Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

WDW1974

Here's the deal.

Legitimate rumors often contradict because WDI does a horrible job at keeping most Blue Sky plans quiet within the company. When Imagineers walk through the parks to study future possibilities, many of them happily describe their grandiose ideas for a new Frontierland, Imagination pavilion, or Star Wars to managers and other CMs. It's similar to a new grandpa presenting his grandchild. Sometimes those plans are 85% certain; other times they're 100% determined. But Disney is an enormous company with bloated budgets and egos, and offices full of red tape. Even when a project is officially announced (e.g. Hyperion Wharf or Avatar), plenty of executives and analysts can jump in to force changes. And that 100%-true plan the Imagineer bragged about a few months beforehand becomes a false rumor.

Two months ago, Carsland was a sure thing. CMs in affected attractions had been informed they were going to be cross-trained in other areas. Offices were moved around to make room for WDI. But today, Cars has been pushed to the back burner and the Star Wars universe will assume control of the left half of the park, beginning with American Idol and stretching to *some* location. Some reports say it will extend to the Muppets; others say it will end with the current gift shop.

The Indiana Jones stunt show contracts have been renewed, meaning the show will most likely be around a while longer. But it's definitely going away.

What will the finalized plan be? I'd rather not speculate publicly, because a rumor that's 100% true today could be wrong within a week. That's why many proven insiders here (like @Lee or @WDW1974) speak cautiously. It also protects sources.

And frankly, I don't think Disney knows what its finalized plans are yet.

So, so true.

Amazing how fast Cars Land went from sure thing to now being pretty much not happening.

rckid

Captain Neo.......wasn't "Pixar Place" built with the intension to add more "Pixar" themed attractions besides just a Toy Story ride and a Toy Story meet & greet? I remember hearing rumors that the building that's next door to Toy Story Mania was rumored to be converted into a roller coaster themed to Monsters Inc. Pixar Place is a disappointment of a land in my opinion and yes, I was expecting future expansion of that area after Toy Story was completed(maybe not a park makeover, but at least more Pixar attractions). That to me would be better than adding in more Star Wars attractions. Maybe adding in a sci-fi attraction themed to John Carter near the Star Tours ride would not only be nice for the park, but introduce more audiences to the film since it didn't do so well at the theaters(even though I thought it was a good movie).

WDW1974

I checked with someone who told me 1 year. Don't use that as an official timeline, but it's definitely going to be replaced for Star Wars.

EDIT: The contracts were for stunt performers, and were renewed a few weeks ago.

Contracts also don't preclude Disney shutting it down and paying people to not work, either.

But I could see the show playing through next summer and then closing.

Magenta Panther

I'd say -- and this is without talking to my peeps -- that you're looking at Star Wars largely in 2017 (some parts may open in '16.

Avatar was supposed to be late 2017 BEFORE the latest delay, so I'm saying Spring 2018.

And I think you may see an element or two of Cars Land still, but the entire land isn't going to happen at this point.

This is what drives me nuts. Who the HECK is gonna care about Avatar in 2018? People barely care about it now! I don't give a fig about the first film making a boatload of money - that was then this is NOW. What if the second movie disappoints and/or underperforms? Avatar as a franchise has no proven track record! Potter does! Star Wars does! And for crying out loud DISNEY creations do! The idea of adding Avatar to AK was STUPID! When is Iger going to grow a pair and admit he effed up?

Captain Neo

This is what drives me nuts. Who the HECK is gonna care about Avatar in 2018? People barely care about it now! I don't give a fig about the first film making a boatload of money - that was then this is NOW. What if the second movie disappoints and/or underperforms? Avatar as a franchise has no proven track record! Potter does! Star Wars does! And for crying out loud DISNEY creations do! The idea of adding Avatar to AK was STUPID! When is Iger going to grow a pair and admit he effed up?

Avatar will have new movies every year starting in 2016. They want the land to have content from the new trilogy in addition to the old movie.

rckid

Magenta, its because Iger is a business man and although Avatar has no track record, he figures since enough people actually saw it in theaters, those same people loved the special effects of the film, not the story itself and that is for the most part what the Avatar land is going to be about is recreating the beautiful Pandora. it does make little sense since for them to build the land before part 2 and 3 come out to see if they let the franchise prosper or plummet, because what if you're right and part 2 and 3 underperform? well I bet Disney will try and come up with something to replace it not long after that. But since the first one did make so much money and since James Cameron himself has a big hand in the creation of Avatar Land, I guess mr. Iger is taking his chances.

the.dreamfinder

Magenta, its because Iger is a business man and although Avatar has no track record, he figures since enough people actually saw it in theaters, those same people loved the special effects of the film, not the story itself and that is for the most part what the Avatar land is going to be about is recreating the beautiful Pandora. it does make little sense since for them to build the land before part 2 and 3 come out to see if they let the franchise prosper or plummet, because what if you're right and part 2 and 3 underperform? well I bet Disney will try and come up with something to replace it not long after that. But since the first one did make so much money and since James Cameron himself has a big hand in the creation of Avatar Land, I guess mr. Iger is taking his chances.
Bob Iger's ego has a Harry Potter sized hole, Avatar is his attempt to rectify this. Or... he could always fire the exec who let Harry Potter go: Jay Rasulo.

The Empress Lilly

Still holding out for a Ratatouille clone.
I had the pleasure of a quick peek just yesterday. Boy oh boy! Rat is going to be phenomenal. The area and showbuilding are HUGE, looking gorgeous too. How much fun the ride itself is going to be remains to be seen, but my money's on something closer to Tokyo's Pooh than SEA's pinguins.

I don't see them cloning it in WDW. The outside area is too reminiscent of World Showcase France. And whereas Rat strenghtens the identity of the French resort, it is pretty much a forgotten franchise in America.

Soon, the stateside Disney parks will be the only ones without a magnificent trackless ride. I don't think that will last, I'd wager sooner or later some trackless ride is going to be built. Here's hoping it's not Pixar based!

Pentacat

I had the pleasure of a quick peek just yesterday. Boy oh boy! Rat is going to be phenomenal. The area and showbuilding are HUGE, looking gorgeous too. How much fun the ride itself is going to be remains to be seen, but my money's on something closer to Tokyo's Pooh than SEA's pinguins.

I don't see them cloning it in WDW. The outside area is too reminiscent of World Showcase France. And whereas Rat strenghtens the identity of the French resort, it is pretty much a forgotten franchise in America.

Soon, the stateside Disney parks will be the only ones without a magnificent trackless ride. I don't think that will last, I'd wager sooner or later some trackless ride is going to be built. Here's hoping it's not Pixar based!

Is the attraction too huge to fit behind the France WS Pavillion? Just curious, of course adding attractions to Epcot:WS is probably as likely as the Wand making a return at this point.

WDWDad13

Captain Neo.......wasn't "Pixar Place" built with the intension to add more "Pixar" themed attractions besides just a Toy Story ride and a Toy Story meet & greet? I remember hearing rumors that the building that's next door to Toy Story Mania was rumored to be converted into a roller coaster themed to Monsters Inc. Pixar Place is a disappointment of a land in my opinion and yes, I was expecting future expansion of that area

This is EXACTLY what Disney needs to do... expand Pixar Place and add numerous both small and some larger Pixar based/themed attractions....the possibilities are huge.... we don't have to have a dedicated carsland like in cali... build a Pixar themed land and don't limit yourself... indoor dark rides, coasters, hell I'd even take a spinner if done right lol

I think they are more focused on larger themed "lands" now adays since Hairyless Potter and all

NormC

Do you know if there are there any plans of placing the hat somewhere else or getting rid of it completely?
It is unlikely to be reused. It already needs repairs. There are rust and other stains on it. Some of the seams appear to be splitting open. It would not likely survive the removal intact and why spend money to restore it.

Captain Neo

This is EXACTLY what Disney needs to do... expand Pixar Place and add numerous both small and some larger Pixar based/themed attractions....the possibilities are huge.... we don't have to have a dedicated carsland like in cali... build a Pixar themed land and don't limit yourself... indoor dark rides, coasters, hell I'd even take a spinner if done right lol

I think they are more focused on larger themed "lands" now adays since Hairyless Potter and all

Pixar isn't big anymore though. Monsters did well because its a sequel to an older film but Cars 2 and Brave underperformed and got poor critical reception. It's not the premium hit factory that it was ten years ago. Marvel and Lucasfilm are far better investments because of their proven success across multiple decades. Since they can't use Marvel in FL they will be using Lucasfilm properties.

Honestly, It would probably be a better idea to just dump pixar place and build an Indiana Jones themed land in that area with a new version of Temple of the Forbidden Eye. They also have a new animated fantasy film in development that I think would be an awesome dark ride in the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom