Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

Kman101

I don't really understand the outrage..... All I see is Disney knocking down ugly buildings and building new ones. New food and beverage (that may be expanded using space that is currently unused) will be going where there is currently food and beverage (electric umbrella); Merchandise will go where there is currently merchandise (Mouse Gears); a festival center will replace some meet and greet space, some empty space and club cool; a meet and greet area will replace some meet and greet and empty space; and a water play area/maze will replace unused areas. The center will be beautified/greened up and will sell some beer (we will lose the fountain for this). From what I am seeing this is not really a huge change, the difference could be in the architecture and a feeling of openness. I am hoping that these new buildings will be built for their purpose and architecturally more modern and beautiful than the existing ugly communicore buildings. If Disney decided to repurpose do you really think that would have driven them to invest the rest of the budget into existing pavilions? I will wait to see what the architecture looks like before ripping this..... if it is compelling then this will be a great modernization of this area.

But, why knock down what can be reused? It seems like a waste of time. I need to see artwork of the new buildings before I decide if it was "worth it" for them to do this.

You realize the buildings would look better with the water features that used to exist around them and being able to see the large floor to ceiling windows to let in natural light. They've let them rot, more or less. They could really make it beautiful again without demoing everything.

But I also imagine they may find it "easier" in the long run to maintain new buildings rather than those that have been there since 1982.

I need concept art before I can form a hard opinion on this.

Most of our arguments are that it seems pointless to demo and rebuild what's already there, does it not?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
SO, you want to instill your morals and values on others? A few misbehaving people should ruin the experience for others?

In my hundred+ Epcot visits (including NYE) I've never, NOT ONCE, observed anyone fighting, peeing themselves, or cursing up a storm. But even if I had, it happens. Don't go if you don't like it. Epcot has a different vibe and that's on purpose.

It's not a few misbehaving people, it's been discussed AT LENGTH on this message board and others.

Slov72

But, why knock down what can be reused? It seems like a waste of time. I need to see artwork of the new buildings before I decide if it was "worth it" for them to do this.

You realize the buildings would look better with the water features that used to exist around them and being able to see the large floor to ceiling windows to let in natural light. They've let them rot, more or less. They could really make it beautiful again without demoing everything.

But I also imagine they may find it "easier" in the long run to maintain new buildings rather than those that have been there since 1982.

I need concept art before I can form a hard opinion on this.

Most of our arguments are that it seems pointless to demo and rebuild what's already there, does it not?

I am sure cost conscience Disney has tried to save money on this. If they feel like the best use way to modernize the area is to knock the old buildings down there may be issues that we are not privy to. Maybe the old buildings couldn't be retrofitted to accommodate the vision they have for the festival center for instance. Also, maybe the smell issues in some of the areas is something that would be extremely hard to overcome. It would surprise me if Disney decided to knock everything down when it would be cheaper to just renovate and still get their desired results. I agree that the concept art will tell a much better story than just the layout we currently have.

griffin ferrari

I am sure cost conscience Disney has tried to save money on this. If they feel like the best use way to modernize the area is to knock the old buildings down there may be issues that we are not privy to. Maybe the old buildings couldn't be retrofitted to accommodate the vision they have for the festival center for instance. Also, maybe the smell issues in some of the areas is something that would be extremely hard to overcome. It would surprise me if Disney decided to knock everything down when it would be cheaper to just renovate and still get their desired results. I agree that the concept art will tell a much better story than just the layout we currently have.
IE the The universe of energy building needed a lot more work than they thought, it would’ve been easier and cheaper just to knock it down from what I hear from other Threads

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don't really understand the outrage..... All I see is Disney knocking down ugly buildings and building new ones. New food and beverage (that may be expanded using space that is currently unused) will be going where there is currently food and beverage (electric umbrella); Merchandise will go where there is currently merchandise (Mouse Gears); a festival center will replace some meet and greet space, some empty space and club cool; a meet and greet area will replace some meet and greet and empty space; and a water play area/maze will replace unused areas. The center will be beautified/greened up and will sell some beer (we will lose the fountain for this). From what I am seeing this is not really a huge change, the difference could be in the architecture and a feeling of openness. I am hoping that these new buildings will be built for their purpose and architecturally more modern and beautiful than the existing ugly communicore buildings. If Disney decided to repurpose do you really think that would have driven them to invest the rest of the budget into existing pavilions? I will wait to see what the architecture looks like before ripping this..... if it is compelling then this will be a great modernization of this area.

I don’t think the issue is the buildings. It’s the “attractions” that are going in. They just aren’t very exciting. Where is the creativity to come up with something that hasn’t been done before? Or just something creative, period? I would expect to see that in a complete redesign of the hub for future world. But, nope, we are getting another pretty place to drink and a festival center. I get that communicore and innoventions may not be feasible any more. But is this the best they can come up with, with the budget allocated? I’m sure it will look nice. But it’s just lame.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Exactly and the buildings are awful. They reflect a dying "Walt Disney Productions" that couldn't afford better themed structures in 1982... good riddance.
Now that’s what you call opinion.

:hilarious:

For someone who’s joined here in 2006 and posted the majority of their 305 posts this year you defend the company’s decisions an awful lot.

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

Again, you are basing your comment on assumptions and conjecture. You have no idea what the design will be. Again, check out PARADISE GARDENS at Disney California Adventure. THIS was called a "BEER GARDEN" when it was first revealed, yet despite the negative assumptions, turned out to be a beautiful space.

Based on photos it looks like your typical small quick service building with outdoor seating and trees. Granted, I'm basing this all on photos so I could have this all wrong.
With the proximity to World Showcase, do you need a Beer Garden right there?

Call me crazy but a nicely themed garden walkthrough with water features that possibly put on a lightshow and/or jumping fountains show would make that walk to World Showcase a lot more enjoyable.

Phicinfan

Jumping to conclusions that it will be some tent on a lawn selling beer out of a keg, causing backups, blight, etc. "Beer Garden" is a misleading term as evidenced by its use in past Disney designs. People are assuming they know what this is. They don't.
I begin to wonder why you are fighting this so hard? You are NOT the only one to have gone to a Worlds fair, so we can move off that point. It is a beer garden, I don't think they will have glow in the dark kegs, nor will they have hydraulic seats that suddenly appear out of the ground or such. So at the end of the day, it is a place either outside or inside that sells beverages with little or no other value. So yeah, some of us take issue with this happening vs. some other real addition.

I will also add, that some of us, are also greatly disappointed they felt the need to add (tear down and then add) more festival space rather than spend that money on other attractions.

So pardon some of us if we are strongly disappointed with what is being done.

Kman101

I begin to wonder why you are fighting this so hard? You are NOT the only one to have gone to a Worlds fair, so we can move off that point. It is a beer garden, I don't think they will have glow in the dark kegs, nor will they have hydraulic seats that suddenly appear out of the ground or such. So at the end of the day, it is a place either outside or inside that sells beverages with little or no other value. So yeah, some of us take issue with this happening vs. some other real addition.

I will also add, that some of us, are also greatly disappointed they felt the need to add (tear down and then add) more festival space rather than spend that money on other attractions.

So pardon some of us if we are strongly disappointed with what is being done.

If we're stuck with festivals (it was wishful thinking on most people's parts that they would ever drop them) I'm OK with a building if it's multi-story and greatly designed. If it's a big box? No thanks. But then again, they have all sorts of space in both Innoventions buildings. Why not there?

It just feels like they could better utilize the spaces they have, but I wonder what other factors played into this decision?

It also depends for me how "interactive" the Play pavilion really is. If it's a nod to the past while using IP, I can accept it a little more. But I also don't hate most of the IP being shoved into one pavilion either.

Mixed feelings on so many of these things ... I try and find a bright spot where I can. Keeps me partially sane ;)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Another possible factor.....MAYBE the Imagineers wanted to build something nice near the new Festival Center, but the only way to get it greenlit from the execs was to have the beer garden as a feature??????

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom