Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

The Rocketeer

I think this was already mentioned but I wonder what runDisney will use on their shirts?
View attachment 83831
Earful Tower like it should be.
image.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Friends, Disney Fans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury BAH, not to praise him.
The evil that imagineers do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with BAH. The noble Brutus
Hath told you BAH was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath BAH answer’d it...........

YOU WIN THE INTERNET TODAY - WOO HOO!!!!!

WDWArchitectureGuy

YOU WIN THE INTERNET TODAY - WOO HOO!!!!!
Thank You! Wow this is totally unexpected. *wipes tear from my eyes*. I'd like to thank the Academy, my agent Billy Shakes, my parents for imparting their love of classical literature on me, my beautiful wife for loving me even through the horrible pun times, and lastly to a man named Walt whose inspirations, and determination gave us so much joy....and to my fans. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

WDWArchitectureGuy

I think this was already mentioned but I wonder what runDisney will use on their shirts?
View attachment 83831
The runners shirts were printed months and months and months ago. Hadn't refined the designs yet.

Earful Tower like it should be.
View attachment 83833
I bought that shirt. And I talked with a runDisney guy (not a volunteer) about the shirt designs while I was standing in the official merchandise store. He said this was the last year to have the hat on any runDisney merch.

John Fowler

Thank You! Wow this is totally unexpected. *wipes tear from my eyes*. I'd like to thank the Academy, my agent Billy Shakes, my parents for imparting their love of classical literature on me, my beautiful wife for loving me even through the horrible pun times, and lastly to a man named Walt whose inspirations, and determination gave us so much joy....and to my fans. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

You forgot to thank the Almighty above for giving you the talent. For shame my friend for shame! :p:bookworm::cyclops::joyfull:

BrerJon

I definitely wasn't a fan of the hat where it stood, but I still think it wouldnt have been a bad idea to move it over and make it the entrance to Fantasmic, if possible (I think I got that idea from somewhere else in this thread years back). Would that have been possible?

No, not really. The hat may have looked like a giant fibreglass object that could be lifted up, but it was actually a building, and usually the only way to relocate a building is to demolish it and rebuild somewhere else, so it would have to be a new hat whatever happened.

The other issue with the old hat is it was so large - as Hollywood Boulevard has its perspective restored, and the Chinese Theatre comes back into view, people are forgetting how enormously tall it was - so if it was moved over to Fantasmic you'd probably see it from Epcot, as I think a poster many pages back illustrated, so it would just create more problems.

Building a small hat at the Fantasmic entrance as a photo op might be possible, but money would probably be better spent elsewhere.

RayTheFirefly

No, not really. The hat may have looked like a giant fibreglass object that could be lifted up, but it was actually a building, and usually the only way to relocate a building is to demolish it and rebuild somewhere else, so it would have to be a new hat whatever happened.

The other issue with the old hat is it was so large - as Hollywood Boulevard has its perspective restored, and the Chinese Theatre comes back into view, people are forgetting how enormously tall it was - so if it was moved over to Fantasmic you'd probably see it from Epcot, as I think a poster many pages back illustrated, so it would just create more problems.

Building a small hat at the Fantasmic entrance as a photo op might be possible, but money would probably be better spent elsewhere.
Maybe they kept the tip for just that purpose. :p

yellowrocket

Speaking of the Earful Tower... looks like there might have been another one (obviously besides the one at WDS in Paris and the tower on the Disney backlot).

From Jerry Rees' website...
"Robin Williams, Walter Cronkite and Jerry Rees prepare for the opening scene. The Mickey Mouse water tower in the background isn't the real thing in Florida, but a large scale model in Hollywood."

Attachments

• stacks_image_1060_1.jpg
    stacks_image_1060_1.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 142

The Rocketeer

Speaking of the Earful Tower... looks like there might have been another one (obviously besides the one at WDS in Paris and the tower on the Disney backlot).

"Robin Williams, Walter Cronkite and Jerry Rees prepare for the opening scene. The Mickey Mouse water tower in the background isn't the real thing in Florida, but a large scale model in Hollywood."
That makes sense, the logo never looked exactly like that at MGM, Mickey was and is always on the sides, not front and center.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Goofyernmost

So, construction type people.
It's hard to tell based on the construction pictures of the BAH, but is the next move likely to crane out the entire ring? I can't tell if it was constructed full and lifted into place, or pieced together there onsite, based on the pictures. The ring seems to have gone up in 3 days during construction:

Mar 12, 2001
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...orcerer-mickey-hat-icon-construction/3408.htm

Mar 15, 2001
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...orcerer-mickey-hat-icon-construction/3412.htm
If you look around the edge of the circular ridge that is left you will notice some notches along the top. I would say that is where they will cut out the sections. The last pieces should be the ones that are directly resting on the three remaining posts (legs). Small sections probably about the same size as the pieces that are bolted together that are very visible.

BrerJon

That makes sense. They wouldn't have wanted to pay for Robin and Walter to have to go to Florida, and as Back To Neverland was an opening day attraction there would have been construction everywhere even if they had tried.

doctornick

It will be necessary once Star Wars Land is built if they decide to keep Echo Lake. It will act as a barrier from Stars Wars to the park entrance

This has always been my thought. Echo Lake serves as a great barrier between distinct lands. You keep can keep Prime Time/H&V and make them part of Hollywood Boulevard and you can have a pretty distinct Star Wars Land separated from the hub of the park. The biggest issue would be Gertie, which I'd love to keep, so maybe it can be moved to the side of the lake near H&V? Or if not, hopefully, she can be moved to somewhere else in the park. Having Gertie on the side of the lake next to Star Wars isn't ideal. You can certainly keep Min and Bill's where it is.

You might have to add some more landscaping or maybe some sort of an entrance gate to further separate the areas, but in general removing the lake would seem IMHO to create more mixing of themes and be a bigger issue. In addition to causing the loss of the only water feature in the park.

tirian

I definitely wasn't a fan of the hat where it stood, but I still think it wouldnt have been a bad idea to move it over and make it the entrance to Fantasmic, if possible (I think I got that idea from somewhere else in this thread years back). Would that have been possible?

Well it would've looked very awkward standing right next to the Tower of Terror.

And it would have looked awful towering over World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom