Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

But it's functional! The billions of times CM is asked "where's the bathroom?". "Head for that tower".
Haha you are so right! I work at the HM, and those are the closest restrooms to us! But I also get asked a million times, "What is that?" or "Can we go in it?" or "Is it a ride?" or "Can we meet Rapunzel there?" and I hate having to sugar coat it when I really just want to say, "No. There are pretty bathrooms."

jdmdisney99

But I can see Everest from summit plummet and I can see the tree of life from there too - hell I can see the top of France in a Epcot from rooms in beach club and can even see Spaceship rasht from dare I say it rooms in hotels at Downtown disney area .... It's a feature so why does it need to be hidden it just needs an apt re location :)
Wow. Have we come to the point where place making is completely ignored? People complain that the hat is terribly ruining the theme on Hollywood Boulevard, but it's fine to see it from World Showcase? I agree with you last statement though. It needs an "APT RELOCATION". In a proper place, where theme isn't ruined. Also, the examples you provided are high places where those icons are meant to be seen. You are not supposed to see a bright blue cone from Epcot.
You can see a midevil castle at the end of a turn of the century American Main Street.

Give it a rest.
Completely different. The castle acts as a gateway into a land that agrees with the castle's theme. It fits thematic quality as it is actually separated from Main Street, and is placed in a proper area. The hat is just plopped down in the middle of a land based on the booming city of Hollywood, it doesn't act as a gateway to any thematically agreeing area, and it blocks the real castle that is a continuation of the proper land.
I'm not so sure that moving it 300 yards will make it any more visible from World Showcase; it would still be more than 0.75mi from the backside of the closest pavilions
I disagree.

NoChesterHester

Wow. Have we come to the point where place making is completely ignored? People complain that the hat is terribly ruining the theme on Hollywood Boulevard, but it's fine to see it from World Showcase? I agree with you last statement though. It needs an "APT RELOCATION". In a proper place, where theme isn't ruined. Also, the examples you provided are high places where those icons are meant to be seen. You are not supposed to see a bright blue cone from Epcot.

Completely different. The castle acts as a gateway into a land that agrees with the castle's theme. It fits thematic quality as it is actually separated from Main Street, and is placed in a proper area. The hat is just plopped down in the middle of a land based on the booming city of Hollywood, it doesn't act as a gateway to any thematically agreeing area, and it blocks the real castle that is a continuation of the proper land.

I disagree.

I must clarify. I was objecting to the grousing over long view thematic disruptions. I think it is silly to worry about seeing the top of the hat from three quarters of a mile away.

I don't mind long vista thematic interruptions. Things like seeing the castle at the end of Main Street isn't disconcerting to me. Neither is seeing the Swan from World Showcase. It doesn't bother me seeing tomorrow land from Splash Mountain. Totally different I agree.

The hat has zero business at the end of Hollywood Boulevard. Zero. That is a carefully crafted environment in theme, scale, and sequence.

danniyell

I disagree.

At the end of the day everyone has different opinions here. I didn't say that it 'terribly ruins' the view at Hollywood studios - I really thought it was a nice addition when it was first put in - but I missed the Chinese theatre at the end of the street on entry. I feel that it is really part of Disney's Hollywood Studios now and it would be a shame to not keep that connection by just removing it or ditching it somewhere else. Let's make use of it somewhere.
I find that seeing other parks and theming from different vantage points and areas really quite nice - it reminds you that you are visiting the happiest place on earth - Walt Disney World and tomorrow you could be there at DHS enjoying RNRC or chilling at Blizzard beach. :)

Change is sometimes good.

Jwhee

It looked fine when it originally said "100 Years Of Magic" under it. Now since that celebration is over, that BAH has to go! (And BAH= Big A$$ Hat. Right?)

FigmentJedi

They should open a 5th, call it the junk yard. Drop the hat off in it, dead floats from parades, dead animatronics and other never to be used again props. Then people who can't get over change can go to the 5th gate of hell and cry.
They did two video games about that already. Other then making certain characters relevant again, it didn't work out that well.

NoChesterHester

I wish Imagineering had full reign/control instead of TDO.

Well... Kind of.

Without business executives the company would be bankrupt and nothing would ever get finished.

This is coming from a "creative." Proper design requires constraints.

Don't get me wrong: The stasis that TDO preaches is indefensible. I despise it. BUT the reality is that every good artist needs a patron. Where is the passion for the art in the current WDC? I don't see it.

discos

For a "temporary" structure, it definitely seems like they built it more to be permenant. This is all part of their corporate agenda.

jdmdisney99

At the end of the day everyone has different opinions here. I didn't say that it 'terribly ruins' the view at Hollywood studios - I really thought it was a nice addition when it was first put in - but I missed the Chinese theatre at the end of the street on entry. I feel that it is really part of Disney's Hollywood Studios now and it would be a shame to not keep that connection by just removing it or ditching it somewhere else. Let's make use of it somewhere.
I find that seeing other parks and theming from different vantage points and areas really quite nice - it reminds you that you are visiting the happiest place on earth - Walt Disney World and tomorrow you could be there at DHS enjoying RNRC or chilling at Blizzard beach. :)

Change is sometimes good.
I didn't say you said that. But others do, so what would be the fix if you just fixed one view and displaced another? To your second point, IMO it's just as much of a part of the park as the Theater and I agree it would be great to have that back. But why make it a part of World Showcase too? To your final statement, I agree. I never disagreed. But you can still see DHS without the Hat. I also agree that the hat should be salvaged, but elsewhere...let's agree to disagree then. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom