Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Kman101

On it's way out? I guess technically it's been on it's way out for 5 years now.

I just struggle to understand the love and care put into Buena Vista Street at DCA, yet we got a hat to ruin the theming down Hollywood Boulveard. Sigh. (I totally get that these were done a decade apart, of course). I also understand people like the hat, it's all they know as the 'icon' but, really, it just does NOT belong there. It doesn't.

FerretAfros

I think the tree of life is from Bugs Life, part of the reason there was ITTBAB

The Tree of Life was under construction long before they decided to add it's tough to be a bug, so I doubt that it was any part of the inspiration for it. The 3D movie was rushed into production to give the park another opening day attraction and the whole thing was created in about 9 months, using a 3rd party animation studio since Pixar was busy with production of the feature (which is part of the reason Flik is the only familiar character in the film itself). It opened about 7 months prior to a bug's life hit theaters, so it's very unlikely that it served as any sort of meaningful inspiration for the park's design, especially since this was back before Pixar was a part of Disney.

Consequently, the queue of DCA's ITTBAB winds around the island from the film, including the tree in the middle of it. It's nicely detailed, but nowhere near the scale of the DAK queue:
DCA3-002.jpg

righttrack

[DrEvilVoice]Replace it with a frickin Death Star....that's right...I said it...a FRICKIN DEATH STAR!!!! Mwuaahhahhahhahhah[/DrEvilVoice]

Cesar R M

The Tree of Life was under construction long before they decided to add it's tough to be a bug, so I doubt that it was any part of the inspiration for it. The 3D movie was rushed into production to give the park another opening day attraction and the whole thing was created in about 9 months, using a 3rd party animation studio since Pixar was busy with production of the feature (which is part of the reason Flik is the only familiar character in the film itself). It opened about 7 months prior to a bug's life hit theaters, so it's very unlikely that it served as any sort of meaningful inspiration for the park's design, especially since this was back before Pixar was a part of Disney.

Consequently, the queue of DCA's ITTBAB winds around the island from the film, including the tree in the middle of it. It's nicely detailed, but nowhere near the scale of the DAK queue:
DCA3-002.jpg

speaking of construction, this video is awesome.

lazyboy97o

On it's way out? I guess technically it's been on it's way out for 5 years now.

I just struggle to understand the love and care put into Buena Vista Street at DCA, yet we got a hat to ruin the theming down Hollywood Boulveard. Sigh. (I totally get that these were done a decade apart, of course). I also understand people like the hat, it's all they know as the 'icon' but, really, it just does NOT belong there. It doesn't.
Buena Vista Street is "Disney" because it has all of the forced Disney History, Hollywood Boulevard without the Hat is not "Disney."

Goofyernmost

Apparently, this particular clock has a massive spring on it because it is still ticking with no sign of stopping. Personally, I'll just wait until I get there one day and it is gone, then I will say... Hey, the big ugly hat has been removed or just moved, either one will do.

Kman101

It's interesting to re-read the thread, and see how the closure of AIE would be the start of Star Wars (and the hat removal has always seemed to be a part of any plan that gets leaked). And yes, the contract is ending for AIE, but things do seem to slooooowly be falling into place.

Let's hope nothing is delayed again and things start finally happening. Just think, we ALMOST started off 2014 without the hat and SW would have been started. Guess there's hope for all that with the start of 2015 :)

Gullywhumper

Hollywood Boulevard is a beautifully designed entrance which is supposed to immerse you into "classic Hollywood". Tell me, which screams "classic Hollywood" to you?

This?

ab8b9cdd81433f6dd4e5eb89fe0e3f60_zpsa8769ed9.jpg

Or this?

0649ef6708f671262f64c3b0fccde842_zpsa06206be.jpg

Just ponder those two pictures for a moment, and it won't be hard to realize why everybody hates the hat.
They should have put the hat somewhere else.

So... 82 pages of replies later, and the rumor has still to flesh out. Well, whilst we wait (forever) for new news about the sorcerer hat, watch this video. It was filmed in WDW in 1993, as the vacation planning video. Specifically zoom it forward to 10:30 to see DHS in the glory days, WITHOUT the hat...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom