Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

draybook

I know that it's not exactly "current", but this is what remained a little under a week ago. I think I took this on the 16th.

20150216_163520_zps8e50d3f9.jpg

This was the view from TGMR.

tirian

It may not happen, but if it would I would go hug Tom Staggs and weep right in front of him.. Too far, I don't know, but he knocked it out of the park this time.. Literally!

( I know it wasn't his discion alone, this was my sad attempt at being somewhat funny)
I'm thrilled to see it coming down, but Staggs had very little to do with it. This is a combination of WDI's hatred for the thing* and the need to rebrand DHS as an Adventure.

*For all the Disney fanboys and girls whose tears for the hat's demise have watered tiny flower boxes across America: sorry to burst your bubble, but WDI's top creatives hated the hat because it ruined the park's atmosphere. They said so many times, both in public and in Q&A sessions among Cast Members. Nobody whose opinion mattered considered the BAH to be a perfect icon of Disney Magic, Movie Magic, Fantasmic, Fantasia, Mickey, or anything else you've imagined. The BAH outlived its welcome because it cost too much to tear down at an earlier time. That's the only reason it was still there.

G00fyDad

I'm thrilled to see it coming down, but Staggs had very little to do with it. This is a combination of WDI's hatred for the thing* and the need to rebrand DHS as an Adventure.

*For all the Disney fanboys and girls whose tears for the hat's demise have watered tiny flower boxes across America: sorry to burst your bubble, but WDI's top creatives hated the hat because it ruined the park's atmosphere. They said so many times, both in public and in Q&A sessions among Cast Members. Nobody whose opinion mattered considered the BAH to be a perfect icon of Disney Magic, Movie Magic, Fantasmic, Fantasia, Mickey, or anything else you've imagined. The BAH outlived its welcome because it cost too much to tear down at an earlier time. That's the only reason it was still there.

You'll never convince some of them of this truth. I actually had one person argue with me that the Hat was there from the park's opening day and that Disney is destroying something that everyone in the world holds dear. :facepalm:

The Rocketeer

You'll never convince some of them of this truth. I actually had one person argue with me that the Hat was there from the park's opening day and that Disney is destroying something that everyone in the world holds dear. :facepalm:
When I told my sister where the progress was this morning and she looked sad and said "but it's the icon!" I immediately walked out of the room. It's been there since my first visit, but I'm overjoyed it's almost gone.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
Took these tonight...View attachment 83989
View attachment 83990

It's like some Mad Max Thunderdome looking thing right now, but won't be long before it's below the walls. (My only hope is that there's only smooth pavement before the 6th anniversary of this thread)
Boy oh boy, does that first picture ever illustrate how badly those spires are needed.
Thank goodness they are presumably returning.

Great pics, thanks.

Cesar R M

Based on the way the supports are arranged, it looks like the section marked as 1 will be the first to go.

QUtL3hY.jpg

My best guess is that 2 through 5 will go next, in that order. When 4 goes, the largest support pillar there will come down.

Of course I may be all wrong - let's see what happens. Any thoughts from other engineers in the crowd?
I honestly think they will remove 2 and 1 in a single sitting.

DisneyRoy

I'm just surprised how haphazard the supports are. Some steel beams sort of stacked back and forth on one column of scaffold, each. If anything, that just yells out "this is temporary". The ring will be coming down fast.

I have to agree here. With those scaffolds, there is no way those are there to support any substantial weight. My guess is they are just there in case the main supports fail during removal. I think the whole ring will have to come down at once.

But I could also be wrong....we shall see in the morning. Hopefully....

DisneyGentleman

I honestly think they will remove 2 and 1 in a single sitting.
I'm thinking they will do 2 segments a night and cut them into the smaller segments. The big issue is rigging the load and bringing it to the ground gently. For these odd-shaped pieces, holding-on to them can be a challenge. hence they are making them smaller.

As for the supports, those are standard. They only push in one direction - up. Next time you see a concrete overpass going up, you will see the same thing. And if you look carefully at this picture of the construction of the hat, you will see that they used pretty much the same supports and locations to put it up. The only difference is that it went up in big sections - it wasn't covered in junk as it is now.

lzWg2B5.jpg

Cesar R M

I have to agree here. With those scaffolds, there is no way those are there to support any substantial weight. My guess is they are just there in case the main supports fail during removal. I think the whole ring will have to come down at once.

But I could also be wrong....we shall see in the morning. Hopefully....
I honestly believe they are there for equilibrium purposes.
not to handle all the weight.
the weight will still be handled by the main pillars, but if you remove a big chunk on one of the sides of the big ring.. the weight load will be too hard on the main support lines.

I'm thinking they will do 2 segments a night and cut them into the smaller segments. The big issue is rigging the load and bringing it to the ground gently. For these odd-shaped pieces, holding-on to them can be a challenge. hence they are making them smaller.

As for the supports, those are standard. They only push in one direction - up. Next time you see a concrete overpass going up, you will see the same thing. And if you look carefully at this picture of the construction of the hat, you will see that they used pretty much the same supports and locations to put it up. The only difference is that it went up in big sections - it wasn't covered in junk as it is now.

lzWg2B5.jpg

I agree with that!

Goofyernmost

Took these tonight...View attachment 83989

It's like some Mad Max Thunderdome looking thing right now, but won't be long before it's below the walls. (My only hope is that there's only smooth pavement before the 6th anniversary of this thread)

Boy oh boy, does that first picture ever illustrate how badly those spires are needed.
Thank goodness they are presumably returning.

Great pics, thanks.
The spires are needed only to calm those of us that have seen it with them. Others are totally unaware of their previous existence. Now something that is noticeable by everyone new and old, might be the neon sign on the right side of the theater. That really needs to be fixed ASAP.
I honestly believe they are there for equilibrium purposes.
not to handle all the weight.
the weight will still be handled by the main pillars, but if you remove a big chunk on one of the sides of the big ring.. the weight load will be too hard on the main support lines.
I'm sure that is correct. The hand/ear assembly was also a big part of the support of the BAH. Without that and with the rest of the unifying structure gone those are just there for the purpose of stabilization. Those are big pieces, and since it doesn't really seem to need a lot of concern about the way it is cute down, there is a good chance that they will take it down one complete section at a time. With the rigging that would be required to hold it in place and lift it to be removed to the ground, I would be surprised if it came down any faster then one section at a time/night, and the first section would be the one furthest away from the current supports.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom