Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

JJJ

Still inferior to the original version of Imageworks.
Journey+13+Rainbow.jpg
The rainbow tunnel would have aged so well with the intstagram generation today. I hope they bring it back in some form, if/when they redo the Imagination Pavillion.

Cmdr_Crimson

The rainbow tunnel would have aged so well with the intstagram generation today. I hope they bring it back in some form, if/when they redo the Imagination Pavillion.
Innoventions did have a Rainbow Tunnel at one point...An entrance tunnel to the former Segway experience formally Medecine's New Vision exhibit in Innoventions West was a smaller version of it...I found this pic from Guide to the magic's site.....
http://www.guidetothemagic.com/epcot/futureworldwest/innoventionswest/innoventionswest7.htm
Disney0693.jpg

You can see the tunnel in this old map from Florida-Project at #5...
epcot-innoventions-guidemap-2001-04.jpg

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

The space currently used for innoventions has only been a shell of its former self ever since communicore closed. In my opinion this area will remain in limbo as long as Disney thinks it needs sponsors for any exhibit in there.

Having said that, I wonder if they could hook up with some cell phone providers and come up with some sort of interactive exhibit where folks use their own smart phones to interact with a huge IMAX screen, everyone who chooses to join is represented by an icon, not sure what the game would be, but just a thought.

prberk

I've thought for years that Disney should purchase the Discovery Channel. They could then turn one side of Innoventions into a studio where they could broadcast a few weekly shows, maybe even a daily morning show outside in front of the FoN. They could do a LOT of tie-ins with the F&W, F&G and FotA festivals. They could also produce travelogue shows with tie-ins to World Showcase. All while keeping a lot of existing Discovery Channel programming. Always seemed like such a natural partnership to me.

I have always thought that. It actually goes along with what started the parks in the first place: a weekly television show (Disneyland/World of Color) that often used the parks as a backdrop and tie-in to the feature program. It really is the backbone to everything we know as Disney's parks and "synergy" today. It was brilliant marketing and informative at the same time. Disney used to know how to appeal to children and adults at the same time in this way.

Discovery Channel isn't what it once was... from Wikipedia...

It initially provided documentary television programming focused primarily on popular science, technology, and history, but by the 2010s had expanded into reality television and pseudo-scientific entertainment.

So, this idea could help both make money while regaining respect that they once had as innovators as well as entertainers. It can and should be done. In this case, it would be more likely with National Geographic but still could benefit both.

In the early 80's, there was a show that was at least taped in EPCOT Center, called EPCOT Magazine, and was shown on the very new Disney Channel. It was a lot like the kind of show that you describe above.
Shame that Epcot Magazine doesn't exist anymore..

An updated version is definitely something that they should do. The company just does not know what they have in EPCOT, itself an IP, I still say.

brb1006

Innoventions did have a Rainbow Tunnel at one point...An entrance tunnel to the former Segway experience formally Medecine's New Vision exhibit in Innoventions West was a smaller version of it...I found this pic from Guide to the magic's site.....
http://www.guidetothemagic.com/epcot/futureworldwest/innoventionswest/innoventionswest7.htm
Disney0693.jpg

You can see the tunnel in this old map from Florida-Project at #5...
epcot-innoventions-guidemap-2001-04.jpg
I remember seeing the rainbow tunnel at Innoventions a lot in old WDW promotional videos. Is there any footage of that tunnel online?

PoTCGuy

An updated version is definitely something that they should do. The company just does not know what they have in EPCOT, itself an IP, I still say.

You make an excellent point - EPCOT was (and still has the potential to be) it's own IP! Especially if there was an Epcot Magazine type (weekly?) show to help provide exposure to the wider audience via one or more of Disney's cable channels.

Cmdr_Crimson

You make an excellent point - EPCOT was (and still has the potential to be) it's own IP! Especially if there was an Epcot Magazine type (weekly?) show to help provide exposure to the wider audience via one or more of Disney's cable channels.

If they did they'd probably throw all of the Disney Channel stars in it..Just to jingle the keys to the kids to pay attention....

jt04

Changes at Epcot are always sad for me ... but if they revamp it into a modern Horizons, I'll be good!

By the time they could build this the concepts would already be obsolete.

DanielBB8

The buildings should be utilized as a kids space with playgrounds and flat rides. Or go more ambitious in a similar way as Little Mermaid undersea adventures like at Tokyo DisneySeas. Or maybe raze and do a Zootopia.

brb1006

If they did they'd probably throw all of the Disney Channel stars in it..Just to jingle the keys to the kids to pay attention....
Remember when Disney Channel Stars wasn't a thing? Disney Channel used to have a segment between shows hosted by Tom Morrow called "Imagineer That!' (Before the revamp) where they actually went behind the scenes at some Disney attractions and what is going on at the parks at the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom