Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

NearTheEars

I understand the hate towards the hat but frankly, I'd rather they take out the ugly huge stage that blocks the giant hat that's supposed to be the park's icon.
Seriously. The area is rather redundant. You have a huge stage that blocks a huge hat that blocks the Chinese theater ._.

I thought so one reported that the stage was gone? I'll see for myself tomorrow.

BryceM

What if they built another Chinese Theater?
They should totally build another, smaller, cartoony Chinese Theater, put the stage back (but theme it to Teen Beach Movie AND Monsters University), then the hat, then the real Chinese Theater behind it. It's like, four icons in one! Then they should hang Disney Planes and Frozen posters all over the Chinese Theater itself, and have the queue become one giant Frozen dance party, with the latest hits like Blurred Lines and We Can't Stop!

A1st

They should totally build another, smaller, cartoony Chinese Theater, put the stage back (but theme it to Teen Beach Movie AND Monsters University), then the hat, then the real Chinese Theater behind it. It's like, four icons in one! Then they should hang Disney Planes and Frozen posters all over the Chinese Theater itself, and have the queue become one giant Frozen dance party, with the latest hits like Blurred Lines and We Can't Stop!
Boy, that escalated quickly

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
The removal of the BAH has been a rumor since 2009 (the start of this thread). That's over 4 years. I can't help but think it is here to stay. And to be honest -imo- WDW has bigger fish to fry at this point. Right now the hat is just an eyesore - The fact DHS is 25 years old and still a half-day park is embarrassing.
Hmmmmm, maybe if we just wait long enough, chunks of it will start to fall off, and the powers-that-be will decide it's cheaper to demo it, rather than to install nets underneath it or strobe light it.

Seabasealpha1

I agree. I also feel that removing the hat would be like removing a piece of a lot of people's childhood memories as well
Eh...it's Disney...they be like "Meemories? We don't need no steeking meemories!"
no+stinking+badges.jpg

Though, honestly, there should be a cutout of myself behind Harvey and Slim there...'cause ooooh I hate that darn hat (Yosemite Sam Voice here!)... either move it or kill it off...

Last edited:

Seabasealpha1

One thing I should mention, The recent destination america special 'ultimate walt disney world' only shows the Earful Tower, and doesn't mention or show the hat. This could be in response to the recent report...

(user WDW1974 has reported that Disney has ordered all departments to stop using the Sorcerer's Hat as the park icon for Hollywood Studios)
I guess the question would be who edited the film? If it's Lightstorm who did the other versions of the "Ultimate Walt Disney World" shows, were they informed as to why? Did they have orders...or did they just figure on doing something different?

IowaHawks7

Perhaps if the hat is going they want first time visitors to remember the water tower instead of the hat.

Disney has also been selling shirts with earful tower as well
I like this point that you make. If Disney is making and selling tshirts with the earful tower then it must be because they want it as the icon, or its what they want the park guests to remember. The only problem with this theory is that, would park guest really remember the earful tower over the hat, so long as the hat is still there? I think its a good business plan to phase the hat out. But i just cant wrap my head around the idea that the average park guest wouldn't recognize the hat as the park's icon.

FutureWorld1982

Apparently the hat will go before thanksgiving, (according to Orlando theme park news). This would give 2014 a fresh start without the hat, giving the park time to adapt to a new icon.

Rumours are Rumours though :mad::arghh:

At this point I think plans may have changed, as they may wait a little longer until the expansion plans are finalized. Think about that: Cars Land looked like it was a sure thing for DHS a few months ago!

mickey2008.1

I like the earful tower, but the only problem I have with it being an icon, is that it hardly visible. It's way in the back, and you have to look for it. All the other icons are right in your face, not this one. Why?

Admiral01

Premium Member
I like the earful tower, but the only problem I have with it being an icon, is that it hardly visible. It's way in the back, and you have to look for it. All the other icons are right in your face, not this one. Why?

Because back in the day, Disney Parks didn't have to be all in your face with everything. They had a subtle charm that, sadly, is lacking today. The Earful Tower fit the theme of a working movie studio, and you got to see it while on the marquee ride.

Besides, I always felt the Chinese Theater was a great focal point for the park. The Chinese Theater and the Earful Tower represented two ends of a spectrum, a dichotomy if you will, of icons for the park - one representing the hard work it takes to make a movie, and the other representing the grandeur and beauty of a completed motion picture. The Chinese Theater, representing the beauty and grandeur of the movies, was right out in front to see. The Earful Tower, representing the hard work it takes to make a movie, was buried inside the working studio. It worked. It worked really, really well.

Then they put up that BAH and destroyed the thematic masterpiece that had been created a decade earlier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom