Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

MuteSuperstar

Problem is people can get the same experience at Best Buy now. Or the latest information from the internet.

Again, I just think these are easy excuses. Sum of All Thrills, World of Color and the weather and home theater things they had a while back were all beyond what you can see at Best Buy.

Now whether or not the phone-addled masses would still care, that's debatable. And part of the problem.

yensidtlaw1969

Energy = Guardians of the Galaxy. It works. Not far fetched.
I don't know if this was in response to my post, but it kind of aligns with my point - I wish they would have stopped and thought through their plan for the park instead of rushing to put a band aid like Guardians of the Galaxy that will probably be hard to retroactively suit to whatever theme the park is heading towards (if any).

I'm sure it will be popular with guests, but it erodes the theme instead of adding to it and doesn't suggest they have a plotted direction for the park to go with future additions. It seems like a one-off that doesn't consider its context in the park, which is a reversal of Disney's better practices.

TrainsOfDisney

Not sure where the Best Buy comparison comes from. I never got to ride a Segway or see a Honda robot demo at a Best Buy. Also never got to see a 20 minute comedy game show about Velcro or umm... hook and loop fasteners but that’s another story all together! :p

MuteSuperstar

They would likely still be open it they were experiences enough guests were looking for. People want M&G's. And IPs.

Yes it is painfully clear to me what the unyielding hordes want now. And Disney will give it to them. Hurrah. As for IP, any original idea/attraction is also IP. Everything in the park is "IP".

When Innoventions actually, oh I dunno....had stuff to do, it seemed to have plenty of people wandering around.

But really, bring on the meet and greets. I'm pretty much done with the place.

Not sure where the Best Buy comparison comes from. I never got to ride a Segway or see a Honda robot demo at a Best Buy. Also never got to see a 20 minute comedy game show about Velcro or umm... hook and loop fasteners but that’s another story all together! :p

It's just an easy defense for gutting/neglecting/being lazy with Future World, generally. But again, I know this is just tilting at windmills given where the mindset/attention span of most of the guests is now.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

I think this might be what they may do if Martin is right about the budget. Wouldn't overwhelm the buildings with crowds.

They could also add the F&W glow drink place as a permanent feature. I'm sure it does well.
Actually, M & G will end up at WoL. F &W ( Festival Center) will take over either Innovations East or West

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
When Innoventions actually, oh I dunno....had stuff to do, it seemed to have plenty of people wandering around.

That's because each display could only accommodate a disappointingly few number of guests. If you're going to show off the latest gadget or game at a Disney park, you need fifty of them to accommodate the crowd, not five. Cf. Project Tomorrow.

Last edited:

jt04

Turning one of the communicore buildings into rotating event space seems like a good idea. I don't think the increasingly popular festivals will leave anytime soon.

The Empress Lilly

Again, I just think these are easy excuses. Sum of All Thrills, World of Color and the weather and home theater things they had a while back were all beyond what you can see at Best Buy.

Now whether or not the phone-addled masses would still care, that's debatable. And part of the problem.
Also, these exhibits bear little relationship to any pavilion or larger theme. I think Colortopia and Sum of all Thrills are as good as anything that's ever been in these buildings, but there is immense value to CommuniCore's Energy Exchange being the neighbour of Universe of Energy.

DanielBB8

I don't know if this was in response to my post, but it kind of aligns with my point - I wish they would have stopped and thought through their plan for the park instead of rushing to put a band aid like Guardians of the Galaxy that will probably be hard to retroactively suit to whatever theme the park is heading towards (if any).

I'm sure it will be popular with guests, but it erodes the theme instead of adding to it and doesn't suggest they have a plotted direction for the park to go with future additions. It seems like a one-off that doesn't consider its context in the park, which is a reversal of Disney's better practices.
I don’t consider a multi million dollar addition to be a bandaid. It’s the exact opposite. It’s especially odd to cite theming as the concern since Epcot has no traditional theme park theming in Future World. It’s a contemporary office park that’s already outdated. The 1960s is over. It’s not far fetched since that’s the route Disney is going for consistently in their other theme parks. Avatar’s Pandora fulfills the Beast portion of Animal Kingdom’s Mission Statement with the dragons. Hollywood Studios is the least consistent use of its theme since pretty much all IP can be fitted without much complaint.

The future means all Disney theme parks gets more Disneyfied. We’re decades into Epcot’s fix due to customer complaints. The only difference today is the competition made the stakes much higher and Disney’s wallet have finally opened for Orlando.

yensidtlaw1969

I don’t consider a multi million dollar addition to be a bandaid. It’s the exact opposite. It’s especially odd to cite theming as the concern since Epcot has no traditional theme park theming in Future World. It’s a contemporary office park that’s already outdated. The 1960s is over. It’s not far fetched since that’s the route Disney is going for consistently in their other theme parks. Avatar’s Pandora fulfills the Beast portion of Animal Kingdom’s Mission Statement with the dragons. Hollywood Studios is the least consistent use of its theme since pretty much all IP can be fitted without much complaint.

The future means all Disney theme parks gets more Disneyfied. We’re decades into Epcot’s fix due to customer complaints. The only difference today is the competition made the stakes much higher and Disney’s wallet have finally opened for Orlando.
I never cited theming, I cited theme, which is not the same thing.

That's why people had a problem with the idea of adding Indiana Jones to Animal Kingdom - the theming of such an attraction fits the environs of the park, so it wouldn't necessarily *look* out of place, but since Indiana Jones isn't in any way about Animals it doesn't fit the theme of the park.

So far the same is true of Guardians, except they didn't even bother to add theming to the new building. According to the art, the old Energy building won't even be seeing drastic change, because the look of it aligns sufficiently with the look of the world of Guardians. So far, however, they haven't offered any meaningful evidence that the ride will either A) fit the established theme of Future World, which has been eroding for almost 2 decades, or B) establish or align with a new theme for the area known as Future World. So, no matter how cool or expensive the ride is, Epcot is still going to feel like a broken park if they don't try to fix the underlying thematic issues that they've been ignoring for 15+ years. It just may be a more popular broken park.

I hope, whether reasonably or not, that they can do better than that.

yensidtlaw1969

remember innoventions in its hey day? I was just a kid and looked forward to going in every time. It's been a shell of its former self. Much like disneyquest, it just wasn't able to stay up with the new technology.
I think we should make a point to distinguish between what Disney can't keep up with and what they don't keep up with.

They had every resource they needed to keep things like DisneyQuest, Innoventions, and the greater Future World area fresh and interesting. They basically chose not to, and now they're paying for it to varying degrees with each of those areas.

EDITED to add: DisneyQuest and Innoventions saw barely any significant investment over the last 20 years aside from the occasional "new toy", which is why I say they didn't keep up with it. It's not like they kept trying to bail water and were overtaken, they let things languish. Future World has at least seen significant investment, but it's been lacking in vision. At opening, Future World had more vision than practically anything the company had ever done, which is why it stings so much that it lacks it so desperately now.

I'll say it again, I'm willing to see them move in a new direction if they feel the need, just as long as that new direction has vision. I won't even ask them to have as much vision for it as they did in 1982, since I know it won't happen, but you have to be trying to do something. Otherwise you're just building rides, which does not a Theme Park make.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

I agree the theme of Epcot is broken, but with full knowledge that just about everything is replaced. The only original rides is Spaceship Earth, Imagination, and The Land. Spaceship Earth will get another renovation without a sponsor. Imagination is likely to get something new. So whatever theme you think the park is, it isn’t what it was for many years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom