Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

HMF

I agree that the placement if the hat is not ideal. I would rather see it out side the entrance to the park, but don't get rid if it!

I have another confession to make: I also liked the wand on SE! But, to my defense, you have to realize that my first trip to WDW was in the summer of 1999. The giant 2000 went on SE right after that, and then the wand. When I look at it now, it just looks so plain! So, shoot me again.
The wand worked in it's original context as the centerpiece of the Millenium Celebration but once it was changed to read Epcot and left up for 7 more years it became a problem.

Someone I met online who claims to be a neighbor of a neighbor of a WDW bus driver told me that they are building a large hat rack and the Sorcerer hat will be hung on that. That way people will be able to see the theater yet the hat will still be there for those who like it. It's just gotta be true!! ;)
That would be awesome!!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
2812206480_892cb97c5b.jpg

It was used as the icon.

Then they used the theater, ToT and the earful tower as interchangeable icons (they still sorta do this today).

Look at the current garbage cans next time you are at DHS:

HB+Trash+Can+Logo.jpg

Check out the unobstructed masterpiece:

The%20Great%20Movie%20Ride%2001.jpg

Imagine having a revamp of GMR and that great entrance coming down Hollywood Blvd restored?

Litem&Hyde

I don't think anyone, or very few people for that matter, are saying that they want the Chinese Theater to be the "Icon" for the park (as in, the graphic used to represent the park in marketing materials and merchandise). We just don't like the hat in its current location. It blocked the view of the most fantastic architectural elements in the park, and completely ruined the view down a symbolic, and iconic, Hollywood Boulevard.

I disliked the Epcot wand more than I dislike the hat. But I absolutely HATE the placement of the hat. If they had put it out front of the park, in the entry plaza (as it was originally designed), it would be just fine as both a landmark and the "Icon".

My vote would be to trash it or move it. But in no scenario would my vote be for anything that allows something to continue to block the Chinese Theater.

They should put it on top of Spaceship Earth and get the whole project Sponsored by Jack in the Box.

images

Langdonj

I saw this thread trending and started reading. Then I noticed that it started in 2009. Did I miss a reply that indicated that the issue has been re-raised? Sorry for those who experienced premature exHATelation.

NormC

Yes the clock is ticking. Its days are numbered. It will be cheaper to take it down then to repair it. It is in a sad state. We were just there in Feb and it needs work badly. Birds and weather have not been kind to it. It was not built to be a permanent structure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom