies of the past and present. As much as we hate to admit it, HSM is an iconic movie for this generation for kids. Chicago wasn't exactly a great movie in my opinion yet it's in there.

I totally agree. You can't put a commercially successful movie in there as comparable to the classics. The reason these B/W movies are classics are because they stand the test of time and are considered great works. I severely doubt people will be watching HSM or some of these other 'successful' moves in 50 years.

Also, if they put HSM in next to the dancing scene from Citizen Kane, I would probably lose my mind with rage.

But we don't know that. We all hate HSM and always think it won't amount to anything in the future but we can't tell.

I REALLY don't think Surf's Up should be lumped in with modern classic's like Saving Private Ryan and Forrest Gump. But just call me nit-picky.

I agree with you on this one.

But would like to add, as before that 'great' movies are subject to your own opinion.

There's plenty of movies I see as great that would never be put in, new and old.
:shrug:

WelshBatman

You're right, it's way to subjective a topic. You could never make a montage containing films that everyone agrees is a classic. You just have to make something that tries to appeal to as many people as possible. I mean, I hate Grease, but it's in there. I guess you just have to find something in there for yourself. I always look at that montage as something that showcases what people have been able to do with film. From acting talent to special effects and even the music, it all makes a compelling look at films. I just don't believe that something like HSM would be a worthy addition at this time. Who knows, maybe in 20 years everybody will love it and it'd become a classic and therefore they'd add a whole scene dedicated to it... I just don't want to be a part of that future heh...

imagineer boy

If any scene needs to be replaced it has to be Tarzan. And the finale film needs some updating.

I know it sounds incredibly ambitious, but maybe they could expand the ride by expanding the back of the ride building into the HISTK play ground where they can add at least four more show scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom