Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

TomP

Hopefully. Disney have certainly heard people here saying they wish they'd paint the roof, anyway - WDI is hard at work on the plans for that:

1MsP0Y4.png
Curse you @BrerJon for putting that image in my head. :jawdrop:

Goofyernmost

Thanks. Looks like the walls will be up there when I am there. :(
No one is posting updates anymore so it is hard to tell what, if anything, is happening behind the walls. When I saw the most recent pictures of what is left, my first thought was that the platform will become a stage area for special events and perhaps a sitting area when nothing else is happening. I am only guessing, we will have to see what develops.

Rasvar

I'm still partially sad we never got a giant set of Mickey's shoes or pants in the other two parks. We could have a boneyard exhibit with all of Mickey's outerwear that was spread over the property.

articos

Thanks, that's brilliant news, it shows even Disney is acknowledging that the theatre looks great.

And yes, as to the urban legend, I guess Iger must have ponied up the money to buy the rights back from Graumans! o_O

Complete urban legend. While the steel was exposed, the photographers turned around to give a view that didn't have a construction mess in the picture. Otherwise, there are no rights issues at all to photographing a building that Disney owns in their park. It is referred to as "the Chinese Theatre". The real thing in Hollywood is owned by 2 movie producers who bought it from a partnership of Warner Bros and Viacom, who bought it from the Mann Theater Circuit prior. The land it sits on is owned by CIM Group, who own the Hollywood & Highland development. It is currently sponsored by TCL group via naming rights. But none of that has any bearing on the Disney park version.

yedliW

Complete urban legend. While the steel was exposed, the photographers turned around to give a view that didn't have a construction mess in the picture. Otherwise, there are no rights issues at all to photographing a building that Disney owns in their park. It is referred to as "the Chinese Theatre". The real thing in Hollywood is owned by 2 movie producers who bought it from a partnership of Warner Bros and Viacom, who bought it from the Mann Theater Circuit prior. The land it sits on is owned by CIM Group, who own the Hollywood & Highland development. It is currently sponsored by TCL group via naming rights. But none of that has any bearing on the Disney park version.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll play one on the internet.. I have a friend who is a photographer who said that anything that can be seen with your eyes can legally be photographed. It may be different on private property, so they may be able to restrict photos, but more likely, due to the sheer number of cameras that are present at any given moment at a Disney park, if an entity has reason to restrict photographs of something at the park, they would only be able to restrict/limit Disney Photogs from taking pictures of it. Or it could be part of an agreement to share IP.

BrerJon

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll play one on the internet.. I have a friend who is a photographer who said that anything that can be seen with your eyes can legally be photographed. It may be different on private property, so they may be able to restrict photos, but more likely, due to the sheer number of cameras that are present at any given moment at a Disney park, if an entity has reason to restrict photographs of something at the park, they would only be able to restrict/limit Disney Photogs from taking pictures of it. Or it could be part of an agreement to share IP.

Also pretty much every building in Hollywood Boulevard is based on a real one, so that would be a lot of IP if they had to get permission from every one.

WDWArchitectureGuy

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'm qualified to copy and paste from a legal website:
"The Architectural Works Copyright Protection Act (AWCPA) only protects 'architectural works' created on or after December 1, 1990, and some earlier designs so long as they were unconstructed and unpublished as of that date. In determining when a design was created remember that a drawing can be created gradually, as each part is committed to paper."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom