Is the CP Worth Staying in School for an Extra Semester?

peachypear14

Original Poster
I was considering doing the CP next fall, followed by a study abroad in the spring. My friend was going to do the CP with me but is now saying that she can't (something about being a "slave" for Disney). In addition, if I do it, I might graduate a semester later unless I stay for a couple of summer sessions.

I LOVE everything about the World (my friends find it annoying) and I don't know when the next time is that I will be back. Do you think it's worth it to do the College Program (fall '09 is the only plausible time to do it)? Is there anything about it that would help me in the long-run; a good reason to justify doing it?

SeaBreeze

I took a semester to do a spring PI and would absolutely do it again. It seems like the end of the world to graduate a semester late, but it's really not at all. Especially if it's something that helps you out with career decisions. Honestly, with the job market being how it is, staying in school isn't so bad haha. Everyone I know who took a semester to do some sort of internship/co-op/etc, recommended others do it. After all, how many opportunities like that will you get?

In the end, it's completely up to you and I'm sure your gut is already telling you want it wants :)

joanna71985

Yes it is. I took 2 semesters off for Disney, and am now graduating a year behind (it could have been 1 semester behind, but I decided not to). I don't regret it at all.

jiminy.cricket

I think employers look at experience more than education. It doesn't really matter when you graduate (as long as tuition doesn't explode), and I would have loved to have taken time off for an internship before graduating. As long as you make sure you get something valuable out of it, I think it will help you in the long run (especially if you want to continue working at Walt Disney World). Plus, I've heard of people saving up enough to buy a car in a 3-month period, so maybe you could save a little for books or tuition or housing while you're there.

kcw

it is absolutely worth it- the only problem for me is that I am not planning on going back after I graduate, so it has made the extra semester and then rest of my time go by very slowly.... have you thought about doing it the semester after you graduate? I don't know if that conflicts with your other plans/studyin abroad, but you wouldn't have to take a semester off that way.

totaljen

Best Semester 'in school' I ever had!

I would HIGHLY recommend the CP program (and the subsequent semester delayed graduation!:animwink:) I was a CP in the fall of '99 (worked at Alien Encounter...:cry: RIP Skippy!) and it really was one of the best decisions I made during school!
I will say this about the CP program though (and life as a matter of fact)--it is what you make it. I say Carpe Diem!There are definitely some positions as a CP Cast Member that some people would hate as far as a 'job' goes ... but you sound like someone who simply loves Disney...that being the outlook, anyplace in the 'World' will be a great opportunity for you.

The hours can be long, the pay is minimal, but the experience IS priceless.

The best thing I received from that experience (aside from the fantastic friends/memories!) are the connections/networking opportunities I had. And EVERY interview I've EVER had since my WDW CP internship, this is the experience they ask me about. And unlike some other 'interview' questions, this one's EASY to talk about!
It WILL definitely open doors for you afterwards. I honestly can't say enough about how wonderful it was!...and good news for you, IMHO, the Fall is THE BEST time to do this internship (all the holidays, extra Cast Member holiday benefits, special gifts...need I say more?!)
Hope that helps!:)

CaptainAshley

Do it without a second thought. Best thing I've ever done in my life... besides, unemployment's at an all-time high-- are you that eager to graduate and enter into our current economy anyway?? Run away and join the Disney circus, i promise you won't regret it!

Tinkrbell

I am currently down here on the Career Start Program (dont have to be in college.) Im planning on extending & staying an extra semester even though doing so will put me behind an entire school year, I havent started college yet & want to enjoy what I do before I start. I was all registered for classes & everything to start this semester, but when I found out I got into the program & decided to put thaat all on hold.

So far, I have been here almost 2 months & I would sasya it is definitely worth the extra tme Im going to be in school now.

peachypear14

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input! I must say you are all swaying me in one direction in particular... :animwink: Although I'm still not 100% sure - we'll see how things pan out and I'll let you know what I decide!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom